AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Eastern Sea, The - EP II Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.75
Production 8
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 85%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.75
Musicianship 9.5
Lyrics 9.25
Production 8
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 91%

Eastern Sea, The - EP II

Reviewed by: Gregory Robson (11/06/09)
The Eastern Sea - EP II
Record Label: Self-Released
Release Date: Oct. 20, 2009

Who?
The Eastern Sea is a Texas indie-folk quartet led by vocalist Matthew Hines and inspired by the likes of Iron and Wine and Death Cab for Cutie. The band was named one of "Nine Locals to Watch in 2009," by the band's hometown paper, The Austin Chronicle. EP II is the band's second offering, coming on the heels of their four-song self-titled debut EP.

How is it?
Quite inspiring. The band's ruminative lyricism and sparse instrumentation take center stage on the four-song EP, aptly titled EP II. There's not much in the way of singalong choruses and carefree Beach Boy whimsy, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Album opener "The Mountain," is light and percussive with an airy texture that's quasi-European. Vocalist Matthew Hines sings "We packed up our things and headed east. We booked a room at the cheapest inn, in case we never come back." The entire exercise feels reminiscent of Rubber Soul or The Boxer. That is to say, this is stripped down, organic folk that seems more interested in the vibe and feel than that of a chart-topping melody. That very mindset is actually the band's strongest asset.

Though the songs themselves aren't complicated, the music itself is brainy. Hines' carefree and relaxing vocals lend themselves well to musical vignettes that unravel like memoirs, most noticeably on second track "The Sea," and closer "Your House." The album's lone rocker is "The Name," a jittery number which is fizzy, urgent and quirky. The band's lone downfall is that sonically the song is a bit of a mess and Hines' vocals come off as rough and unrefined. That misstep aside, nothing else on the 17-minute EP is worthy of criticism. This is heady stuff from a band mature beyond their years. With a release this strong they are most definitely on their way to crafting something very engaging and special. Take notice now. Six months from now this band will be RcrdLbl's new favorite, and it'll sure be nice to say you found them here first.

Track Listing 1. The Mountain
2. The Sea
3. The Name
4. Your House

Eastern Sea is Matthew Hines (lead vocals, guitar)
Jess Hines (backing vocals, piano)
Zach Duran (drums)
Tomas Olando (bass)

Recommended If You Like Andrew Bird, Iron and Wine, Broken Social Scene, Times New Viking

Find Them Here Myspace
Website

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10.
08:38 PM on 11/08/09
ninetyFhOURs
I love WCW. Not fuckin' wrestling.
User Info.
I'm liking.

A lot.
12:25 PM on 11/09/09
dsouzrr
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I am a local Texan, and this band is legit. Every member knows how to write a song and adds a lot. You can always tell when a band succesfully pulls that off. If you put the 5 songs from their first EP with this EP you have a very impressive album. They are great Winter/cold music if you know what I mean so this review not only is well done, but has great timing.
12:34 PM on 11/09/09
ASaveSituation
Bored stiff
User Info.
I am a local Texan, and this band is legit. Every member knows how to write a song and adds a lot. You can always tell when a band succesfully pulls that off. If you put the 5 songs from their first EP with this EP you have a very impressive album. They are great Winter/cold music if you know what I mean so this review not only is well done, but has great timing.
Same here, my friend went to high school with Jess and introduced me to their band with the first EP last year. Ever since, I've been hooked. They really are perfect music for this time of the year. Great review.
03:34 PM on 11/09/09
the color theft
User Info.
Whoa, so weird seeing them on here.
03:40 PM on 11/09/09
mrperson13
I'm a sucker for fakes
User Info.
Wow, just checked them out after reading this and they are very very good. Definitely getting a death cab vibe from them which is a great thing.
05:31 PM on 11/09/09
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Going to have to check them out. I have a feeling I will really like this.
05:34 PM on 11/09/09
Holly HoX!
User Info.
I really like what I'm hearing.
06:22 PM on 11/09/09
N8IVIin0rity
User Info.
Matt Hines loves LOST but not as much as me. Great seeing them on here!
07:23 PM on 05/13/10
8SlicesOfPie
http://dwhb.bandcamp.com
User Info.
Absolutely fantastic band and EP. Can't wait for their full-length.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests