AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Yours Til Death - 12.07.09

Yours Til Death - 12.07.09

Interviewed by
Yours Til Death - 12.07.09The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Yours Til Death

http://www.YoursTilDeath.com
http://www.myspace.com/YoursTilDeath

1. How did you get your band name?
I was reading Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky and the letter written to Raskolnikov had the closing "Yours Till Death". This may have been a common way to close letters back then, but it really struck me as a brilliant way to express absolute devotion and dedication in just a few words. Given my relentless perfectionism, it seemed a fitting way to name the band.

2. How did this band get started?
For years I've been a hired/touring guitarist, and I'm always writing during any time off. After a few years on the road with Rihanna, I decided it was time to really focus on my own project. As opposed to being a mercenary, for hire. I collected a handful of songs and brought in some friends to record at my home studio in Silverlake. The band started as an outlet for my songs but became much more collaborative when I found Dave Berg and Hayden Scott. Both of which are brilliant all-around musicians, in addition to being badass at their respective instruments. They spend as much time and energy crafting their parts as I do crafting my songs, and with them I'm comfortable stepping back and letting things evolve naturally...

3. What bands are you influenced by?
Musically we seem to draw loose comparisons to Queens Of The Stone Age, Foo Fighters, Muse, Weezer. But my voice isn't really similar to any of those singers. It's more in the realm of Elliott Smith and Grandaddy. Recently we've all been enjoying the Them Crooked Vultures record as well everything by Mew and Grizzly Bear. As a writer, I'm just as influenced by novels and film as I am by music. Cormac McCarthy has been a huge inspiration recently, as well as Kurt Vonnegut, Chuck Palahniuk, Milton Friedman, Roger Waters, Lennon/McCartney, Kurt Cobain, Leonard Cohen, and Brian Wilson.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
Dr. Teeth and The Electric Mayhem

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
I'd definitely be an Abominable Snowman because they are much better than the regular kind.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
Because it's better than not listening to our band. In our opinion. Plus, our CDs make excellent projectile weapons in case you're ever outmatched in a kung fu battle.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
Tough question. Most of our songs and riffs can be played on a single guitar string, generally the low E. Except for my solos, where I generally attempt to play ALL the notes. ALL the time. In the video game world, our songs would be a strange mix between beginner level and ninja level I suppose. I find Guitar Hero/Rock Band to be much more difficult than actually playing guitar in real life It goes without saying that a 7 year old could easily beat me at my own songs on Guitar Hero/Rock Band.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
The machine.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

If the music industry was anywhere as big as the sports industry, life would be good.

10. Memorable tour experience?
I find it infinitely more satisfying to play original music to a small club of 80 people, than to play to an arena of 80,000 as a hired guitarist. I've spent lots of time doing both.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
A great community for bands and fans, and an inspiring place for new music.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
Every time we play "Cut And Paste" it feels like the first time we ever played it. The original inspiration for the song is always there, and the energy always feels right.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
We basically live in a vacation spot. Los Angeles. Highly recommended.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Most of my friends consider me a superhero because of my ability to eat 9 or 10 tacos from La Estrella within a period of about two minutes. And polish that off with a bag of Whole Foods cookies. I'm usually alive the following day, and that is generally credited to my super powers.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
If by "it" you mean "our first EP". Then yes, we've made it :) We're brand new and are just psyched to be releasing our first EP and playing some shows!

I feel that one trait of successful people is that they never feel they have "made it". Even the ones who have "made it" by other people's standards. Successful people/bands just never stop working. I think that's a healthy mindset.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I frequently jog from my place in Silverlake to the Hollywood sign. And back. It's about 15 miles total and I love it.

18. What's your favorite holiday?
Did you know that January is Carnivorous Plant Appreciation Month? Carnivorous plants!!! Seriously, they need to be appreciated.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Sleep

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I know where all the Los Angeles taco trucks are. At all times.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests