AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Canada Water - One Shot Farewell Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 6.5
Production 7.25
Creativity 5.75
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 7.25
Final Verdict: 70%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Canada Water - One Shot Farewell

Reviewed by: ikikwe (12/08/09)
Canada Water - One Shot Farewell
Record Label: Self-released
Release Date: December 17, 2009

Who?

Canada Water is a relatively young pop-punk band straight out of the UK. They've opened for a number of lauded bands including The Wonder Years and Kris Roe of the Ataris. One Shot Farewell is their debut EP.

How is it?

Being their first effort, Canada Water's One Shot Farewell shows promise. However, the band employs a lot of pop-punk standbys that come across as a little tired. The band, unsurprisingly, is reminiscent of another UK pop-punk band, All or Nothing. It kind of reminds me of Clint Howard compared to his more successful brother Ron Howard. Whereas Canada Water is nowhere near as ugly as Clint Howard, they don't exactly strike me like the narration of Ron Howard on Arrested Development. I was originally thinking of comparing the band to Emilio Estevez's less talented sibling Joe Estevez, but absolutely no band will ever deserve that comparison.

Canada Water doesn't necessarily do anything wrong; they are catchy, fun, and not once do the lyrics make the listener cringe. They don't even come off as a tired All Time Low rip-off or anything. The problem is they don't really introduce anything new. The synths feel forced at parts, and the heavy instrumentals have the feel of Four Year Strong. If they ditched the pseudo-hardcore backdrop, I think the band would be a great addition to any pop-punk aficionado's library. At this point though, they will be living in the shadow of bands like All or Nothing and Save Your Breath for the rest of their career if they do not switch their act up a little.

Recommended If You LikeSave Your Breath, All Or Nothing, Four Year Strong, early The Wonder Years

http://www.myspace.com/canadawateruk

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
12:01 PM on 12/31/09
gonnagetuhigh
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
good review, i'll check them out!
09:56 AM on 11/10/12
Furious D
User Info.
Just found out about this the other day, really really good!
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums