AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
A Rocket to the Moon – On Your Side Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 7
Production 8.5
Creativity 6.75
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 76%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.25
Musicianship 3.58
Lyrics 3.67
Production 5.5
Creativity 3.58
Lasting Value 3.58
Reviewer Tilt 3.58
Average: 42%

A Rocket to the Moon – On Your Side

Reviewed by: weekenddwars (11/19/09)
A Rocket to the Moon - On Your Side
Record Label: Fueled by Ramen
Release Date: October 8, 2009

This October, A Rocket to the Moon showed us their full potential, which was pretty exceptional, especially for a band that started off as just vocalist Nick Santino, who eventually accumulated band members Justin Richards (guitar), Eric Halvorsen (bass), and Andrew Cook (drums).

Their first full-length CD, On Your Side, starts off with their single, "Mr. Right," which was an excellent choice for a single. It’s a catchy song about having a girlfriend who he doesn’t think he deserves. It's not anything we haven’t heard before, but certainly something that isn’t a bad thing to hear. Following "Mr. Right" is "Where Did You Go?," a song that, at first listen, is pretty difficult to figure out, not for it’s astounding depth or unclear vocals, but because he repeats lines and sends, well, mixed signals. It’s definitely not my favorite off the album, something that listeners will probably skip to hear track three, "Annabelle." Now, in my experience, songs with girls’ names in their titles tend to be the more popular ones. It’s a cliché song about a badass girl that can be summed up in their chorus “baby, you’re pretty, but I’m pretty sure I’m over you,” – something we’ve all heard before. My judging? It’s a pretty decent song, something we’ve heard on various pop-punk albums before, but again, it’s not a bad song. Here’s where it gets repetitive. Another song about some girl that thinks she’s too badass for the guy, the guy wants her, he doesn’t want her (think ‘The Way We Talk’ from The Maine’s second EP). Lines like “she’s like a dream and a nightmare coming true” are sung throughout this song. In the end, he loves her, lalala, we’ve heard this story before.

"On a Lonely Night," track five from On Your Side, is a story about two kids from a small town, the girl left, the guy misses her. A little love story, it’s very cute, and not to mention, Caitlin Harnett, Australian singer/songwriter, lends her beautiful vocals to this song, making it sound perhaps a lot better than it would’ve, if she had not. For track six, the climax of On Your Side (if you would), A Rocket to the Moon re-released "Dakota," a song that has long been a fan favorite. Again, it’s a cutesy love song that girls will wish their guys would write about them. Very swoon-worthy. However, we get more repetitive as we fast-forward to "Life Of The Party." It’s almost exactly like "She’s Killing Me," about the girl who’s popular and badass, how she uses him and all of that crap. A good song, but do we really need more of these songs on the album? "Like We Used To" is another song that we’ve heard about before, about being jealous of his old girl’s new guy. It’s a cute song, not going to lie, but it’s not something different.

Right as I was thinking "Sometimes" would be a song about some heartbreaking girl from a small town in Ohio, it was clearly apparent that I was wrong. It has a more techno, ultra lounge feel to it. Aside from the fact that they repeat the word "sometimes" about a thousand times, it’s an extremely good song and a nice change. After "Sometimes," we get to "Baby Blue Eyes," an adorable, slow song about his girl that has, you guessed it, baby blue eyes. Santino sings about his girl that may have a hardcore partying rep, but he loves her anyway. It’s just as repeated as "Dakota," but you can’t deny you don’t feel a tug of the heart when you hear it. "Baby Blue Eyes" leads into "Give a Damn," a story just about that party girl. It’s a fast paced song that I found myself wanting to dance to; it’s just that confidence booster you need right before you go on a Friday night. However, there has been some controversy I’ve heard that A Rocket to the Moon ripped off "Give a Damn" from another small band. None of this has been confirmed and it really isn’t my place to say whether I think it’s true or not. From "Give A Damn" we are led into their title song, "On Your Side." Again, it’s another love song about his love being on his girl’s side. Cheesy, but tastefully done.

“On Your Side” is a decent alternative-pop album brought to us by A Rocket to the Moon. It’s clear they’re not aiming for anything but alterna-pop, and that may be a good thing. Yes, the songs are a little clichéd and we’ve heard them on any similar band’s full-length. My opinion? Buy the album. It’s a great CD; previous fans will love it and it’s sure to bring a lot more new fans. So get on the bandwagon before kids start calling you a poser. You might as well.

Recommended If You Likepop-punk, alterantive-pop; All Time Low, The Maine, Brighten
[/

www.myspace.com/arockettothemoon

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
10:48 PM on 12/07/09
birtcho
is...
User Info.
I don't mind this album but none of the songs come
close to the maines the way we talk. That song and ep are wicked
03:28 PM on 12/08/09
TriangularDuck
we will set sail the prairie
User Info.
I'm pretty sure Annabelle is track one...
10:10 AM on 12/10/09
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Saw the score, stopped reading
05:30 PM on 12/12/09
Dubui_209
This is endless and I know.
User Info.
The cd as a whole blows... I do like Annabelle and Where did you go though
02:13 PM on 12/26/09
caitlinharnett
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Just started to play around with Buzznet and found this mention of me. Thanks so much for your lovely comment regarding On A Lonely Night. I love the song and it was pretty cool for me, all the way from Australia to get to record on A Rocket To The Moon's record. By the way happy christmas to all. xo Caitlin
01:04 AM on 02/06/10
jennalinds
User Info.
I like nick santino, and his first ep after he sort of revamped his sound was impressive. I preordered this album and had high expectations. But half the songs on this album literally sound like male versions of taylor swift songs. One of the few albums i like less and less every time i listen to it. Plus, though Mr. Right and Annabelle are catchy, the lyrics aren't exactly thought-provoking.
11:24 PM on 12/23/10
liz151234
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
y'all are fucking assholes. Like We Used To is GOOD song, he sings great and the lyrics are perfect for someone who is goin through the same thing.. Nick Santino is HOT that other male was... alright lol.
Options

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version