AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Teenage Bottlerocket - 10.19.09

Teenage Bottlerocket - 10.19.09

Interviewed by
Teenage Bottlerocket - 10.19.09AbsolutePunk.net: Please introduce yourself to those unfamiliar with who you are and what you do within the band.
Ray Carlisle: I'm Ray. I sing and play guitar... and I''m drunk.

Always a good sign of things to come! Alright, first thing first: how awesome is it to finally be a part of the Fat Wreck family?
It's great. We are still a little overwhelmed, [because] Fat is a bad ass label.

Not many bands come from Wyoming, particularly in the pop-punk scene. How did you guys manage to make a name for yourself coming from such an unpopulated state?
That's a good question. Maybe just luck? We have always just written tunes that we love and it's cool that people tend to think the same.

Maybe you guys could convince the people at Yellowstone to hold a big festival of some sort, with Teenage Bottlerocket as the headliners. Sounds reasonable, right?
That would rule! Maybe Harrison Ford would show up. He lives in Jackson Hole.

Teenage Indiana Bottlejoneses? Anyway, the splits you have released with Broadway Calls and The Ergs are fantastic. Any chance you'll be doing more of those in the future, perhaps with some labelmates on Fat?
We don't have any plans for splits as of now, but we would be stoked to do anything like that in the future -- especially a split with Dead To Me.

Ooh, that would be killer! I know plenty of fans who'd dig that. There are a lot of people who wouldn't hesitate to say your last couple albums have reinvigorated the general consensus on pop-punk, that it's not just for dudes who love girl pants. Do you want to take any credit for the resurgence of respect for a genre tainted by whiny teenagers... and Simple Plan?
We don't take any credit. The scene has a huge list of great bands at this point. We feel lucky to be able to do what we do... especially being from Wyoming.

Your music is heavily obviously influenced by what many would refer to as "classic pop-punk." Considering the fact it's still a highly oversaturated genre, how do you feel you fit in?
It's mostly because of the vocals. Without our voices, its just three-chords (okay, sometimes four) in the background. Distinctive vocals do a lot for the band.

Songs like "Bigger Than Kiss" and "Skate or Die" just seem to showcase a wonderfully tongue-in-cheek but still witty side to the band. Where do these inventive ideas come from?
Kody [Templeman, guitar/vocals] wrote both of those tunes. I have no clue how he comes up with the lyrics. He's a bad ass!

Any chance you'll be playing "Bigger Than Kiss" to Gene or Paul next time they roll through on a farewell tour?
(laughs) Maybe! I wonder if any of those assholes have heard our tune? (laughs)

Gene's too busy pitching Dr. Pepper. Tell us about your plans for the rest of the year and beyond.
We plan on touring as much as we can and keep on writing tunes. We have always gone with the formula of record, tour and repeat.

Any possibility the Lillingtons will be resurrected again in the future?
I wouldn't be the one to ask, but we love the Lillingtons and anything they do, I stand behind 100%.

Ben Weasel... is he really that bad of a guy? Feelings seem to be mixed on his contribution to the pop-punk scene.

(laughs) I don't know him personally, other than a couple hang sessions here and there. He seems like an alright guy. No matter what the dude thinks or types, I will always love the songs he writes, except for the new Riverdales record/ That one fell a little short for my taste.

Recommend us some bands we have yet to hear about.
The best pop-punk record to come out in the past 10 years is the Varsity Weirdos' 7" "Fly Me Up To The Moon". I never regret putting that thing on.

Okay, finally, where do we need to come hang out and see you on the road?

We recently went to the Claremont Lounge in Atlanta. It was a great time. If you ever have the chance, I suggest you go.

Thanks a million for taking time to answer some questions. Best of luck out on the road, man.

Teenage Bottlerocket are out on the road the rest of the fall with The Lawrence Arms and Cobra Skulls. Make sure to snag their wonderful new record, They Came From the Shadows, today!

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
10:53 AM on 10/22/09
showstopper
User Info.
POP PUNK IS NOT DEAD - Thanks to TBR.Kody does write some of the best pop punk songs.These guys just rock and i have to admit Kody's voice is unique and fits the sound of this band.Thanks Chris for the interview.
07:44 PM on 10/22/09
the andyspecial
the andyspecial
User Info.
thanks for the lillingtons mention! Newcastle Wyoming deserves a little bit of cred, but proud the little Laramie band that could is getting some focus.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos