1. How did you get your band name?
Our band name, Gabriel the Marine, is a writing concept. All the lyrics fit into short stories that we have written and released in correspondence with our self-titled EP. The main character is Gabriel, and he is a "Marine" due to the subject matter of the story, which is inner conflict.
2. How did this band get started?
The band was started, like most bands are started; our previous band dissolved so we brought in some new members and tried to revamp things by creating music and art with a completely different approach.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
If Miles Davis, Igor Stravinsky, and Fats Domino tried to write a pop record together, that's what we sound like. People say that we remind them of Arcade Fire, Cursive, Manchester Orchestra, Augustana, As Tall As Lions, and Mineral.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
We would tour with Neutral Milk Hotel and Sunny Day Real Estate, because they were very seminal and mysterious bands, and of course we'd want to tour with Coldplay and Radiohead because their music is becoming timeless.
5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
A dog, because they're loyal.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
People should listen to our band because people have a very hard time grouping us into "this genre" or "that genre". We don't really sound like anyone, we have elements of jazz blues and classical music that set us apart, at least from people in our own Long Island music scene.
7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
If we could have one of our songs in one of those games, I guess we'd choose the song "Maybe Baby" because it's our single. It would be moderately challenging to complete, I suppose.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
I would thank my family, my friends, our fans for supporting us, as well as the Long Island Music Scene for instilling a sense of community, family, and a hard work ethic.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Of late, bands seem to be getting screwed by their record companies and they don't last as long as they did in the past. I guess that's the change I'd like to see; band's taking more of an initiative and record companies screwing less people.
10. Memorable tour experience?
Fitting my six foot long body into the trunk of a small tudor for the first time and trying to make it my bed. Needless to say, I couldn't move my neck from left to right for the remainder of the tour.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
Absolute Punk always gives me a feeling of nostalgia; of times when I first started getting into rock music. Absolute Punk pointed me in the right direction on terms of suggesting what bands to listen to. So for that, I am grateful.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
The Gold Coast because it has a unique depth and passion that our other songs don't capture, at least not in the same way.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Ireland, although I've only been there once. 14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Van Morrison, The Beatles, Frank Sinatra, The Who, Saves the Day, Brand New, and J.S. Bach.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
I would want to fly because I'd be able to see the things in my life, like a beach or a forest or a river from a different perspective. I'm sure our little world looks a lot different from the sky.
16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
No, I definitely wouldn't say that. We're a very new band, however, we've gotten things rolling pretty fast. Our singles were on KRock (92.3 FM) within a few weeks of releasing them. We've been very lucky so far, I hope the next record goes as well.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I'm half-Iranian, despite the fact that I don't look it whatsoever.
18. What's your favorite holiday?
Christmas Eve, not Christmas. Because, you spend time for your family and you have time to reflect on your past and your childhood, and you're excited for what's to come. Christmas is lately a let down, because nothing can compare to the excitement that everyone who celebrates Christmas felt when they were young.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I like to hang out with friends, family, my girlfriend. I like to go to shows, write, and film and do things of that nature. I try to keep myself busy; I'll be a great senior citizen.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I'm a classically trained violinist and composer; not that many people know that about me. Everyone in my band sort of has these little alter egos; little hidden talents and personas that people aren't aware of. It's sort of funny, but I'm glad we are all odd, it's more entertaining that way.