Username
Password

03:15 PM on 12/15/09 
User Info.
lindZ629
Hold my hand just one more time
LI
Female - 27 Years Old
You can't read a book in a month? Find a shorter book.
I don't know if that's directed at me, but I know at my library the newer books can only be out for 7 or 14 days. The older ones I think get a month. But if you have them all piled up, like she said, finishing 3 or 4 in a month can be challenging.
03:23 PM on 12/15/09 
User Info.
Pat k
sunchildspeaks.blogspot.c om
Downers Grove, IL
Male - 28 Years Old
Big bummer. I've found that most books, minus new releases, fetch 3 weeks plus one 3-week renewal. At my school, 10 renewals of 1 month each means you own the book for all intensive purposes. I hardly ever plan what book I'll read next. It makes reading more of a chore than a pleasurable experience.
10:55 PM on 12/15/09 
User Info.
Trent Gill
willreadbooksformoney @ tumblr
London, ON
Male - 26 Years Old
I have a pretty large anti-library -- in other words, books I own but haven't read. And I really think there's nothing wrong with having one, because it's a reminder of how much you have left to learn. The point being that it's a non-stop process.
08:44 AM on 12/16/09 
User Info.
gusta0117
nacho abalafa barnacle loofties
Lancaster, PA
Male - 27 Years Old
i see all the talk of McCarthy a few pages back. i guess im a few days late with this question.
i just read the Road and i loved it. are any of his others similar to that? i took a quick glance at some and while i want to read Suttree, I just don't know if it will interest me.

edit: did anyone read the Lost Symbol yet?
09:44 AM on 12/16/09 
User Info.
dakota0135
Whorecruxes
UK
Female - 22 Years Old
But with library books you have to read them by a certain time, otherwise you have to get them extended or pay a late fee. I don't have to get to my books anytime soon, since they'll just be sitting in the same spot I left them in.
I read a book in couple of days. so I do read them in time. It's just if I don't have any time limit at all, I never get round to them. It doesn't make sense really.

I just finished No Country For Old Men. I did enjoy it, even though it's not the type of book I'd normally read. Now I can watch the film though, since I like to read books first.
I like the simplistic way McCarthy books are written, but because he doesn't but in speech marks I sometimes get confused as to who's talking. I also think that I missed something at the end, even though I read the last few 'chapters' a few times, did they every catch Chigurh?
Next I think I'll read Children of the Mind by Orson Scott Card. I requested for my library to buy it and they did, but I've still not started it.

i see all the talk of McCarthy a few pages back. i guess im a few days late with this question.
i just read the Road and i loved it. are any of his others similar to that? i took a quick glance at some and while i want to read Suttree, I just don't know if it will interest me.
I really enjoyed The Road as well. I just read No Country For Old Men, which I would recommend. It's not the same storyline, but the writing style is similar.
03:11 PM on 12/16/09 
User Info.
Pat k
Downers Grove, IL
Male - 28 Years Old
I read The Road immediately after I read The Corrections, and alas, it could not compete. The Road was a very delicious and meaningful appetizer, but The Corrections was a 7-course meal.
01:57 AM on 12/18/09 
User Info.
dakota0135
Whorecruxes
UK
Female - 22 Years Old
I started reading the first Battle Royale book this morning, and got through a few chapters. I wanted to read it before I watched the film, but the thing about manga is that there's not really many words to rate.
09:19 AM on 12/18/09 
User Info.
IamTheINDUSTRY
glory glory
Male - 30 Years Old
just finished i know this much is true. FAN-FUCKINGTASTIC.
10:05 AM on 12/18/09 
User Info.
IAmNietzche
creepy Rob Lowe
Philadelphia, PA
Male - 28 Years Old
I read The Road immediately after I read The Corrections, and alas, it could not compete. The Road was a very delicious and meaningful appetizer, but The Corrections was a 7-course meal.
It's also Franzen's best vs. McCarthy's worst.
10:06 AM on 12/18/09 
User Info.
IAmNietzche
creepy Rob Lowe
Philadelphia, PA
Male - 28 Years Old

edit: did anyone read the Lost Symbol yet?
Suttree is very difficult and you'll probably be bored. If you want another McCarthy that is similar to The Road then No Country is really your only other choice.
10:40 AM on 12/18/09 
User Info.
Ravenna
flinching
just picked up an anthology of short stories by Arthur Schnitzler (who wrote Traumnovelle). very exicted to get into that, now that I'm on holidays.
12:12 PM on 12/18/09 
User Info.
Pat k
Downers Grove, IL
Male - 28 Years Old
It's also Franzen's best vs. McCarthy's worst.

Yeah, so? Comparing books, not authors.
01:20 PM on 12/18/09 
User Info.
Colorblind!
lord top button
London, ON
Male - 22 Years Old

Listening to Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close on audiobook. It's basically a book that belongs on the shelves of Urban Outfitters.

Recently finished some stuff by David Shields. This dude rules. Black Planet was about his obsession with Gary Payton, the basketball player, and his short stories collection, called Handbook for Drowning, was short and sweet.

Favorite read this year? The Corrections, dawg. Still need to finish a bunch of stuff I put down like 2666, House of Leaves, and Broom of the System. I'm sure there's more, too.

I think our man takingbackrufio recommended and I would rank it among the best books I've read to this point.
01:24 PM on 12/18/09 
User Info.
IAmNietzche
creepy Rob Lowe
Philadelphia, PA
Male - 28 Years Old

Listening to Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close on audiobook. It's basically a book that belongs on the shelves of Urban Outfitters.

Recently finished some stuff by David Shields. This dude rules. Black Planet was about his obsession with Gary Payton, the basketball player, and his short stories collection, called Handbook for Drowning, was short and sweet.

Favorite read this year? The Corrections, dawg. Still need to finish a bunch of stuff I put down like 2666, House of Leaves, and Broom of the System. I'm sure there's more, too.
Haha, hmmmm... I wonder where you get your book recommendations.
02:24 PM on 12/18/09 
User Info.
Pat k
Downers Grove, IL
Male - 28 Years Old
Haha, hmmmm... I wonder where you get your book recommendations.

Is there a punchline? Haha. Those books are long and I tend to hit the 3/5 wall hard.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos