AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Weezer- Raditude Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 4
Production 9
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 79%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.53
Musicianship 6.19
Lyrics 4.08
Production 7.06
Creativity 5.31
Lasting Value 5
Reviewer Tilt 5.47
Average: 57%
Inside AP.net

Weezer- Raditude

Reviewed by: thebestkylever (10/24/09)
Weezer- Raditude
Geffen Records
Release Date- November 3, 2009

Ladies and Gentlemen, Rivers Cuomo has finally made it back to the good life.

Releasing their second album in as many years, Weezer is back with Raditude, and I still can't tell if they're trying to be ironic or not. That said, if you're ready to accept Weezer as one of the best pop rock bands in the world, as opposed to the kings of self loathing nerd rock, you will have fun with this album.

Recruiting a smorgasbord of producers and co-writers, the record is bound to be hit or miss... and it is. But when it hits, it is pure gold, and when it misses, it's off by miles. First off is the current hit single co-penned by pop writer/producer/performer extraordinaire Butch Walker called "If You're Wondering If I Want You To (I Want You To)." Telling the story about that awkward part right before a beautiful relationship starts, the lyrics hit as simple, yet relatable. And the music? Oooweeooo, it sounds just like Buddy Holly. Sorry for that, but this song would have sounded right at home in Buddy's hey day.

Unfortunately, that gem is followed up by a couple of weak cuts that feel like more lousy attempts at mass appeal (I'm looking at you... "Beverly Hills)." "I'm Your Daddy" had potential with a solid chorus that wouldn't have sounded out of place on Green, but the wince inducing lyrics and boring verses shot it down. Plus, the whole "daddy" thing is kind of weird. "The Girl Got Hot" is another boring wannabe pop-radio track that is destined to end up on the soundtrack to a future teen movie about a nerd girl that grows boobs and gets popular.

Next is the track that is bound to really, really, really, really piss off the people waiting for a proper follow up to Pinkerton. "Can't Stop Partyin'" is the antithesis of everything that their first record stood for, yet it is somehow awesome. Built around keyboards and drum machines, the song, which stems from an old demo featured on Rivers' second solo LP, is a tribute to the life Rivers longed for during that cold winter on the East coast he spent nursing his post-op leg and studying at Harvard. Odd, even for Weezer, is the cameo by rap-whore Lil Wayne. While the thought of this collaboration is a tad unsettling, it turns out to be completely fitting and entertaining. Weezer in this weezy... it had to happen some time.

The middle of the record is held down by a tune co-written by members of The All American Rejects. "Put Me Back Together" is the kind of song that you know will have a towering chorus upon hearing the first few seconds of the verse. I was extremely skeptical when I first heard of this match up, especially after the mundane, aptly titled "Gives You Hell," but they ended up hitting it out of the park. Kudos, fellas.

The second half of the record keeps to the fast, heavy on the rock, heavier on the pop formula aside from "Love Is The Answer" and the closer "I Don't Want To Let You Go." The former sounding like what Rivers would write during a long journey on The Darjeeling Limited, and the latter sounding like closest to the earnest, vulnerable Rivers we will get during this incarnation of Weezer.

Over the past few years, Weezer has made it abundantly clear that expecting anything in particular from them is an awful idea. You want thick black glasses? Well, here's a mustache. You want an argyle sweater? Well, I'm going to wear a jumpsuit. This band does not give a holy sweet goddamn about pleasing you. They are doing exactly what they want. If you want to cling to the past and shun the rest of their career, they're okay with that. But if you care to join them, they've never seemed so inviting. Looks like a blast to me.

-- Kyle Wood

Recommended If You Like Fountains of Wayne, Ozma, Lil Wayne, Marvelous 3

www.myspace.com/weezer
www.weezer.com

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 27
10:20 PM on 11/08/09
spansen
and then what happens?
User Info.
fair review. i only like about 4 songs on this cd. i like their old stuff a lot, admittedly, but i was still fine with them for the most part... that is, up until this release.
10:39 PM on 11/08/09
The Revisionist
Loves shittyass pop music
User Info.
I thought Red was incredible, for the most part, but I heard the three songs after "I Want You To" and I pretty much decided I wasn't going to care. Maybe I'll check those out. I honestly just don't understand how a 39 year old man can get pure enjoyment out of Miley Cyrus, I guess it's one of the side effects of meditation or something.
10:42 PM on 11/08/09
S9Dallasoz
Knows the words to 'Bye Bye Bye'
User Info.
Can we talk about how great "Let It All Hang Out" is?
11:24 PM on 11/08/09
Poochemist
Not that easy to confuse
User Info.
I would argue that Cuomo really does care about pleasing a lot of people. His focus, at least over the last few years I've followed his odd behavior, has been on writing that hit song. He researches the elements that make a song popular and tries to emulate them in his songs. I can't explain the weird fashion sense, but musically, he's bound by his own desire to write catchy songs, and he's also bound by the desires of Geffen to write commercially successful songs.
12:09 AM on 11/09/09
hectorial85
Saved The Day
User Info.
Top review. Super fair about differentiating old and new. I'm still finding it hard to get into each consecutive album from them and this one is heavy on the b-sides and older tracks but any =w= is good =w=. They are solid songwriters for good time jams.

"Let It All Hang Out" sounds very Green or Maladroit era =w= and is my fave on the record apart from "I Want You To". I'm glad they put some guitar solos back into their songs too.
01:03 AM on 11/09/09
bs7090
User Info.
YES. i couldnt have written a better review myself.
01:14 AM on 11/09/09
thebestkylever
girls like status.
User Info.
I would argue that Cuomo really does care about pleasing a lot of people. His focus, at least over the last few years I've followed his odd behavior, has been on writing that hit song. He researches the elements that make a song popular and tries to emulate them in his songs. I can't explain the weird fashion sense, but musically, he's bound by his own desire to write catchy songs, and he's also bound by the desires of Geffen to write commercially successful songs.
i completely agree that rivers is trying his best to write smash hits. i probably should have made it more clear, but that part was geared more towards the die hard mid nineties weezer fans.
02:20 AM on 11/09/09
introduction
You're not real musician!
User Info.
great review, i don't feel creativity should have gotten so high, and personally, i detest the album, but still, it's a good read.
02:37 AM on 11/09/09
Poochemist
Not that easy to confuse
User Info.
i completely agree that rivers is trying his best to write smash hits. i probably should have made it more clear, but that part was geared more towards the die hard mid nineties weezer fans.
Definitely. Rivers isn't the only one who's tired of hearing the same old rant from that type of fan.
03:58 AM on 11/09/09
Sarcasm
lostinthesound.com
User Info.
Nice review. Personally, I enjoyed the album.
04:19 AM on 11/09/09
Chop[chop]
http://last.fm/user/tom__21
User Info.
Interesting stance. I still don't know where I stand with this one.
04:54 AM on 11/09/09
Shin Akuma
SOULTHROW
User Info.
excellent review my friend :)

i will disagree with you on "The Girl Got Hot" .. just listen this song in ur car with the volume at max and then we can talk again .. :P
05:26 AM on 11/09/09
aerofan11
Waiting For The Man
User Info.
Love the disclaimer. :D
07:04 AM on 11/09/09
Memphis
Eight miles high and falling fast
User Info.
funny review, well done... i'm still not quite sure, wheter i like the album or not... :)
Options
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests