Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

Weekly Nostalgia: Hey Mercedes

Posted by: Jeremy Aaron (01/06/10)
We've already featured Braid in the Weekly Nostalgia spotlight, and it's about time we showcase Bob Nanna's post-Braid band. Hey Mercedes would blend Braid's emo-rock passion with a touch of powerpop melody and accessibility. Their short run, spanning roughly five years, spawned three EP's and two well-loved full-lengths. 2001's Everynight Fire Works found the band navigating the delicate balance of earnestness and catharsis, while 2003's Loses Control went in a slightly more immediate direction, with what seemed like an added focus on catchy supercharged riffs, though its songs remained equally powerful. While the band may no longer be recording, fans can take solace in knowing that Nanna's muse is still alive and well, with his solo project The City on Film and his latest collaboration with HM drummer Damon Atkinson, Certain People I Know, still active. If you been missing out on Hey Mercedes's music thus far, there's no better time than now to check 'em out. Enjoy the videos and share some of your stories and memories with us in the replies.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 60
12:19 PM on 01/06/10
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
"A-List Actress" from Everynight Fire Works (live)

"Eleven to Your Seven" from Everynight Fire Works (live)

"Quality Revenge at Last" from Loses Control
12:24 PM on 01/06/10
The Revisionist
Loves shittyass pop music
User Info.
I can say, with no hyperbole, that hearing this band for the first time in 2004 made me start writing music again. I almost gave up, slowly losing my passion for writing and performing, but hearing Loses Control turned everything around. Incredible album, incredible band. The only time I saw them was their (at the time) farewell show in 2005 and it remains one of the best live performances I've ever seen. Incredible incredible incredible.

Here's a better stream of the "Quality Revenge At Last" video: http://www.roxwel.com/player/heymerc... te=_700&big=1
12:31 PM on 01/06/10
fishingthe_sky
armadillohotel.blogspot.c om
User Info.
Everynight Fireworks is one of the most rewarding albums I've ever owned. It's only gotten better with age.
12:33 PM on 01/06/10
formaldehyde
User Info.
i love hey mercedes! lyrics are great.
12:39 PM on 01/06/10
underthetalking
La Marea Roja
User Info.
The reunion show in Chicago this past September was worth every minute of the 13 hour drive. I love this band.
12:46 PM on 01/06/10
JordanBuell
and sail belly up to the clouds
User Info.
Love this band. wish i could have seen them live at some point.
12:47 PM on 01/06/10
JohnDorian
Linguo Dead?
User Info.
Every time there's an article about Hey Monday I get excited, then I realise it doesn't say what I think it does.
12:49 PM on 01/06/10
etomicsean
Lannen Fall / Sean - Manager
User Info.
the self titled ep is without a doubt one of my favorite releases of all time. bob nanna will forever be in the top of my favorite artists.
12:52 PM on 01/06/10
Theher3tic
We do this to ourselves.
User Info.
These Weekly Nostalgia articles always pick good bands.
12:52 PM on 01/06/10
JordanBuell
and sail belly up to the clouds
User Info.
I can say, with no hyperbole, that hearing this band for the first time in 2004 made me start writing music again. I almost gave up, slowly losing my passion for writing and performing, but hearing Loses Control turned everything around. Incredible album, incredible band. The only time I saw them was their (at the time) farewell show in 2005 and it remains one of the best live performances I've ever seen. Incredible incredible incredible.

Here's a better stream of the "Quality Revenge At Last" video: http://www.roxwel.com/player/heymerc... te=_700&big=1
never actually seen that music video before. its pretty awesome haha thank you!
01:03 PM on 01/06/10
EndSerenading
we were born for battle
User Info.
awesome. "A List Actress" was the first song I listened to this morning on my way to work.

APREESH
01:17 PM on 01/06/10
Festivus
for the rest of us...
User Info.
I was just listening to Everynight Fireworks this morning. I love how that worked out.
01:17 PM on 01/06/10
CaryGrant
The Romantic Egoist
User Info.
Everynight Fireworks = One of the greatest albums ever made.
01:22 PM on 01/06/10
evanthomas
User Info.
january 30th -- split 7" release show for into it. over it. and bob nanna & lauren lo.

7" on evil weevil records. show is in chicago at SUBT.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests