AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Fall of Troy, The - In the Unlikely Event Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 7.75
Lyrics 7.5
Production 7.5
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 6
Final Verdict: 73%
Member Ratings
Vocals 2.94
Musicianship 5.19
Lyrics 2.38
Production 3.06
Creativity 3.06
Lasting Value 1.94
Reviewer Tilt 2.25
Average: 30%
Inside AP.net

Fall of Troy, The - In the Unlikely Event

Reviewed by: adamvinny (11/02/09)
The Fall of Troy - In the Unlikely Event
Record Label: Equal Vision
Release Date: October 6, 2009

The Fall of Troy is a lot like an onion. To use the “Shrek” metaphor, onions have layers. Ogres have layers. The Fall of Troy has layers. On the surface, you have some progressive rock. If you peel off the skin, you get some post-hardcore. As you continue to peel, you get some experimental metal, some mathcore, and maybe even some thrash metal. With every album that the Mukilteo, WA-based Troy boys release, more layers get peeled. Onions will make you cry, but they also stink. And the Fall of Troy’s fourth studio album does a little bit of both.

When The Fall of Troy released Doppelganger in 2005, it brought with it a cult following who already loved the band’s gateway drug-like approach to music; every song threw in a different genre that could appeal to anyone. From there, one could venture out and find bands that sampled with the same musical tastes. This led to great independent success (and a single on some game called "Guitar Hero"). That was good in 2005, but in 2009, it’s time to find a direction.

The band is technically proficient in numerous areas and that has allowed it to bend genres since its inception. Frontman/guitarist Thomas Erak is one of the most talented, if not the most talented, guitar player in the scene today. His playing is frantic and furious. He even packs a voice with decent range, being able to both sing beautifully and scream with the shrill wail of a siren. Erak brings that trademark punch to Event. Everything else is discombobulated.

“Panic Attack!,” the album’s first single, finds the Fall of Troy doing what it does best: a high-speed, math rock assault with wailing guitars, Erak’s screeching vocals, and a strong presence from the rhythm section, which includes newly acquired Frank Ene. But don’t let that fool you. The rest of the album plays out as if the Fall of Troy took a break from experimenting to borrow from other bands in search of inspiration. “Empty the Clip, the King Has Been Slain, Long Live the Queen!” by title alone sounds like a perfect fit for a Coheed & Cambria album. “Dirty Pillow Talk” takes a cue from At The Drive-In with its swerves in tempo and frequent solos, but the similarities are almost freaky.

In The Unlikely Event makes you wonder if the band will ever find that one genre that it’s great at. Being good at several things is not necessarily a bad thing, but if the Fall of Troy stuck to one idea and perfected it, perhaps it could move in the right direction (as ironic as that sounds). The Fall of Troy seems lost. If you are looking for Doppelganger II, this will not satiate your needs. Your mother probably told you before you went to college, “Experimenting is good, but do it responsibly.” I wish someone would say that to this band.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 25
07:18 AM on 11/17/09
KennyDRomans
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
haha i loled at the end, Band's good, they just need to stick to their Mathcore Stuff which the really shine a, nice review, i enjoyed half the album, the rest meh not so much,
06:33 AM on 11/18/09
KennyDRomans
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
*where they really shine bright in, XD sorry for typo
08:21 AM on 11/19/09
kevinAIWW
boner boner boner boner boner boner
User Info.
Debut self-titled = these guys are new, no one cares.

Doppelganger = wow wtf is this....amazing.

Manipulator = Well, this is new for them, and actually pretty great.

Phanthom OTH = WHOA........ wow..shit...

ITUE = ..uh....what happened..

I'd give this album a B for effort though.
08:26 AM on 11/19/09
kevinAIWW
boner boner boner boner boner boner
User Info.
Oh and nice use of "discombobulated."

I try to use that word once everyday.
09:05 PM on 11/19/09
kbi the crowing
dr( )ning the days away
User Info.
  1. Thom's screams suck more on this record compared to any other he's on, dunno how your vocal score is that high.
  2. The musicianship is more involved and better than most of their previous "guitar-wankery/random rhythm section" approach, so I don't agree with the musicianship rating.
  3. If you listen to Manipulator and this back to back, it sounds like they knew exactly where they were going.
  4. "Empty The Clip..." doesn't really sound like coheed.
But that's just me.
I'd still give it the same score, though.
09:26 PM on 11/19/09
popdisaster00
Two years is a long time to pretend
User Info.
Debut self-titled = these guys are new, no one cares.

Doppelganger = wow wtf is this....amazing.

Manipulator = Well, this is new for them, and actually pretty great.

Phanthom OTH = WHOA........ wow..shit...

ITUE = ..uh....what happened..

I'd give this album a B for effort though.
my thoughts exactly. In fact, doppelgänger and manipulator are 2 of my ALL time favorite cds, but wow was I let down with this one
10:18 PM on 11/19/09
LastDeclaration
mmm tasty
User Info.
good review. i wish you had done more on the songs though.
10:29 PM on 11/19/09
pnkhrdwndr
User Info.
I love the first half... second half not so gripping
10:51 PM on 11/19/09
barkingincision
i am white rune
User Info.
once you said dirty pillow talk sounded like at the drive in i knew you didnt know what you were talking about.
im sorry dude but this record is just bad for many more reasons.
the vocals plain, flat out suck, through the entire record. they're put up in front making the record very vocally oriented and therefore drawing away from the most important part of tfots sound: the guitars. the fact that thomas said this is them "maturing" is pure bullshit. the songwriting is virtually the same, all based on riff after riff, with an intro to most of them segueing into each part. the screams are horrible, the singing sounds so bad you'd think an unsigned garage band's vocalist was taking the mic.
i dont mean to jab at this review, i just wouldve taken the score wayyyy down.
major disappointment for this band.
11:58 PM on 11/19/09
harveyn590
User Info.
I think a week point for this record are the lyrics
04:37 AM on 11/20/09
adamvinny
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
  1. Thom's screams suck more on this record compared to any other he's on, dunno how your vocal score is that high.
  2. The musicianship is more involved and better than most of their previous "guitar-wankery/random rhythm section" approach, so I don't agree with the musicianship rating.
  3. If you listen to Manipulator and this back to back, it sounds like they knew exactly where they were going.
  4. "Empty The Clip..." doesn't really sound like coheed.
But that's just me.
I'd still give it the same score, though.
When I said the song compared to Coheed, I didn't mean musically. I meant the title of the song. And all of your suggestions have been noted.
07:07 AM on 11/20/09
kbi the crowing
dr( )ning the days away
User Info.
When I said the song compared to Coheed, I didn't mean musically. I meant the title of the song. And all of your suggestions have been noted.
oh, ok I gotcha.
07:07 AM on 11/20/09
kbi the crowing
dr( )ning the days away
User Info.
I think a week point for this record are the lyrics
probably the weakest point
they aren't terrible, but they're all about the same thing (for the most part)
07:27 AM on 11/20/09
iAMhollyood315
Rest is for the dead
User Info.
this album really didn't get any press or hype....kinda slipped through the cracks
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums