AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.

+\- (plus\minus) - 11.03.09

Interviewed by: Linda Ferreira (11/10/09)
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

+\- (plus\minus)
From the Ukraine
www.myspace.com/thepmmusic

Stas - vocals
Ilya - guitar
Maks - bass guitar
Slavik - drums

1. How did you get your band name?

A close friend thought of the name. Over time he proposed five or six variants which we all bandied about. We decided to call our band +\- with just symbols. We were concerned how people would respond to this title, we didn’t want to be trivial in it. From the very first, we had an idea to create our own cult, the cult of people who was listening to the band, the stylistics of which did not exist in musical streams in the Ukraine. People started to call the band ‘closing, flower’. It was thus until our performance on one of the biggest festivals of heavy music in Ukraine where we were presented on the bill as ‘+\- (plus\minus)’. Since that time we’ve added the words to the name of the band.

2. How did this band get started?
The band began in the spring of 2005. Original line-up consisted of me, Egor, Iliya (present guitarist), Yura (another guitarist who left the band in February 2007 to study in Europe), and Tolik (drummer who he has given himself up to another more popular type of music). After it, several other people were playing with us until we understood that we did not need the second guitarist and cope better with group of 4 men. In the spring 2007 we met Slavik, and now he plays drums with us.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
It was hard to define our primary style. Everything was taken to be ‘a la Converge and The Dillinger Escape Plan’ but as a result we had some kind of "art-core" with "post-hardcore". In sober fact, at the time we didn’t understand clearly what way we wanted to head so we just kept on walking and looking for our path. After Yura and Tolik left our band, we got together the remaining cast and seriously took thought of what we wanted. The result is what can be called "experimental mathcore." For the basis we take mathcore and dilute it with various styles of music – southern, neogrind, screamo, black metal, rock’n’roll. Some called it Meshuggah with rock’n’roll, some kind of math’n’roll.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
Converge, Dillinger Escape Plan, Norma Jean, Psyopus, Daughters, Locust, Mars Volta, Poison The Well, The Number Twelve Looks Like You.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
Ironical tiger-pawl

6. Why should people listen to your band?
Because we don't just imitate other modern metal bands. For example, outwardly we don’t totally correspond to what we play. According to our music we should be shaggy, filthy metalists in leather jackets and with long beards. Instead, we look like Interpol. We want to look like ordinary life and be maximally sincere. And the main thing is music. To my mind it’s something new. We want to create new, smart music which engages a listener no matter what he usually listens. Experimenting a lot with the styles, step by step we develop our own sound and our personal musical way. I hope the listener can overwhelmingly feel it in our debut album.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
“Empire” and “Brighter than you I light up the stars” – they are the fastest and most daft songs we have created.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Family and those people who support us - thanks to their faith we do what we do.
Fans who are traveling with us to the cities - this helps to support us morally.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I’d like to see many changes in the Ukrainian music industry. This industry is totally absent in the Ukraine. There is no sound-recording labels, no comparable booking agencies, clubs, promoters, managers. I hope soon this situation will change.

10. Memorable tour experience?
Almost in every concert we have funny stories. For the last concert our vocalist missed the train and got to the concert place on the bus with two transfers. Also, there was a time, when we should pass the night on the beach or on the railroad station. Tragically-comic situations, you see.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
I've got an idea that AP.net is one of the most progressive internet portals about music, thanks to which young teams can steadily make a statement. Unfortunately, similar resources are not plentiful online – someone is short of professional skills and experience, and someone don’t have new ideas. Luckily AP.net has it.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
With every new song our level as musicians grows so every song is our favorite song.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
We like to take a rest out in the country and relax with shashlik, beer and some kind of jazz or hard rock music like Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. Unfortunately we rarely have such holidays because each of us has jobs, after which we have rehearsals. So, such trips are quite seldom but very memorable.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
A lot of music. In time of my childhood I didn’t restrict myself with certain musical pales, listening from hip-hop till grind. I began at 14, thanks to the album Red Hot Chili Peppers – Californication. It was cheerily.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
I’d like to stop and became invisible.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
I think the feeling of continuously searching and understanding the words ‘we made it’ will come, when we shall all together understand, that everything we want the audience to understand will be incarnated into life. Then with the feeling of freedom we can break up. But for the time being we don't have it planned.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Nothing unlawful

18. What's your favorite holiday?
We like New Year's Eve. We have had the tradition of giving a private concert on the eve of the New Year. We invite our closest friends. Two years ago we made the cover on the Wham! – Last Christmas. If desired, you can still find it on Youtube. It was damned amusing.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Music occupies all free time. I am also the manager of the band so I am also engaging in logistical issues and can say with certainty that the band takes 80% of my life. Other time is taken up by my official job, eating and sleeping.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I can reach my nose with my tongue.

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6.
09:22 AM on 11/12/09
Naenia
Ay payita mia, guardate la poesia
User Info.
I downloaded their free EP from the Free Music friday post and I like. Well worth checking out.
09:38 AM on 11/12/09
bf_nk
bicycle vs motorvehicle
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
There is already a +/- Plus/Minus. Is that okay just because they switched the slash?
09:50 AM on 11/12/09
:-)
User Info.
There is already a +/- Plus/Minus. Is that okay just because they switched the slash?
Wait... this is a different band?
10:29 AM on 11/12/09
Unretrofied
User Info.
03:33 PM on 11/12/09
notoaststereo
they knew exactly what happened.
User Info.
this is a different band than i thought. love the other plusminus though.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests