Username
Password

12:29 AM on 11/16/09 
User Info.
concernedparent
I'm very concerned.
San Jose, CA
Male
This is sorta urgent! Since I have my quiz tomorrow and I can't for the life of me figure out this topic. My teacher didn't even cover it in class, just said it would be on the quiz.
02:32 AM on 11/16/09 
User Info.
tonyC4L
tech-savvy at-risk youth
Lake Forest, CA
Male - 26 Years Old
Could someone explain how to find the second order taylor polynomial for a multivariable function? For example:

f(x, y) = 2/(x^2 + y^2 + 2), at a = (0,0)
Hmm I don't really remember this but this is what I've found with a little research:

For any function f(x,y), the Taylor series to second order about the point (a,b) is given by

Using that you should be able to plug in with your specific f about (0,0).

this was just from wikipedia btw: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_... ral_variables
sorry I can't be much more help than that.
08:35 AM on 11/16/09 
User Info.
concernedparent
I'm very concerned.
San Jose, CA
Male
Actually that does help clarify something definitely. For some reasons I didn't see that on Wikipedia..haha. thanks.
09:13 AM on 11/16/09 
User Info.
Rowoverdramatic
No Avatar Selected
England
Female - 20 Years Old
I have some stuff I need help with before my mock exam tomorrow, but it'll be pathetically easy to you guys. =/
11:25 AM on 11/16/09 
User Info.
John JD Dorian
walks amongst us, not one of us
St Louis, MO
Male - 25 Years Old
I have some stuff I need help with before my mock exam tomorrow, but it'll be pathetically easy to you guys. =/

we enjoy it anyway.
11:32 AM on 11/16/09 
User Info.
John JD Dorian
St Louis, MO
Male - 25 Years Old
Very nice, thank you. We actually have not learned the definition of continuity yet in my class, so I didn't make that connection when taking the test, but after reading the definition and then your proof it all makes sense.

the whole thing is pretty straightforward, with one interesting kink. in the case where x is irrational, at first i just tried to pick a rational y out of the interval (x-d, x+d), but then i realized that i didn't necessarily have my result, so i actually had to restrict myself to (x, x+d). then when i was writing it up i realized that x might be negative in which case to get |y| > |x| i would actually have to choose a y out of (x-d, x), so there are really two cases.

of course, it's probably easier to just to do it all in one case and say pick a y out of (x-d, x+d) such that |y| > |x|, but i find it nicer to flush things out a bit.

anyway, that's what i found a tad interesting.
06:00 PM on 11/16/09 
User Info.
geebee889
Registered Goober
Woodstock, GA
Female - 25 Years Old
I will most likely post in here later tonight...I still have my math to do.
07:30 PM on 11/16/09 
User Info.
John JD Dorian
St Louis, MO
Male - 25 Years Old
I will most likely post in here later tonight...I still have my math to do.

bring it.
07:50 PM on 11/16/09 
User Info.
geebee889
Registered Goober
Woodstock, GA
Female - 25 Years Old

Okay, we're doing logarithms and natural logs. I understand how to convert equations and solve for them, but finding the differentiating is where I get confused.

Y = x^6 lnx - (1/4)x^4

or

Y = ln (7x^2 +5x +2)
08:17 PM on 11/16/09 
User Info.
John JD Dorian
St Louis, MO
Male - 25 Years Old
Okay, we're doing logarithms and natural logs. I understand how to convert equations and solve for them, but finding the differentiating is where I get confused.

Y = x^6 lnx - (1/4)x^4

or

Y = ln (7x^2 +5x +2)

do you mean finding the derivative?
09:06 PM on 11/16/09 
User Info.
John JD Dorian
St Louis, MO
Male - 25 Years Old
When taking derivatives of lns/logs just say this in your mind. "The log of crap is: 1 over crap, times the derivative of crap."

that's true for log base e (ln). if it's log base something else, there's an extra term in there.
10:48 PM on 11/16/09 
User Info.
concernedparent
I'm very concerned.
San Jose, CA
Male
I only wrote "logs" so it would read better. I always assume people are working in base e unless otherwise stated.
Math fight!
10:57 PM on 11/16/09 
User Info.
tonyC4L
tech-savvy at-risk youth
Lake Forest, CA
Male - 26 Years Old
I pretty much always write log for base e. What really tripped me up was the use of Log vs log in my complex analysis book. I don't know if that's an author thing or if math people actually use a capital L for the principal branch but it took me a while to get the hang of it. Mostly because my teacher didn't tell us about the difference and used them interchangeably (and still does... students are always correcting him in lecture).
03:39 AM on 11/17/09 
User Info.
geebee889
Registered Goober
Woodstock, GA
Female - 25 Years Old
do you mean finding the derivative?

When taking derivatives of lns/logs just say this in your mind. "The log of crap is: 1 over crap, times the derivative of crap."

that's true for log base e (ln). if it's log base something else, there's an extra term in there.

Yeah, I meant the derivative. Is it always like that for ln?
06:10 AM on 11/17/09 
User Info.
John JD Dorian
St Louis, MO
Male - 25 Years Old
I only wrote "logs" so it would read better. I always assume people are working in base e unless otherwise stated.

often in very elementary texts log is used as base 10 and ln as base e, so i wanted to make sure the one with the question wasn't confused.

but yes, among mathematical sophisticates, log is always assumed to be base e, because of course the very definition of log(x) is the integral from 1 to x of dt/t.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos