AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Protest the Hero - Kezia Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 9.25
Lyrics 7.75
Production 9
Creativity 9.25
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Final Verdict: 88%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.05
Musicianship 9.8
Lyrics 8.9
Production 9.05
Creativity 9.4
Lasting Value 9.35
Reviewer Tilt 9.45
Average: 93%
Inside AP.net

Protest the Hero - Kezia

Reviewed by: newfoundmichael (06/08/06)
Over a half a decade ago, a group of 14 year olds decided that they all had the same vision and taste in music. They all wanted to write, record, and perform music in front of audiences all over the place. They named themselves Protest The Hero, and they consist of Rody Walker (lead vocals), Tim Millar (guitar, vocals), Luke Hoskin (lead guitars, vocals, piano), Moe Carlson (drums), and Arif Mirabdolbaghi (bass guitar, vocals). They bring a very unique sound to the table that sounds like a combination of The Mars Volta and the riffs of Between The Buried And Me. The next six years consisted of writing and performing music in their hometown Whitby, Ontario. They released Kezia, their American debut through Vagrant Records last April.

Okay, now that I got that out of the way, PTH’s new album Kezia, (keh-zai-yah) is my pick for the best album of the year through the first half of 2006. The album is jumpstarted with the song “No Stars Over Bethlehem.” The song is started with a 30 second face melting guitar riff and then runs into Rody’s unique, yet amazing voice. The song is a great start to the album setting the pace for the rest of the way. The second song “Heretics & Killers”, is a lot more of the same thing without suffering from “different song same sound” syndrome. The third track “Divinity Within” is arguably the best track on the album. The beginning of the song sounds like it is going to be more hardcore riffs, and Rody’s ever-changing voice, however, the song ends with a piano solo that is the perfect end to the first three tracks of the song. The rest of the album roller coasters from a lot of hardcore riffs and the crazy yet also composed voice of Rody Walker, to the slowed down female vocals in some songs such as, “Turn Soonest To The Sea”, and “The Divine Suicide Of K.” Even after hearing just the first 15 seconds of each song, you can really appreciate the diversity and amazing skills of this band. PTH is just what America needed at this point in time. With so many kids listening to bands such as Fall Out Boy, Green Day, and Hawthorne Heights (not to rip on any of those bands), Kezia is a perfect transition into a more mainstream culture. Listen and be prepared to be amazed.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 26
10:58 PM on 06/10/06
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
im liking this. pretty decent review too. nice to see something featured out of the mainstream.
06:21 AM on 06/11/06
petter182
User Info.
A decent review, and I totally agree with you. This album is the best of 2006 so far - and I doubt anyone will top it. I was wondering when we were gonna hear about this band here on AP. Finally!
12:05 PM on 06/11/06
GoWaitInTheCar
The World Won't Listen.
User Info.
Originally Posted by petter182
A decent review, and I totally agree with you. This album is the best of 2006 so far - and I doubt anyone will top it. I was wondering when we were gonna hear about this band here on AP. Finally!

Considering what they sound like, I was thinking the same thing.

I'm not sure if I like them, I'm leaning towards no, but there are plenty of other bands doing this same style that I dislike more.
02:09 PM on 06/11/06
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
No score? This album has sick guitar work but overall it's very mediocre. There are far better metal bands and the vocals are somewhat obnoxious.
04:06 PM on 06/11/06
atomicgarden134
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Amazing band. I agree Kezia with best cd of the year so far.
05:26 PM on 06/11/06
moises_naruto
moises_naruto
User Info.
yeah, too bad kezia came out 2005!! not 2006
08:12 PM on 06/11/06
Dbringsthemosh
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Protest the Hero is the SHIT. Very good band, I must say. No doubt about that.
10:22 AM on 06/12/06
TheCaptain
Huzzah!
User Info.
Originally Posted by moises_naruto

Well, it was released in 2005 for Canada and 2006 for the US.

But I agree with this review. I picked up this album a few weeks ago and I haven't stop playing it yet. Its so damn good. PTH are a talented group of lads.
08:40 AM on 06/13/06
newfoundmichael
@SirDaveyBoy
User Info.
Originally Posted by moises_naruto

It was released by Vagrant on April 4th, 2006. It was released on independantly before that.
08:50 AM on 06/13/06
newfoundmichael
@SirDaveyBoy
User Info.
also, my bad on not putting up a score.

Vocals - 9

Instruments - 10

Replayability - 9

Staying Power - 9

Lyrics - 9.5

Production - 8.5

Artwork - 8
11:05 AM on 06/13/06
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
yikes.
02:52 PM on 06/13/06
Koopato
User Info.
Yeah, its a great album. One of the better albums i bought late-ish last year (im canadian).
04:11 PM on 06/14/06
TheCaptain
Huzzah!
User Info.
Originally Posted by Scott Weber
yikes.

what do you mean?
04:55 PM on 06/14/06
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
Originally Posted by TheCaptain