AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Roses Are Red - What Became of Me Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 9.75
Production 9
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 87%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Roses Are Red - What Became of Me

Reviewed by: crazytoledo (06/15/06)
Roses Are Red - What Became of Me
Release Date: June 13, 2006
Record Label: Trustkill

Roses Are Red’s previous full length, ‘Conversations’ was a semi-interesting release that sounded fresh but was hurt by a majority of the songs running together. Their follow up, ‘What Became of Me,’ has started to gather a lot of hype, with AP claiming it as one of the ‘Most Anticipated Releases’ of 2006. So with all the hype going into this release, is it really worth it?

Hell yes.

I didn’t expect to be blown away by ‘What Became of Me.’ The opening track ‘These Days’ comes out of the gates with a strong mix of catchy rock verses and killer choruses with unforgettable sing alongs. The guitar work by Tom Zenns and Shaun Murphy, which is a mix of distorted rock guitars infused with a truck load of hooks, is the perfect back drop for Vincent Minervino vocals. Minervino’s emotion throughout the album is dead on and he easily hits every note every time.

‘Failure’ may be one of the best songs I’ve heard this year. The song is absolutely loaded with hooks and the lyrics are something I can easily relate to: ‘I feel this pressure weighing down, weighing down on me / I can't complete a thought, it's hard to breathe, it keeps me awake / I'm walking fearfully through every day, through every place, but I, I just can not turn away / Failing in conversation, but I wanted you to show me.

On ‘Giving It All Tonight’ Roses are Red sound like what Matchbook Romance should have sounded like on their last album if they hadn’t abandoned their solid foundation to create one of the year’s dullest releases. This song is easily one that I can guarantee will get written down in someone’s journal, as once again the lyrics are easy to relate to and are top notch. “The Last Time’ is the stand out track, with the outstanding emotional singing of ‘so, so long my wishing well / you found me in this same hell / so, so long my sweetest day / you take the pain away’ leading into the solo during the bridge. The rest of album continues to blend in emotional lyrics with loads of hooks and even features some keys, acoustic guitars and strings to keep it fresh.

Roses are Red’s second full length on Trustkill Records is one hell of a surprise and easily one of the year’s best in this genre. Brian McTernan’s production here is right on the money and lets Roses are Red fully blossom into their best form. ‘What Became of Me’ is one of the catchiest releases of the year and something that will easily relate to the kids today.

Here’s to Roses are Red becoming the next big thing.

[originally written for Punknews]

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
07:50 PM on 06/20/06
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
Are you kidding me? How can you bash staff reviews of Underoath and Acceptance, calling them bland and generic and then praise this and Greeley Estates? No offense to those bands, but if we're talking generic...plus you're a douche to a TON of the staff's reviews when personally I think your musical taste is the one that blows.
08:55 AM on 06/27/06
crazytoledo
Addicted to slurpees
User Info.
1. I never said anything about Acceptance
2. I'm not a douche to the staff's reviews. When my opinion is different, that doesn't make me a douche. Second off, it's not like I start crap with the staff or anything.
09:13 AM on 05/29/07
brokenwings
Tear the scene down, start over.
User Info.
i agree with everything. i don't get all this hate for the band. i love this record.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums