AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: A Rocket To The Moon - 11.04.09

A Rocket To The Moon - 11.04.09

Interviewed by
A Rocket To The Moon - 11.04.09First things first, what is your name and what do you do in A Rocket To The Moon?
My name is Eric and I play bass for A Rocket To The Moon.

How long did it take the guys to write for the new album and what inspired some of the songs?
It took us about two months to write all of the songs for the new record. Justin and Nick got together for a few weeks and wrote the base ideas for most of the songs and then they came to Arizona and we worked everything out as a full band. We had about 17 songs prior to the studio but a few of those were obviously cut.

How has the new songs changed from the songs on the last EP?
A couple of different chords, the words are different, haha no, just joking. The new album is fairly diverse, some songs emulate the EP style and some songs are completely different, it's a mix up. Justin and Nick are huge country fans so that even bled into a few tunes.

What's your favorite song of the new record and why?
I really love playing “Give A Damn” live, that is probably my favorite right now. O also like “Sometimes” a lot because Brandon from Eye Alaska was kind enough to lend us his voice for part of the song.

Why did you guys re-record Dakota?
We felt that it would fit well on the new record.

And will you guys shoot a video for it in the future?
Hmm I don't know, I won't rule it out but I doubt that we will shoot a video for it. Who knows though!

What can fans expect from the upcoming tour with Boys Like Girls?
Lots and lots of Pyro, back up dancers from Cirque du Soleil, the works. I think Andrew will be doing a three minute drum solo too. On the real though, we are playing some new songs so they can expect that and a fun show. So far all of the shows have been amazing. If you're not able to make it out, we are gonna be posting a ton of videos and photos from the whole tour.

Will you guys be going on a headlining tour soon?
We just did a small run with The Summer Set for a week and a half but other than that, I can't say I know when we will be headlining next. We will definitely be touring next year though.

How and why did you decide to choose the other members in your band like Justin and Andrew?
Justin helped us write and record “Greetings From” and has really been a part of the band ever since we became a full group. He is one of our best friends and when Brighten was kind of chilling out we asked if he would like to join the band officially. We met Andrew through Matt Squire. Squire produced both of the TREOS records and they are both very good friends. Loren had mentioned, prior to recording, that he wanted to leave the band after the AP tour so we were talking about it in the studio and Squire suggested we talk to Andrew. He came to a few shows on the AP Tour and we all had a great vibe from him so we asked him to join as well. It is weird because we are all from different places but it actually works very well.

Do you have any pre-show rituals?
Not really, we just kind of naturally get excited to play and anytime we attempt to do some sort of chant, we always fail miserably. We just stretch, tune, and go out there.

And what do you guys do during your downtime?
On tour we just hang out, read, watch movies or shows. I'm obsessed with Dexter and Californication so my time is usually spent catching up on those shows at the hotel. When I'm home I just like to hang with family and friends and veg out. I feel like a bum when I'm home cause I just hang out but it's a nice change of pace.

What band would you like to tour with that you haven't already?
I love touring with my friends bands but we have toured with all of our friends for the most part so I guess I would have to say for personal enjoyment: Death Cab for Cutie, Sigur Ros, Emily Haines/Metric. It would make no sense but I would die happy if I could watch them every night.

What happened to Loren? Why isn’t he in the band anymore?
Loren decided before we went into the studio that once we were done recording, he didn't want to tour any longer. He had been on the road for so long with Lydia and us that he was just burnt out from being in a touring band. He is now going to school and he has an amazing watch company that he runs with his brother in law called Mica. You can check that out at http://www.micamove.com they are awesome. We are all still great friends and there is no beef.

For Justin – any info about the Brighten EP release date?
It is done being mixed and they are just waiting on artwork for it. I will say that it is incredible and it is my favorite stuff that Brighten has ever written. Get excited.

What are some of your favorite books and movies?
I really love “Into The Wild”, but I have never read the book. I like “Breakfast of Champions” by Kurt Vonnegut too. I got a bunch of books on this tour from fans so I have a lot to read and I'm sure that will change.

What are some bands you guys are listening to at the moment?
I listen to a ton of different stuff. I love Metric and Emily Haines and the Soft Skeletons. I'm still obsessing over the new Manchester Orchestra album, but other than that I listen to a lot of random stuff. I definitely am in need of some new music.

Anything else you would like to add?
Check out “On Your Side”, it is in stores now everywhere! And come check us out this fall on the OP tour with Boys Like Girls, Cobra Starship, The Maine, and Versa Emerge. Thanks for the love and support!

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17
06:43 PM on 11/19/09
PierceThePrada
User Info.
halvo is so awesome
and i'm definately stoked for some new brighten
07:54 PM on 11/19/09
megad00d
Broski
User Info.
You should of asked him how much that rocket to the moon costed them? I wonder how a bunch of white boys got that much money
10:10 PM on 11/19/09
Fullblast
I'm not sad anymore
User Info.
You should of asked him how much that rocket to the moon costed them? I wonder how a bunch of white boys got that much money
You are an idiot, your avatar speaks for itself........
10:43 PM on 11/19/09
InBetweenAisles
WeReadTheSignsCompletelyB ackwards
User Info.
Interesting interview. Really good musicians in the band.
10:44 PM on 11/19/09
InBetweenAisles
WeReadTheSignsCompletelyB ackwards
User Info.
hahaha!
11:38 PM on 11/19/09
ChrisCTL
User Info.
Didn't get a chance to see them, wish I did. But my buddy picked up the cd and a t-shirt for me! New album is great!
11:49 PM on 11/19/09
Spenny
Hearts without chains.
User Info.
Nice to see the Metric love.
06:08 AM on 11/20/09
PaperRival-Jake
User Info.
Even though I'm sure you're joking, I want you to know that you look like a complete idiot when you say "should of." Do you really think that is correct? It's a contraction. "Should have = Should've."

Lord of all things holy please spare me a life where Kirk Cameron and Ray Comfort write introductions to Charles DarwinsOn the Origin of Species and this flaming idiot.
06:49 AM on 11/20/09
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Obvious troll is obvious haha

Too bad ARTTM's last album sucked, they had potential
06:51 AM on 11/20/09
Johansson
User Info.
Even though I'm sure you're joking, I want you to know that you look like a complete idiot when you say "should of." Do you really think that is correct? It's a contraction. "Should have = Should've."

Lord of all things holy please spare me a life where Kirk Cameron and Ray Comfort write introductions to Charles DarwinsOn the Origin of Species and this flaming idiot.
It is also just "cost" not "costed," just to prove your point! =)

Otherwise, this was a wonderful interview! I love that kid!
07:41 AM on 11/20/09
Fullblast
I'm not sad anymore
User Info.
Obvious troll is obvious haha

Too bad ARTTM's last album sucked, they had potential
No troll here, that kid is just an idiot you fuck.
07:52 AM on 11/20/09
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
No troll here, that kid is just an idiot you fuck.
I wasn't referring to you... I was referring to the 20 year old with the Brokencyde avatar...
07:58 AM on 11/20/09
Fullblast
I'm not sad anymore
User Info.
I wasn't referring to you... I was referring to the 20 year old with the Brokencyde avatar...
Oh damn, ok.
08:30 AM on 11/20/09
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Don't be so fast to call people "fuck"'s ha

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles