AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

The Dormers - 12.04.09

Interviewed by
The Dormers - 12.04.09The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

The Dormers
http://thedormers.wordpress.com/about/

1. How did you get your band name?
Our name was influenced by the house where we started to jam in. While we were just starting out my parents’ house on Cape Cod was getting a new “Dormer” installed onto the back half of the second floor. And during a break from jamming one day I asked Rob if he thought the name “The Dormers” was cool? He thought so we continued on as The Dormers ever since. As time past we also realized the name was symbolic of the sound of our band… a very New England influenced sound and our name, taken from a prominent feature on Cape Cod style houses, reflects that same vibe as well.

2. How did this band get started?
Rob and I met back around 2002 when I joined the band Mersa. Rob started Mersa with a friend of ours and they were looking for a drummer and stumbled upon me. We played together a lot, recorded a demo, and played some shows around Boston before we all decided to go our separate ways. I finished going to school at Northeastern, Rob got married and some time pasted. In 2006 my parents ending up buying a home on the Cape and I was able to keep my drums and other gear in the basement. I reached out to Rob, who was living in Plymouth, MA at the time, to see if he wanted to jam. He came down with a case of Miller Lite and we just went at it. I think we wrote two songs in the first hour.
I was still living in Boston in an apartment with no laundry so I used to drive to the Cape on the weekends to do some cleaning and Rob would come down and we would jam. The first year or so was super casual booze fests in the basement, which we aptly called the “Dub Pub.” We would track stuff here and there on garageband mainly just to see if our drunken jams had any actual legs as real songs. Around November of 08 we knew we had something and worked on pre production for our E.P. We reached out to A.J. Peters at Black Box Studios on the south shore and tracked 6 songs, 5 of which made it onto our E.P. “Just beneath the Surface.”

3. What bands are you influenced by?
Speaking for both Rob and myself I think we are influenced by a wide variety of bands right off the bat. The quick bands/artists that come to mind are The Clash, Rancid and The Rolling Stones. But our roots definitely stem from punk rock music. Rob grew up more into the street punk/crust punk world and I grew up more into the west coast “Epitaph/Fat Wreck” punk world. We both have a ton of love for reggae as well as good ole soul music.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?

Our first choice most likely would be the Clash or Rancid. Just because we spent so much time idolizing both of those bands. But in terms of a dream tour I would love to have been a part of any of those mid/late 70’s huge rock tours. Led Zep, Iron Maiden etc… I just can’t imagine the amount of fun those dudes had without a care in the world. To me that was rock n roll excess personified.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?

I’d be a raccoon. Just because they are so sneaky and devilish! Plus there natural little robber mask is badass.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
In an age when music lovers have the luxury to find new and exciting bands on their own terms (i.e. without some suit with a large marketing budget shoving it down your throat) I think there is need to be real and honest. Rob and I are two real and honest young guys who play the music we love and gets us excited. We hope that translates onto our records and when we play live. We are not trend jumping, we are not playing for the wrong reasons we just love loud and fun rock n roll. So if that’s your thing, and it should be, you should listen and love our band.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
The obvious choice for us would be our song “Adina” which will be on our new record. It is a great guitar rock song which would fit the GH/RB theme well. Like any of our songs… not hard to master on the real guitar or a plastic little one.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
The obvious… mom/dad/gf…maybe Kanye West.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Over exposure… there was something mystical about Green Day and Nirvana when I was growing up. They seemed like characters out of a book or movie not real human beings and I liked that. Today with the internet, iPhones, twitter etc… rock stars or musicians are no longer mythical. They are normal dorks like everyone else… and that’s kind of a bummer.

10. Memorable tour experience?
The 2005 warped tour. I was tour manager for The Receiving End of Sirens. It was A TON of work but a blast. Getting to see the country via a tour bus ain’t to bad either.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
To me it is an informational tool. I check the site whenever I can to get updates on bands I like and to find out about new bands.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
A new one of ours called “Impossible Things”

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
A faraway beach, my girl and a margarita. Or the Jersey Shore….

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Anything on Motown… or your basic local oldies station.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
I definitely would love to be able to fly. Imagine.. no fees for extra bags, all the soda and pretzels you want and no security to hassle you. Sounds alright to me!

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?

I don’t know if any band feels they have made it unless they are U2 or somebody.
It is all about perspective. To a band that is still in the basement playing shows at a local VFW is “making it.” To a band that has a record and plays decent clubs, touring with some support full time maybe making it. To a band touring full time, touring more effectively and international may be making it. I think it all boils down to perspective throughout your career as a band.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

Most fans don’t know that we don’t have many fans. YET.

18. What's your favorite holiday?
My birthday… because it is all about me. Not really. I’d have to say Christmas. It’s the most festive and everyone is usually more jolly than usual. Fourth of July is pretty awesome as well.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Play with my two dogs, Atticus and Hank no doubt.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I can read minds and manipulate them. But right now it only works on dogs… I’m working on making the jump to real people. Then it will be easy street for me.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests