Password

Album Review

Mae - (a)fternoon Album Cover

Mae - (a)fternoon

Reviewed by
Mae - (a)fternoon
Record Label: Cell
Release Date: September 24, 2009
This review is a user submitted review from OurLadyCoolbean. You can see all of OurLadyCoolbean's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
12:10 PM on 01/05/10
collideoscopic
User Info.
Solid review. I think you nailed most of it - I agree that even though I think pretty much everything Mae is doing this year is top notch, I did enjoy (m)orning more overall right from the get-go, while this one is taking a bit to grow on me. Not that it's a bad thing - growers usually end up being favorites of mine after all is said and done. Fight Song could definitely do without the middle part, and overall the songs could be a bit more concise. I'm not sure what the point of the seven-minute marathons is - Mae's strength definitely lies in engaging 3-4 minute pop songs and I hope (e)vening has more of those. "I Just Needed You To Know" that will be on that (e)vening ep is definitely one of those type of songs and one of the best tracks I think they've released this year.
09:49 PM on 01/05/10
OurLadyCoolbean
False. Black bears.
User Info.
Solid review. I think you nailed most of it - I agree that even though I think pretty much everything Mae is doing this year is top notch, I did enjoy (m)orning more overall right from the get-go, while this one is taking a bit to grow on me. Not that it's a bad thing - growers usually end up being favorites of mine after all is said and done. Fight Song could definitely do without the middle part, and overall the songs could be a bit more concise. I'm not sure what the point of the seven-minute marathons is - Mae's strength definitely lies in engaging 3-4 minute pop songs and I hope (e)vening has more of those. "I Just Needed You To Know" that will be on that (e)vening ep is definitely one of those type of songs and one of the best tracks I think they've released this year.
I havent heard "I Just Needed You To Know", i must have missed that month. I definitely agree this one's a grower
And thank you to the editor who corrected everything on here, it was my first review ive done on this site haha
11:08 PM on 01/05/10
nathaniel
User Info.
Mae is a great band. I like their idea to do the three eps, though in my opinion The Everglow is still their greatest album by far. I'm excited to hear (a)fternoon.
10:46 AM on 01/06/10
crypticv24
User Info.
Actually thought The Cure was the worst song of the bunch, though admittedly not much better than The Fight Song. Perfectly echoed my thoughts about everything else, though.
12:43 PM on 01/06/10
Iwudstilldie4u
UCSD's AP.net liaison
User Info.
This was a good review. Excellent job for a first time.
08:26 AM on 02/06/10
Ubermanoeuvre
User Info.
I'm not entirely convinced about (a)fternoon. Obviously, The Everglow was a masterpiece, but I personally think that the pianos played a massive part in that album. Without a permanent pianist, the songs will take a different feel. I just don't anything particularly catchy or memorable when I listen to (a)fternoon. Mae are still one of my favourite bands though.

Iain
Ubermanoeuvre
03:47 PM on 04/12/10
low_rising
Registered Member
User Info.
really liked this one but yea not as good as the previous
04:01 PM on 10/05/11
Zac Djamoos
fantasizing the sight of manhattan
User Info.
Did you realize the EPs' parathesised letters spell the band name?
(m)orning
(a)fternoon
(e)vening

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums