AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

I Never Heard The Bullet - 01.08.09

Interviewed by
I Never Heard The Bullet - 01.08.09The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

I NEVER HEARD THE BULLET
- Motaz Hussein- Lead Vocals/Piano [MYSPACE]

1. How did you get your band name?
Although it may sound suicidal and emo, it isn't...it's actually the exact opposite. Our drummer, Kaycee, was having a good night with some beer and watching an episode of M*A*S*H* and the episode was called, "Sometimes You Hear The Bullet". At one point the line was said, " I Never Heard The Bullet". Game. Set. Match. Kaycee Kay.

2. How did this band get started?
A powerhouse of 2 local Portland bands ending a chapter and starting a new one. Kaycee and Dustyn were in a band that played a show with Jesse's band at the time. After the 2 bands broke up, those 3 started one. Found the bass player at the mall, and the guys found me through a mutual friend who directed them to my AIM and solo music which is more R&B. The guys thought it'd be a neat idea to have a soulful r&b style singer in a rock band. They settled for the minority and that was that.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
Our band has the most messed up variety of influences since we all like different things, but at the same time find a common ground. As far as bands of the same genre we are huge fans of The Receiving End Of Sirens, Saosin, Circa Survive and old school Bedlight For Blue Eyes. I'm a Paramore fan...say something, I dare you.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?

Damn. As far as a band, I'm sure we'd all love to tour with any of the influences I named, especially Saosin cuz they are really good looking guys and could probably hook us up with a lot groupies. For me, if society would allow the mixtures of genres on tour, I'd say Journey at their prime and Lauryn Hill.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
I don't know what "a furry" is, but if it means being furry, which I am cuz i am Arab...then I'd be a Motaz. Since very few people ever hear that name, they'd probably think it was an animal.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
I could go for a generic answer and say because we have a unique sound, we combine rock with soul...etc. but all sarcasm aside, all that stuff is true. Now, if you want to be completely sold, we are the most entertaining people you will ever meet. Our band members are very diverse, with guys coming from the farmlands of Wyoming to the deserts of Egypt.. we love doing karaoke, and we promise we sound good live, which is hard to find these days.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?

I would have to say either the song "Words and Symphonies", because it seems like it would be a really fun song to play with friends cuz of the musical work and vocals, and also "65th & Holgate" because my dude J-Swain shreds the lead throughout the entire song. I'm guessing it'd be pretty hard on 5 star. They might have to add another star and make that song a 6 star

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Friends who stuck with us from day 1, fans, family, and whoever decides it would be a good idea to sign a band that plays pretty legit music.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Banning auto-tune on/antaris. People are sounding like damn robots now - it's insane. Then when they bring it to the stage it's a mess, but somehow the fans love it..(ie: Kanye on SNL. )

10. Memorable tour experience?
Coos Bay, Oregon. Hit them up, they'll tell you.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

I've been a fan of AP.net since forever (back in Yellowcard's Ocean Avenue days and The Starting Line's Say it Like you mean it days). AP.net is my first source for music news whether it's rock or not, and the people working at it do a good job keeping the shit talkers in line and firing back with sarcastic remarks (ie: Jason Tate and user Anamericangod, you 2 fellas put me on the lollercoaster every time I read your stuff, I love it). I've been trying to get our band promoted by Tate since he's from Oregon like we are but he doesn't respond :( he's a busy guy though and prolly a huge pimp.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

We have a new song that we haven't released yet that I could play over and over, you'll see. "Distance Makes The Heart Grow" is a chill one too because its a ballad and I get to chill on the piano and feel the vibe of the crowd singing the words because its one of our more popular songs.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt or San Diego beach. Egypt is a beautiful place. I go every year with my family and the place is so underrated because all you hear about is the pyramids, which are amazing, but there is so much more. We also have our CD being sold there apparently...my cousin had to inform me about that, but however it got there, or whoever is making money off it please call me.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Phil Collins, The Monkees, Michael Jackson and That Thing You Do! I used to have to hide my MJ tapes because my parents didn't approve of this music and the person he is.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
I would have the power to get us signed by a respectful record label that could support our music. I'm happy with everything else, but that super power would do justice.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
Nope. We haven't even killed any hookers yet.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

That we are a good band on CD and live, we love karaoke, and I can speak Arabic fluently (and I am not related to Saddam Hussein).

18. What's your favorite holiday?

Thanksgiving, easily. food food food.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Read AP.net. :-P

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Myself and some of the other guys can do really good impressions. Go to our blog on our myspace and hear the radio interview, you'll see.

THANK YOU AP.NET AND ANTON. SHOW US SOME LOVE. PEACE!

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests