AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Writer - Blood Drops Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6.5
Musicianship 7.75
Lyrics 6.75
Production 5.75
Creativity 6.5
Lasting Value 4.5
Reviewer Tilt 7
Final Verdict: 64%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Writer - Blood Drops

Reviewed by: Mirrorsandfevers (11/16/09)
Writer - Blood Drops
Record Label: WriterDie
Release Date: 2008

Writer is definitely a band that one should listen to, but also a band that one shouldn't try to figure out. Their album, Blood Drops, includes acoustic songs, banging drums and grungy guitars and is a bit hard to categorize. The band can't be accused of being formulaic as each song is very different, but amazingly, each song also sounds the same. It's very confusing.

The album begins with a slow tempo acoustic ballad titled "Matthew". Vocally driven as the acoustic chords are slowly strummed, it comes off as almost a middle-of-the-album-track. However, for some reason it works here. As the song progresses, it starts sounding like Letting Off the Happiness-era Bright Eyes as they chant "Your heart is so cold now. You best stay in." Perhaps it is because it sounds like it was recorded in someone's basement.

This album progresses with interesting drumbeats and pop-like melodies that have a Conor Oberst feel to them. The majority of the songs have emotionally driven execution with strong delivery and great vocal performance.

My personal favorite track is called "Try and Stop Me". It's a bit darker than the other songs and the hook is constantly stuck in my head. As singer Andy Ralph witheringly sings "Donít feel bad/Even though you should," it creates an odd sensation that he is talking to the listener rather than the subject of the song. The banging drums on this song remind me of hearing someone banging on my front door late at night.

The last half of the album is where it picks up, but it finishes too quickly for it to obtain a long lasting grip. In fact, that's the only real problem with this album - it's unfortunately forgettable. The songwriting is there, some hooks are here and there, but the forgettable factor is there as well.

I hope to hear more of these guys soon, and maybe they can find their sound within the dreary acoustic songs they write. I do enjoy the album when I listen to it. I just forget to listen to it.

Recommended If You LikeSlow pace; The Good Life; Bright Eyes - Letting Off the Happiness

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News