Username
Password

02:31 PM on 12/12/09 
User Info.
ThisIsSuchAPity
Give me younger us
Columbus, OH
Male - 20 Years Old
Just started The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. Late pass, I know.
02:33 PM on 12/12/09 
User Info.
chokemeout
Leicester UK
Female - 26 Years Old
I'm not entirely sure how anyone can make comparisons between Faulkner and the bollocks that is Cormac McCarthy.

Finished up The Crystal World - J G Ballard - Was descriptive and well written, interesting story line and a quick read.
02:37 PM on 12/12/09 
User Info.
IAmNietzche
It's raining mah'fuckas!
Philadelphia, PA
Male - 28 Years Old
I'm not entirely sure how anyone can make comparisons between Faulkner and the bollocks that is Cormac McCarthy.

Finished up The Crystal World - J G Ballard - Was descriptive and well written, interesting story line and a quick read.
I find it funny when people choose McCarthy to be the author that they're going to diss in order to look literate and discerning. You can dislike his writing, but to call him bollocks is ignorant and tiresome.

Exactly how many McCarthy books have you read in coming to the conclusion you have?
02:38 PM on 12/12/09 
User Info.
yellowhouse
there's a lot of beauty, sometimes
Baton Rouge, LA
Male - 24 Years Old
I find it funny when people choose McCarthy to be the author that they're going to diss in order to look literate and discerning. You can dislike his writing, but to call him bollocks is ignorant and tiresome.

I back this one hundred percent.
02:40 PM on 12/12/09 
User Info.
stayillogical
She's a marshmallow
Providence, RI
Female - 26 Years Old
I'm excited for finals to be over and pick up a new book. Spending hours reading instead of a few minutes at a time is much more gratifying.
02:48 PM on 12/12/09 
User Info.
chokemeout
Leicester UK
Female - 26 Years Old

Exactly how many McCarthy books have you read in coming to the conclusion you have?

I can dislike his writing but I can't call it bollocks?
and I wouldn't say I chose to "diss" McCarthy to appear to be anything. I was merely saying that I cant understand where the comparison comes in.
11:59 PM on 12/12/09 
User Info.
Trent Gill
willreadbooksformoney @ tumblr
London, ON
Male - 26 Years Old
Infinite Jest- by David Foster Wallace. Has anyone read it? I read it because a past teacher suggested it, but no one else I know has read it, and I really want to know what other people think about it.

You might not want to hear this kind of hyperbole, but it's the best thing ever written. It's not like it has to be read -- but if you're interested in contemporary literature that makes a stand for the future of fiction in a complex and challenging way, it's a crucial text. If I had the influence to tell everyone one thing to read, that would be it.

Also, this whole opposition to McCarthy thing is kind of funny. There's no fucking way that someone is more literate or a better reader because they don't like McCarthy, because McCarthy's command over the language is something to be admired. Trying to say something of value is not bollocks. It's what writers are supposed to do.
04:15 AM on 12/13/09 
User Info.
drudo182
Be Royal
Springfield, MO
Male - 29 Years Old
So good. Love McCarthy.

Is it good? I've only read The Road. Thought it was a beautiful read. The fact that I can become attached to people with his minimalist writing speaks volumes about him as an author.

What should I pick up next by him?
09:05 AM on 12/13/09 
User Info.
Mitch
this is water
Jamaica Plain, MA
Male - 25 Years Old
Wait, people consider McCarthy a bad writer? I'm only 75 pages into Blood Meridian, and while the style certainly takes some getting used to I think it's extremely well-written (although I do have to consult a dictionary a few times per chapter, haha).
09:38 AM on 12/13/09 
User Info.
IAmNietzche
It's raining mah'fuckas!
Philadelphia, PA
Male - 28 Years Old
Wait, people consider McCarthy a bad writer? I'm only 75 pages into Blood Meridian, and while the style certainly takes some getting used to I think it's extremely well-written (although I do have to consult a dictionary a few times per chapter, haha).
One person considers him a bad writer. He is in fact probably the most talented living writer.
09:39 AM on 12/13/09 
User Info.
IAmNietzche
It's raining mah'fuckas!
Philadelphia, PA
Male - 28 Years Old
Is it good? I've only read The Road. Thought it was a beautiful read. The fact that I can become attached to people with his minimalist writing speaks volumes about him as an author.

What should I pick up next by him?
Suttree is his masterpiece but it's difficult. I'd recommend All the Pretty Horses.
09:47 AM on 12/13/09 
User Info.
drudo182
Be Royal
Springfield, MO
Male - 29 Years Old
Suttree is his masterpiece but it's difficult. I'd recommend All the Pretty Horses.

K, I'll get that.

I think I'll start The Stand after I'm done with what I'm reading now.

Think I'll order the Complete and Uncut edition.
09:55 AM on 12/13/09 
User Info.
funtasticrich
www.richard-cullen.co.uk
UK
Male
Over halfway through Under the Dome now. I will start the next segment, "Salt", next.

This book has kept me more than entertained up until this point. I just have a feeling my love for the book will hinge on the end. Hope it's not a disappointment.

thats the part i'm up too as well. i've really enjoyed it so far. much better than duma key. i wonder how barbie is going to get out of this situation
01:27 PM on 12/13/09 
User Info.
dakota0135
Whorecruxes
UK
Female - 22 Years Old
The Color Purple is my favourite book. It's so great.
I like the way it's written in letters, but I'm not far enough in yet to have a real opinion.
01:35 PM on 12/13/09 
User Info.
Trent Gill
willreadbooksformoney @ tumblr
London, ON
Male - 26 Years Old
His writing may be minimalistic, but McCarthy's themes are immense. His ability to use simple, terse description along with amazing imagery to conjure up these huge questions is what makes him brilliant. He's a very careful writer.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos