AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

The Subways - 6.10.06

Interviewed by
The Subways - 6.10.06Before we get started could you please give us your name and position in the band?

- Charlotte Cooper - Bass and vocals.

It seems that your popularity has been really taking off in the past few months, what has your reaction been thus far?

- We couldn't believe how many people came to the gigs on our first American tour, and also the lovely reactions we received. It's amazing for us that we can come to the States and find that there are people who know our songs.

Alternative Press recently named you guys as one of the 100 bands to watch in 2006, what was your take on that?

- I think that's very cool to be part of that list.

What are a few of your favorite songs to play live?

- It changes each day, but I want to hear what you have got to say always gets a good reaction, even though it has yet to be released as a single anywhere.

The CD I was sent was a promo/advance, who was your producer and what were some of the other bands he worked with?

- Ian Broudie produced the whole of this first album. He's had an amazing career as both and artist and a producer. He produced his own band, The Lightning Seeds, Echo And The Bunnymen, The Wedding Present and more recently The Coral and The Zutons. We had a great working relationship with him, and he was a great mentor to us throughout the recording process. We've definitely learnt a lot from him.

Where do you guys see yourself in a year?

- I'd like to think that we'll have completed work on the second album and be starting to tour it.

How long have you guys been a band and how did you all meet?

- We've been playing together for about 5 years now. Billy and Josh were brothers, and we would always be hanging around together. It was a case of three bored suburban kids, with a love for music wanting to do something worthwhile with their bored time.

What is the difference between playing the states and Europe?

- Every country is different to play, and it's really interesting for us to see how different cultures react to music. We found that in the states, there's a subtle difference between each town.

How did you guys land your deal with the label?

- We'd been playing a few shows a week in London for about 3 years, trying to build up a fanbase. A few A&R guys started coming along and we began talking to several different labels, indie and major. We spent 7 months working on the contract to make sure that we could make a long career as a band and not have all the pressure put on the first album.

What is your next step after you finish up this tour?

- We'll be back in the states a few more times this year, playing in as many different places as we can. We're working on a lot of new songs for the second album at the moment, and hope to start recording before the end of the year.

What are some of your influences?

- We take influence from many different areas of music. There's no kind of music that we're not open to listening to. We have everything from Madonna to Slipknot, Simon and Garkunkle to Death Cab For Cutie in our CD collections.

Name a few of your favorite artists.

- Here goes Nirvana, Muse, Kylie Minogue, Death Cab For Cutie, Royksopp, Depeche Mode, Sonic Youth, The Flaming Lips, Garbage, Interpol, Fiona Apple. Oasis, Blur. This is just a few off the top of my head. If you ask me next week it will probably have changed!

When you guys aren't touring do you all stay in the states?

- We are always touring! But when we do get a few days off we stay with friends and family around the London area.

What is your favorite city to play?

- That's a really hard question to answer! I really enjoyed playing in Seattle on the last tour. It's a great city, and has such a musical history that still seems to be present today.

If you could tour with any band who would they be and why?

I'd love to tour with the Foo Fighters or Muse, who I think are two of the best live bands at the moment.

If you could change anything about the music industry what would it be and why?

- I don't think I would change anything. It is what it is. Anything negative we have to deal with only makes us appreciate the amazing things about it more.

If you weren't in a band what would you be doing?

- I was planning to go to university to study philosophy.

I am from Chicago.. Have you ever ridden our Subway before?

- I haven't! Maybe next time

How has the crowd reaction been thus far on the tour?

- We're really grateful for the reactions we've been getting, even though this is the first time most people have seen us.

Do you still purchase CD's?

- Yes! We found some great shops with awesome used CD selections on the last tour.

I know you guys just released your album not that long ago, but any clue as to when the next one will be out?

- Hopefully early next year. We have a lot of songs ready at the moment, we just need the studio time.

Ne Yo or Hawthorne Heights?

- Hawthorne Heights, because I've not heard of Ne Yo.

What is your favorite restuarnt?

- I love thai food.

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
10:19 PM on 06/10/06
GoWaitInTheCar
The World Won't Listen.
User Info.
This is an awesome interview.

Really good band as well, it's a shame a lot of people don't listen to them.

Check out their city Young For Eternity in stores now.

(Thanks Pat)
10:19 PM on 06/10/06
GoWaitInTheCar
The World Won't Listen.
User Info.
Ne Yo or Hawthorne Heights?

LOL.
03:18 AM on 06/11/06
[Brendan]
Jesus is my ride home.
User Info.
Good interview Pat.
06:00 PM on 06/12/06
andy_187
User Info.
i saw the subways last year at the leeds festival in the uk. great live band. seeing them again at reading festival this year.
11:48 AM on 07/04/06
Ralph Wiggum
I bent my wookie
User Info.
their live show was much better than i thought it would be, they are definetly worth a listen
07:06 AM on 07/12/06
my_blue_eyes_
User Info.
you guys are amazing
06:59 AM on 07/13/06
my_blue_eyes_
User Info.
who wouldnt listen to them

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives