AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Portugal The Man - 06.26.06

Portugal The Man - 06.26.06

Interviewed by
Portugal The Man - 06.26.06Can you introduce yourselves and tell us what you do in Portugal?

John Gourley, guitars vocals

So what is the biggest atribute or inspiration to the unique sound of PTM?

There are alot of influences with this band. Musically its a groove and a movement. If It doesn't flow then it doesn't work.

Waiter: "You Vultures!" has had great success since its release. When are you planning to start the new record?

We have no plans. The record is written and waiting. just needs the right time I suppose. In all honesty I would love to do at least a record a year. Of course, I would never want to release music just for the sake of releasing music. Let me also say here that if we ever release music that you don't like... we probably released it for the sake of releasing it

On the topic of sound, you have been doing tours with bands for the most part don't share a similar sound. Is there any certain reason for that or is it just how its worked out?

Touring with bands that share sounds doesn't always mean you will be expanding a fanbase. At the end of the day the band is about forward movement and progress. I am sure we will be doing more fitting tours as we go along. There are many bands we love and would like to tour with but for now we need to do what we can to take the steps neccessary to the bands growth. Plus, for the most part, the bands we tour with are close friends. Needless to say, friends make the best tour experience

So some of the members are for the band Anatomy of a ghost. What has been a noticeable difference from that band to this one?

Different members? Could that be an answer? Because thats mine. Different members. Oh yeah. It sounds different too. I hear some people that liked anatomy don't like this record. You know what else? I hear some people that like portugal don't like anatomy. Weird eh?

I hear that you sale AOAG cd's at your shows now. Is there any certain reason behind that?

That band helped us to be where we are at now. Without Anatomy we wouldn't have fearless or be doing the tours we get right now. Its a small part of our careers, but part of it nonetheless

So there are pictures of john in the recording studio with Fear Before The March Of Flames. Is there a chance you might be doing some guest vocals?

Yes. They were kind enough to ask me to be a part of it. It is an amazing record. I am very lucky to be a part of it. kinda. well, I am a part of it. I think I did about three notes.

When are the "Tits and Vagina" shirts gonna be available?

We hate withholding Tits and Vagina. They are available now... You gots to come to the show though. None of the hand drawn shit goes online as of yet. Keeping it to the merch table.

What are some of your biggest influences musically as a band and individually?

Musically? Weird Al. He made music. He introduced all of us to new things. He likes to wear his hair long and curly.

Lets be honest here.. Is portugal really the man?

Does it really need to be asked? You would assume so, right? We used to have a Mapco in alaska. It was there for a while. I think it is a Holidays now.

Are there any plans for any tours for the rest of the year that you know about yet?

Hmm. Action Action and the Circa Survive later this summer. Hopes for Europe and/or Alaska this fall.

Boxers or briefs? all the girls wanna know!

Oh man! We were watching Weekend at Bernies last night! Guess what!? Today, we barley missed Weekend at Bernies 2! We were wearing onesies.

I heard that you guys just recorded a music video. What song is it for and what was the concept of the video?

AKA M80 the Wolf. The video came out pretty amazing. There is a bear in it. I am sure we should be moving along wwith it soon. We are happy with it. I'm not sure if many bands can say that. We do.

If the band could do a tour with any 3 bands dead or alive who would they be and why?

Dylan, Neil Young, Rage Against the Machine. Amazing artists who, for a time anyway, had some good shit to say. It would be pretty fucking cool to hang with them. Maybe. Maybe Rage would be a little intense. I would really just love to watch them. Neil Young and Bob Dylan would be fun to chat up.

Is there any bands that are new or up and coming that you are really excited about?

I really dig Celebration. Pretty amazing group.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 29
09:06 AM on 06/26/06
codex avellum31
I'm in the Mitchell report
User Info.
this interview sucks. ask more questions and better ones. like about the album, and songs and stuff. not is portugal really the man? psh stupid.
09:14 AM on 06/26/06
bitterhalo
User Info.
yea, john seemed kinda sarcastic in a bunch of his answers. the questions were a little weak.
09:18 AM on 06/26/06
golly_sandra
glory & us come together.
User Info.
Haha yeah no offense but I didn't enjoy that very much. It was too short and they were all the typical questions that always get asked.
09:19 AM on 06/26/06
YourMusicSucks
True Punk Fan
User Info.
Originally Posted by codex avellum31
this interview sucks. ask more questions and better ones. like about the album, and songs and stuff. not is portugal really the man? psh stupid.

I'd phrase it differently but... yeah, very little was achieved in this interview.
09:23 AM on 06/26/06
Brandon Herbel
Registered Member
User Info.
The interview questions were from reader/fan submitted questions. Sorry if we didn't get the information you wanted.
09:23 AM on 06/26/06
phoenixinflames
User Info.
i fucking LOVE Weekend At Bernies
09:25 AM on 06/26/06
wiReZ
asdf
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
well, i had high hopes for a good read...
09:28 AM on 06/26/06
GDSP
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Even a bad interview with John is better than a good interview with most other bands. I like how he completely ignored the stupid question about boxers or briefs.
09:29 AM on 06/26/06
solanka
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I really liked this interview, so fuck off all of you, and :thumbsup: brandon.
09:39 AM on 06/26/06
xuixinho
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Will they ever play in Portugal?
09:50 AM on 06/26/06
bitterhalo
User Info.
well if you want to read a more in depth interview with portugal the man, check out the one over at emotionalpunk.com
09:51 AM on 06/26/06
Rith
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Actually, it are the questions 'we' submitted -- But yeah, I'd feel bad if I were john, from the interview it doesn't really sound as if the interviewer digged into John's past and musical carreer. Sorry to say.
09:53 AM on 06/26/06
Jeremy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
If I had to answer those weak questions I would have answered the same way.
09:56 AM on 06/26/06
Brandon Herbel
Registered Member
User Info.
I am more then welcome to redo the interview. Just let me know if you guys want to and I will make sure to have it happen.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos