AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Devil Wears Prada, The - Plagues Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8
Creativity 6.75
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 81%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.53
Musicianship 7.47
Lyrics 6.94
Production 8.03
Creativity 6.94
Lasting Value 6.94
Reviewer Tilt 7.28
Average: 73%
Inside AP.net

Devil Wears Prada, The - Plagues

Reviewed by: Dystroxia (01/07/10)
The Devil Wears Prada - Plagues
Record Label: Rise Records
Release Date: August 21, 2007

Forming in 2005, and then releasing their debut album Dear Love: A Beautiful Discord, The Devil Wears Prada made an outstanding debut in 2006. They now have Plagues and With Roots Above and Branches Below. WRAaBB will get reviewed soon, just not now. Anyway, this is another great album from the Dayton, Ohio, band, who stay faithful once more to their Christian belief but is it a good album? Yes it is, in fact.

On to the album. If you notice, it doesn't have an opening song like Dear Love. Instead, there's "Goats on a Boat", obviously the opener. It's a good song with a cool breakdown but there are better tracks, like "Number Three, Never Forget" a fantastic song with Jeremy DePoyster starting out with his clean vocals, then Mike Hranica jumping in with his screamed vocals along with the nice drums and guitar pounding on their own. "Don't Dink and Drance", however, is my least favorite song. The first 30 seconds are good but the song is just boring after that.

"You Can't Spell Crap Without C" has Craig Owens formerly from Chiodos, and his vocals are decent in the middle. The "keyboard" song, a.k.a. "This Song is Called", is a good song despite it being unoriginal other than the above average keyboard playing in the beginning. "The Scorpion Deathlock" is my favorite track, with Hranica's vocals screaming: "Plagues enclose / Sitting upon this wooden bench, I am helpless to billions of bullets / In this moment I am helpless / Why is it so difficult to see ourselves?" The lyrics are good, and they're not bad like most bands either. Some of the lyrics on Plagues probably won't make sense at all, but still good and not below average. "Nickels Is Money, Too" ends the album, and it's a good song but nothing special. Fans of DePoyster however will like this song.

TDWP can play but nothing is mediocre or outstanding, just average...but is it creative? No, not really. Is it original? No. That's the problem. Just like blessthefall and AA, they're just not original. They use breakdowns in every single song, but do strive from the choruses in their songs (except track #10), which to me is a good thing, because it keeps the song structure flowing. TDWP is an above average band, but that's all. The sound quality, however is good but not the best. The 2007 art cover is also better, just saying. Nevertheless, it's another bang from The Devil Wears Prada, who come back with another good release. The Dayton crew score, and they're not backing down off my playlist, even after almost 2 1/2 years of Plagues releasing.

Recommended If You LikeUnderoath; Bring Me the Horizon (as I've been told, so not true); an above average metalcore band

www.myspace.com/tdwp

My Favorite TracksHey John, What's Your Name Again; This Song is Called; The Scorpion Deathlock

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 75.
09:58 PM on 01/07/10
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
I couldn't care less about this band or album, but I have to say this. If you think there's at least something shitty on every album that's out there, you either need to listen to a lot more albums or expand your tastes a little, because you're missing out, dude.
10:36 PM on 01/07/10
singyoutocoma
Find a thread to pull...
User Info.
Your opening paragraph is obnoxious. Everyone knows which album you're reviewing; we read that when clicking the link to open the review. And as for the Christianity thing, if you're sincere, that's an understatement that comes off as ditzy as hell, and if not, it's remarkably witless sarcasm. Unless their Christianity actually affects the CD, then just shut up about it; it's neither helpful background nor good writing.

Also, I have no idea why you thought it was a good idea to dictate your stream of consciousness verbatim, but typically phrases like "I mean" are eliminated during the revision process. If the prior statement is so unclear as to require such an explanation, revise the prior statement.

Lest you think I really get off on being an asshole, I'll stop there. Keep trying; there's a lot in here that could have used some further revision.
10:39 PM on 01/07/10
NateFoundGlory
Why do you stay till you see blood?
User Info.
Your opening paragraph is obnoxious. Everyone knows which album you're reviewing; we read that when clicking the link to open the review. And as for the Christianity thing, if you're sincere, that's an understatement that comes off as ditzy as hell, and if not, it's remarkably witless sarcasm. Unless their Christianity actually affects the CD, then just shut up about it; it's neither helpful background nor good writing.

Also, I have no idea why you thought it was a good idea to dictate your stream of consciousness verbatim, but typically phrases like "I mean" are eliminated during the revision process. If the prior statement is so unclear as to require such an explanation, revise the prior statement.

Lest you think I really get off on being an asshole, I'll stop there. Keep trying; there's a lot in here that could have used some further revision.

Pretty much all of this.
10:40 PM on 01/07/10
Colinreturn
User Info.
"who stay faithful once more to the Christian belief, which I believe is a good thing, don't you think? Of course!"

you either have the mindset of a 14 year old christian girl or a completely witless moron
11:00 PM on 01/07/10
singyoutocoma
Find a thread to pull...
User Info.
Pretty much all of this.
What a great avatar.
11:11 PM on 01/07/10
rawspinner
Fight the Cancer
User Info.
You're 16. Keep working on your writing craft. It comes with practice.
11:26 PM on 01/07/10
exploration #4
Dude
User Info.
Quote:
I like those lyrics, and they're not shitty like most, either. I mean, some of them probably won't make sense at all, but they're still good.

excuse me?
11:53 PM on 01/07/10
gjpinizz
Life With People
User Info.
this review was pretty inappropriate...
12:47 AM on 01/08/10
Akissforher
City Love
User Info.
'"You Can't Spell Crap Without C" has Craig Owens formerly from Chiodos'
01:49 AM on 01/08/10
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
awful
03:19 AM on 01/08/10
npmshah
Our Love Is Like A Song
User Info.
yeah... this review sucked. No offense, but you REALLY need to improve your writing style.

Also:
Where is the RIYL?
that, for me, is one of the most important peices in a review.
03:59 AM on 01/08/10
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
I couldn't care less about this band or album, but I have to say this. If you think there's at least something shitty on every album that's out there, you either need to listen to a lot more albums or expand your tastes a little, because you're missing out, dude.
What I was going to say. There's loads of albums without any filler or bad tracks. I feel bad for this guy if his favorite album has a song on it he doesn't like.
04:58 AM on 01/08/10
Domenic182
probably been here longer than you
User Info.
Definitely obvious that a 16 year old wrote this.
04:58 AM on 01/08/10
crimes
douchebag
User Info.
how many album covers are there to this album?
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests