Password

Album Review
Sleeping at Last - Keep No Score Album Cover

Sleeping at Last - Keep No Score

Reviewed by
Sleeping at Last - Keep No Score
Release Date: June 21, 2006
Record Label: Unsigned

There are times when I really wonder how damaged the state of modern music is. Pop is becoming shallower than ever, relying on image and production more than substance. Rap continues it upwardly misogynistic trend, objectifying women while chest-beating rituals attempt to assert some intangible "cred." Rock is seeing its fair share of disappointments as well, with artists and producers dutifully worshipping at the altar of autotune while lyrical depth and, well, talent are relegated to being purely optional.

In this mire, adding to the mess of everything is the ever-present debate over which bands are on which labels, who is getting dropped, who is getting signed, and so forth. Within this soap operatic shuffle, sometimes the good die young, and in this fashion, some of the best bands find themselves without a home. With this unfortunate twist of fate befalling Sleeping at Last, parting with Interscope Records, the band went away for almost three years and did just what everyone hoped they would. They recorded the best damn follow up to Ghosts that a fan or newcomer alike could ask for.

On Ghosts, Sleeping at Last introduced themselves as an immediate powerhouse. Quite simply put, the band did not know how to put out a record that sounded like a debut. Everything on Ghosts was immediate, sweeping, majestic, and grandiose. In fact, it was so epic, that it was borderline exhausting. After a run through of the record, a listener feels the need to take a break from the thick, textured scores they were previously introduced to, and this was perhaps the record's biggest downfall. As remarkable as it was, Ghosts was still rather more admirable in its ambition than its execution, and in my opinion, fell slightly short of the mark.

It can be easily argued that progress and evolution are what turn a good band into a great one. Certainly, this is not a lesson lost on Sleeping at Last. The boys from Wheaton, IL throw their hats into the 2006 ring with one of the year's best releases. Keep No Score is a haunting, majestic soundscape that finally finds the band reaching a level of comfort within its own sound, further defining the qualities that make it a great act. Throughout Keep No Score's brilliantly layered twelve tracks, the band has created an extremely cohesive work that ties strongly from one track to the next, yet also offers up plenty of variety to keep things enticing.

On Keep No Score, Ryan O'Neal's unique voice has returned in full effect, with his throaty caw serving as a constant reminder of how skilled a singer he is. Sounding like a mix of equal parts Bono, Matthew Cawes, Thom Yorke, and Matt Bellamy, O'Neal has the tools to be one of our generation's best. This is a focal point his band is keenly aware of, as his brother Chad and bassist Dan Perdue complement Ryan with subtle undercurrents, but are cognizant not to overtake him (if that were even possible). The end result, is a subtle fragility inherent in the band's songs, as the minimalist quaintness of this threesome is then polished off by the absolutely brilliant work of a string section led by Susan Voelz. Whatever magic this band has been conjuring up over the past three years, it is a winning recipe, as Sleeping at Last hits its stride so well on Score, as clearly exhibited in the soft and wandering "Needle and Thread" and hauntingly atmospherics of "Dreamlife." While all the tracks on the new LP are solid, though, the clear-cut champion is "Umbrellas," which is easily the most beautiful song released so far this year. With its flawlessly flowing string arrangement working in tandem with O'Neal's acoustic guitar strum, when the hook hits, so much emotion is already overflowing from the song, it will bring you to the verge of tears. If you are unmoved by this song, you might want to verify you still are alive.

In the end, Sleeping at Last has made an independent return much like that of The Format. They looked defeat in the face, and made the gorgeous record they were always capable of. This is quite easily one of 2006's best records, if not the best, and will surely be remembered at the end of the year and beyond.

Recommended if you like: The Man Who-era Travis, Lovedrug, Copeland, U2, The Myriad
This review is a user submitted review from Steve Henderson. You can see all of Steve Henderson's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 37
02:02 PM on 06/30/06
DivisionStreet
Music
User Info.
Wow I can't wait to order this. I'm doing it tonight. They are so great live. I can't believe just three guys can make music that full and wonderful.
02:03 PM on 06/30/06
muzik4lyf5000
@Benzona_
User Info.
this album is up there with the format and anathallo's releases this year. It's beautiful
02:31 PM on 06/30/06
Russ Hockenbury
with special guest
User Info.
If it can't be said two sentences or less, then it shouldn't be said.

That's my philosophy.
02:34 PM on 06/30/06
zeketheplmbr
erection selection
User Info.
Awesome review dude. Very well written.
02:41 PM on 06/30/06
lightcollapse
on the edge of summer
User Info.
great review.

better band and album.

holy shit this is amazing.
02:43 PM on 06/30/06
StartingLine182
Stay What You Are
User Info.
I am not suprised at all this album is as good as you say. This band needs to get picked up again.
03:04 PM on 06/30/06
carramrod2005
User Info.
i love this band so much...i can't believe they were dropped by their record label! they really messed up with letting this band go
03:13 PM on 06/30/06
hmmmmmm
User Info.
Thanks for reviewing them!
Give credit where credit is due!!!!
I love this band. great guys too.
03:14 PM on 06/30/06
ResideInMyMind
User Info.
that's a damn good review... i've never heard Sleeping at Last, but now i'll give them a shot.
03:21 PM on 06/30/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Thanks everyone! (except Russ - damn you and your slacker, informationally-devoid reviews)
03:25 PM on 06/30/06
andrewEP
Andrew@EmotionalPunk.com
User Info.
great review Steve. great band. good taste!
03:28 PM on 06/30/06
SLADE775
Still the greatest
User Info.
Good review.

You might wanna go back and edit a few things though.

Also, it's a little on the long side.

But I agree with everything you said.
03:29 PM on 06/30/06
SLADE775
Still the greatest
User Info.
Originally Posted by andrewEP
great review Steve. great band. good taste!

I like your reviews Andrew.
03:39 PM on 06/30/06
[Mike]
making waves.
User Info.
Excellent review of an amazing band, love this CD, definitely one of my favorites of the year so far. This band deserves so much more popularity.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos