AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Norma Jean - Bless the Martyr and Kiss the Child Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 4
Musicianship 5
Lyrics 5
Production 3
Creativity 6
Lasting Value 4.5
Reviewer Tilt 4.5
Final Verdict: 46%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.15
Musicianship 7.3
Lyrics 6.6
Production 5.95
Creativity 6.45
Lasting Value 6.85
Reviewer Tilt 7
Average: 68%
Inside AP.net

Norma Jean - Bless the Martyr and Kiss the Child

Reviewed by: Austavious (12/05/09)
Norma Jean - Bless the Martyr and Kiss the Child
Record Label: Solid State Records
Release Date: August 13, 2002

As a Norma Jean fan, and an even bigger fan of the metalcore genre, a lengthy listen of Bless the Martyr and Kiss the Child was an incredible disappointment. This was the very first album produced, and (thankfully) the last that Josh Scogin participated in as vocalist. An obvious yet interesting fact about Bless the Martyr is that it was recorded without the use of computers, which was either a complete mistake, or maybe an act of over-confidence on Scogin's part.

The first track of this loud, unorganized mess of an album is "The Entire World Is Counting on Me, and They Don't Even Know It". After an incredible amount of boring guitars, almost inaudible drums, uninteresting and exasperating vocals, and loads of unnecessary stops and pauses, I could already tell that listening was a mistake. Being that there was not one audible word to this song, I looked up the lyrics, only to find the attempt of typical "fu** the world" poetry ("Set this world, all ablaze/For all I care set it all ablaze").

The third track, "Memphis Will Be Laid to Waste" was a step away from amazing. Starting off with an intense scream and building guitar, it later progresses into an eerie guitar bit with Scogin's distant moans. The song reaches an unforgettable climax when Aaron Weiss of mewithoutYou contributes a raw, intense vocal breakdown. This song is full of metaphorical meaning, and the vocals can actually be understood, making "Memphis Will Be Laid to Waste" an unforgettable track.

"Creating Something Out of Nothing, Only to Destroy It", the following track, starts off just like almost every other song off the album; uninteresting and bland. About one minute in, though, it becomes bearable, with change of pace instruments and interesting vocals. After these two accomplishments, the rest of Bless the Martyr and Kiss the Child goes back to the lifeless, boring sound of early Norma Jean, complete with the 15:49 instrumental, "Pretty Soon, I Don't Know What, but Something Is Going to Happen", the dullest instrument collision I have ever had the misfortune of hearing.

Recommended If You LikePost-hardcore, generic metalcore; the Norma Jean discography.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 21.
10:36 PM on 12/29/09
gjpinizz
Life With People
User Info.
this is norma jeans best album and in my opinion one of the better metalcore albums out there.
02:01 AM on 12/30/09
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
Sounds like someone doesn't like Scogin. Sounds like someone wanted to write a review just to say that. How anyone can call 'Memphis will be laid to waste' unforgettable is beyond me. I don't care much for Norma Jean, but that's an excellent track.
05:10 AM on 12/30/09
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Did you forget to write a conclusion?
06:08 AM on 12/30/09
fobmcrafi6
down with the fad
User Info.
Sounds like someone doesn't like Scogin. Sounds like someone wanted to write a review just to say that. How anyone can call 'Memphis will be laid to waste' unforgettable is beyond me. I don't care much for Norma Jean, but that's an excellent track.
THERE S A HELL OF A LOTTA BANDS IN THE POST-HARDCORE SCENE THAT COVER THAT SONG. Honestly i love it and honestly it seems like you were writing more of a hate note to the band than a review. If you hate the album because of one person show the downfall in the vocals don t let it affect your whole view on the album.
06:17 AM on 12/30/09
bard
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
terrible review.
10:55 AM on 12/30/09
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
THERE S A HELL OF A LOTTA BANDS IN THE POST-HARDCORE SCENE THAT COVER THAT SONG. Honestly i love it and honestly it seems like you were writing more of a hate note to the band than a review. If you hate the album because of one person show the downfall in the vocals don t let it affect your whole view on the album.
I'm guessing you weren't meant to be quoting me?
01:02 PM on 12/30/09
Atell
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Wow, horrible review, great Album.
04:01 AM on 12/31/09
Alex1410
User Info.
this album is amazing.
07:41 PM on 01/01/10
Rationalist
Insert Offensive User Title Here
User Info.
Great rating, but you and I have different reasonings behind it.
07:42 PM on 01/01/10
Rationalist
Insert Offensive User Title Here
User Info.
Yes, indeed he did.
08:21 PM on 01/03/10
defmytones
User Info.
This. Apparently the album ends there?

This album has a great deal behind why I listen to many of the artists I do today. I could go on and explain reasons why this is so, but Ill follow suit and end with no purpose really given to what I said.
02:54 PM on 01/08/10
ohmessylife

User Info.
It's a sad day when this album is referred to as an "unorganized mess".
06:28 AM on 01/14/10
fobmcrafi6
down with the fad
User Info.
I'm guessing you weren't meant to be quoting me?
yeah sorry i was actually agreeing with you, i forgot to mention that in the post.
08:26 PM on 02/12/10
jamjams
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
saying you're a norma jean fan and writing this review is an absurd contradiction.
this is the landmark norma jean record.

and seriously????? claiming the lack of computers is a mistake???
most ridiculous comment i've read in a review.

don't use a review to tell everyone you don't like something.
just tell your friends you don't like it.
Options
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS