1. How did you get your band name? Trevor (guitar/vocals) and I were trying to come up with names and couldn't agree on anything. One of the names we came up with had "Modern" in it and another had "Elite," so I put them together and it clicked. We liked how it sort of implied that we'd have to dress fancy. Our original name was A Closer Paradise... and I think we're all glad that we didn't keep that :)
2. How did this band get started? I've been writing my own songs on piano since I was 14, but I wanted to try my hand at fronting a rock band. Trevor and I were both just starting at Northeastern and we talked online a lot but never really hung out. I told him about wanting to start a band and he offered to fill in on guitar for a little while. We had our first practice with one of my friends on drums and Trevor brought in Tommy Turbo to play bass. Musically, we clicked right away...but Tommy hated me at first! I think he's over it now. We covered Eve 6, Paramore and Sugarcult before we started working on originals and we recorded our first album a few months later. Then we got our new drummer, Clark...and our lead guitarist Justin just joined in September.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
One of the best things about TME is that we're all influenced by completely different people. I'm influenced by Andrew McMahon, Emery, My Chemical Romance, Automatic Loveletter and Schoolyard Heroes....Trevor is influenced by the Foo Fighters, Muse, Led Zeppelin and The Beatles. We're the two songwriters in the band, so that contrast is a huge part of our sound. The instrumentation comes from his influences and the lyrics come from mine.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
Personally, I'd want to tour with Something Corporate, My Chemical Romance and Emery... I know it's random, but I really look up to all three of those bands and they all put on incredible live shows. I think if the band had to compile a list though, it would probably be something like Billy Talent, Mickey Avalon and Taking Back Sunday.
5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
A chinchilla, because they're adorable! And incredibly soft :)
6. Why should people listen to your band?
It's incredibly cliche, but we can honestly say we have our own sound. That's one awesome thing that every review of our music has come back with. We don't sound like Paramore. A lot of people these days love to "comparamore," as Hayley Williams put it...meaning, they just assume that every band with a female vocalist will sound like them. Granted, a lot of them do, but we really strive to make our music different, yet still poppy. We don't really fit into one specific genre so I think a lot of people will enjoy us. Plus, we're very DIY. We recorded and produced our entire full length album, Blind, ourselves, so it took a lot of time and effort. We're really proud of how it came out, though!
7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
Hmmm....I think people would have the most fun with "Come Around" or "Hold On." I don't play guitar or Guitar Hero (I'm really bad at it!) but I don't think either one of them would be very hard, haha.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Our parents, families, friends and fans, everyone who has helped us out with a show, Jack Rebney aka "Winnebago Man" and Mickey Avalon.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Make it easier for unsigned bands to get their name out there. So many of the bands that are "making it big" just sound the same and it's frustrating. Some of the bands we're friends with are so much more talented than the ones you hear on the radio! That's why stuff like this interview opportunity is so great. Hopefully some people will check us out after reading this, unless I scared them all away already...
10. Memorable tour experience?
We've actually never been on tour! We're all in school (four of us at Northeastern and one at MIT) so it's been really hard to find a convenient time for all of us. Hopefully we'll get something booked for this summer!
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
I check AP.net everyday for news and updates. Sometimes I post in the forums, but I've gotten made fun of and/or yelled at so many times that I sort of stay away from it now >.<
12. What is your favorite song to play?
It changes all the time. Right now, I really love our cover of Alanis Morissette's "You Oughta Know"... and our song "Come Around" is always really fun.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
I love Mexico and the Caribbean....anywhere warm, really. California rules too. I want to move there when I'm done with school.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Fact: I listened to only mainstream pop music until I reached high school. The music of my childhood is Britney Spears, 'N Sync, Jewel, Hanson, O-Town, Destiny's Child and The Spice Girls.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Being able to teleport anywhere at anytime, so I could see my friends who are far away or go on little mini vacations whenever I wanted to! One of my best friends is in Rome right now and I'm so jealous. It would be cool to just push a button and be there.
16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
Hahahaha, no way. Hopefully I'll feel that way someday, though :)
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I'm the total opposite of a typical rock musician. A lot of people assume that a girl fronting a rock band has to be a badass...but I'm straight edge, on the honor roll and still watch cartoons on a regular basis. Oh well.
18. What's your favorite holiday?
Christmas, hands down.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I'm always writing. I front another band called The Wrecking Coast, so I always need new lyrics. On the weekends, you can find me at practice, going out to shows, getting food with friends or going for a walk around the city.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Hidden talents...hmm. I don't think I have any! Singing was kind of a hidden talent until I got to college. I can draw Spongebob really well, though.