AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Sunlight Ascending - 01.05.10

Interviewed by
Sunlight Ascending - 01.05.10The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Sunlight Ascending (Questions answered by guitarist James Schultz)
http://www.myspace.com/sunlightascending

1. How did you get your band name?
After going through a few terrible band names in our first few months of existence (of which I will not mention here for both your sake and mine), we decided to name ourselves after an Appleseed Cast song called "Sunlit and Ascending", and changed the wording around to our liking.

2. How did this band get started?
Around mid-July of 2007, my brother and I, and a couple of friends decided to start up an instrumental rock band because no one else was really doing anything like it in our area, especially considering our ages at the time (none of us were older than 15). It seemed like a weird idea to everyone at first, but after a while people started digging what we were doing and we're glad we stuck with it. After a few line-up changes, we finally began moving forward as a band at a steady pace around mid-2008.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
Some of our main influences include The Smashing Pumpkins, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Unwed Sailor, Brand New, Between the Buried and Me, Radiohead, Russian Circles and mewithoutYou. We're all huge music lovers so the list could go on forever, but those are several of the bands that helped shape both are tastes in music and the style of music we play.

4. If you could tour with any band, past or present, who would it be and why?
For me, I would say mewithoutYou. Not only are they a great group of musicians (and the chance to meet and tour with them would be awesome), but I feel like with the direction we're going musically, their audience would probably dig what we're doing as well. Same goes for bands like Brand New, Death Cab For Cutie, or even Between the Buried and Me. This might sound odd, but I would rather not tour with another instrumental band. I mean, if we were offered the chance to tour with, say, Mogwai or Russian Circles, we would have no hesitations in taking the offer, but the instrumental or "post-rock" crowd is a hard one to please.

There are so many different markets that we could cater our music towards because we have no vocals, and in my opinion that leaves the music up for more interpretation. So even though we're playing an experimental style of music, I see no reason why we could have to stick to that crowd, because we've noticed that the whole "post-rock" crowd has a different reaction towards us. It's either, "oh, another instrumental band", and they might enjoy us for what we're doing, or it's "oh, another Explosions in the Sky rip-off band". We don't want to be known as that, and we don't think of ourselves as that, but that's what comes with being an instrumental band. If you push your music towards a different crowd, and eventually shape your sound and build on it so you're always passing that certain crowd's expectations of you, then that's probably what's going to set you apart.

5. If you were a furry animal, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
You mean a feathery animal? I think we would all be owls. But I guess furry animals are okay too. I like cats because they just sleep all day. And that's pretty much what I do.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
Because we offer our music to download entirely for free, and there's nothing better than free music!

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
I would probably pick our song "All the Memories, All at Once". It's really long, but I don't think the expert level would be very difficult haha.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
First, we would walk up towards the stage in complete shock that we just won a Grammy, and then we'd act really awkward for a few minutes as we decide who's going to thank who first, and finally we would all have huge smiles on our face and mutter the word "Satan".

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
It would be great if producers and promoters actually cared about quality and music, instead of what's trendy and what sells. That seems like the most obvious and cliched answer, but at the same time I feel like that's the biggest problem. Right now, the only way you're gonna make it is if you look a certain way, promote a certain product, or play radio music. It would be great if that changed. But it would also be cool if pigs could fly.

10. Memorable tour experience?
Pretty much just playing with Orbs for 3 nights in row. We got to meet Dan Briggs from Between the Buried and Me, Adam Fisher and Goose Holyoak from Fear Before, Ashley Ellyllon, who is now a live member for Cradle of Filth, and finally Chuck from Nightbear (who also happens to be BTBAM's merch guy). The fact that we played in these tiny little venues to like 20/30 people each night was just an awesome feeling. It was a great little experience and we can't wait to get out on the road again.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
When it comes to underground and even mainstream music, there aren't many sites that cover as broad of a range as AP, while still doing it in a fair manor. I find myself coming here a lot to check out new and undiscovered bands mostly, and there's always a ton of updates.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
Our new song for sure, which we are at the moment calling "Autumn" (until we think of something with a little more thought haha). It's around 12+ minutes long and has a bunch of different parts and emotions going on. Easily the most powerful piece of music we've ever written. I hope you'll all feel the same way when you hear it!

13. What do you do in your spare time?
When we're together as a band, it's either band practice, Taco Bell, or prank calls.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Uhh... our music does!

15. What are some of your favorite venues to perform at?
I always enjoy playing at The Pike Room or Static Age. The Magic Stick is another great venue as well.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
Definitely not. But some crazy things have happened to us in the past few months that have come as great surprises. We opened up for bands like Pelican, Saosin, and InnerPartySystem, we'll have our music featured in an upcoming movie called Annabelle and Bear, and now we're currently entered in a contest where we could play live on Fuel TV. It's pretty exciting stuff.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
To our fans that haven't seen us live yet, I guess I'd say the fact that we're all vegetarians. It's probably obvious to people who see us live, considering we have "Go Veg" plastered all over our amps, but I guess that's not something we mention outside of our live show.

18. What's your favorite holiday?
Arbor Day of course.

19. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
We're the best prank callers of all time.

20. Lastly, any shout outs?
First and foremost, we want to thank our fans, friends and family for the endless support, because we wouldn't be here without you! We also want to thank Headlights Over Hills, the entire Oakland County music scene, and all of the bands that we continuously play shows with. Fianlly, we'd like to thank our new manager Eric Gerloff for seeing the potential in what we're doing. He helps bands like I See Stars, A Hero A Fake, and Farewell to Freeway, so check out all those guys too!

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
04:41 AM on 01/08/10
Praetor
bippity boppity
User Info.
Will listen based on band name. Any Appleseed Cast namedrop is a good namedrop.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos