AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.
Inside AP.net

A Static Lullaby - 07.03.06

Interviewed by: Brandon Herbel (07/05/06)
This interview was conducted through email on July 3rd 2006

Joe, I first want to start off by saying thank you for sitting down and taking the time to answer some questions for us here at ap.net.

Thank you for taking the time to listen to what I have to say. I really appreciate the thoughtfulness in the choice of your questions, and respecting my wishes from our prior conversation. Before I finish the rest of this interview Im going to state my feelings on a matter that will set the tone for the rest of the interviews I choose to do. I have recently been on the receiving end of bad press conducted by one or more of my former bandmates. And in deciding to do this interview, I've made the choice to leave them out completely. I choose to no longer support the efforts of my former bandmates, nor choose to expose anyones ears to their music/projects by mentioning them or their band in my interviews. I do wish everyone the best of success. I apologize to the fans who took the time to ask questions pertaining to this matter. I truly believe that the interest of my new record is important enough to drive itself.

There has been some member changes in the band. Can you please give us some background on the guys (name, age, instrument, ect.)

Shortly after the band got off the road in November we put out a post on our myspace letting people know we were looking for new members. We received many responses, Dan and I looked over each carefully listening to music people submitted and reading letters people wrote. The first to join the band was John Martinez (age 20/guitar). After speaking with him on the phone he came to my house he played and sang a couple of his songs on guitar and almost instantly we were sure John would make a great addition to the band. Shortly there after we asked him to be a part of ASL. Dane Poppin( age 20/bass) on the other hand was a little bit more difficult. At the time Dane contacted me he was living in Boston enrolled at Berklee Music College. I have a problem flying a guy out all the way from Boston to try out for the band, to possibly not even make it. I was even a bit nervous about letting some dude stay at my house that i didnt know. I had him cancel his flight , he called me back and basically told me to let him try out, that he wouldnt be a let down and he felt he could contribute to the band on a musical level! Not one person who asked to try out was that passionate. So .... Dane hopped on a plane, hung out for a few days, and now im stuck with him for the rest of my life. Though it does help that he's the most talented bass player I have ever seen. Jarrod Alexander (age 26/drums) had played in ASL for about a year and left during FASO. After undergoing member changes I asked Jarrod to join and with little hassle he was back in the band. Jarrod and I always remained on great terms so going to him wasnt hard. He was always my first choice, being that he is my favorite drummer.

So the new self-titled album is due out in October. How far along in the recording process are you guys?

As im typing, Dan is recording his guitar. We've been tracking for almost 2 weeks now. If we stay on track the album should be done by August 1.

What has been the best part of the whole writing process of this album so far?

Id have to say how "easy" it was. It was amazing to start from scratch without having to deal with past emotions and attitudes etc. One after another the songs came from us. After 5 years of ASL, I think Dan and I have learned a couple things. One is that we need each other. I started playing with dan when i was 14 years old, 10 years later im still making music with him and he's my best friend. I learned that no matter how hard things get if you stick by your friends things tend to work out for the best. I think I can speak for both of us when I say we learned how to write a song. Dan has always been a talented song writer. But over the course of this band I've learned how to write a song, maybe not using the most profound lyrics possible onto writing something that can have a profound effect on the listener, whether on a personal level or a musical level. I know half the reason the band had a falling out, was because half the people wanted to try and fix somthing that wasn't broke. Now I'm truly glad to say that is finally "A Static Lullaby" anything else should be left to other bands.

The guy that is producing the new album is the same guy that did the first one right?

Yes, Steve Evetts, I'm his number one fan! As long as I'm making records, I will be with him, hahahahaha, I don't know if he feels the same way but.....

How many tracks can we plan on seeing on it?

Were recording 12 tracks, 1 is a cover. I know at least 10 will make it on the record .

As a band matures or changes the music obviously does too. How would you describe the new album compared to the previous two?

I answerd part of this question already. I can just say that its truly 100% ASL. It's not ADFTB, its not FASO... Its raw emotion, a heavy driven rock album with plenty of reference to the aspects of "ASL" that fans/people fell in love with and hold true.

Why did the band decide to self-title this album?

This was something that weighed a little heavy on my shoulders. The band got into the habit of trying to get witty with song titles and album names. I wanted a no bullshit album, everyone did! I believe that these songs are the best we have written. I believe I was a fool for not noticing sooner. The band had become everything ASL wasn't. I don't want my music to be "stoned", if I did I'd put it in a record that suited that style. But, with the making of our self titled release, I believed in everyway that ASL needed to be assoiciated with this release.

Who did the artwork for the album and is there any significance behind it?

Well, the whole concept came through many conversations with my friend Kyle, who did all the photoshopping. The general concept was that no-one should be held down, no matter what they indure. It was represented by a couple. The whole light at the end of tunnel thing, we all wanted it illustrated and per my conversations with Fearless we winded up with the most amazing artist . He transformed our thoughts perfectly to paper. Everyone goes through shit, it's what you choose to do after everything goes wrong that makes the man or woman.

Do you feel with all the member changes that its still ASL and is there really any big meaning behind the name?

ASL lies with people that buy our records, come to our shows and support us. The big meaning is just that. We have the best fans in the world, I know our records mean alot to people, I've spoken with plenty. Everyone in the band has accepted the roll that comes with that. I will continue to get on stage and make records for those people that have been touched by our songs, the ones that made any connection anywhere. I will continue doing so as long as I believe in making music I love, for people who love it.

I personally liked the last album but I was wondering if the style is going to change on this album from the member changes and then the negative feedback from the last one?

Well thank you for liking Faso, it is a good record... If that was ASL's first record everyones feelings may have been a little different. When we were writing those songs I didn't hear them the same way I heard them on the record. They mixed a polished rock album, with the faders down on my vocals, hahahahahahah. But you know what ? we didnt want to make ADFTB part 2 because everyone else that came on the scene did that for us. Fuck the critics, we're moving on... Everything in music these days is wishy washy. Your on top one sec and then you're not. If staying stable and devolping a core fan base is success...then I'm most successful man in the world. =)

What has been your inspiration musically in the last few months and why?

I've offically lost my mind with this. Ever since dimebag died, Pantera has engulfed me. HAHAHA seriously it's sick, it's all I listen too. If it's not Pantera, it's Down 1. If it's not Down 1, it's someSuperjoint. I really don't see music getting any better then Vulgar Display of Power, but that's just me. I've heard many things about Phill Anselmo and seen him on youtube, but as far as vocalists go for heavy music he's number 1 to me. As for inspiration I like to use myself alot. I always want to scream louder, longer, lower than before. I'm really happy the way that heavy music is coming back of late. I know i'm not in the worlds toughest band, but with bands like Underoath going #2 on billboard. It gives me somthing to smile about.

What were a few bands that you loved when you were growing up?

operation ivy, nirvana, green day, filth, econochrist, 15, nofx, lagwagon, Bane, backside, assorted jelly beans, chain of strength, GB, youth of today, warzone, hatebreed, throwdown, 18v, adamantium, slapstick, snapcase, one king down, saves the day, get up kids, the vandals hahahahahahahaha Link 80.... that's enough, i've gone through so many phases and learned to appreciate so much.

How soon until we see you guys back out on the road?

We should be out in sept.

You guys had left the major label and now are signed to Fearless. How did you go about getting signed to Fearless?

Bob showed interest as soon as he heard the band was going to be making a record off columbia..we made our demo,sat down with Bob and the Fearless fam and got it all done. It was best decsion the band could have made. I love everyone there. They're a pleasure to work with.

How old were you when you started the band?

If it wasn't for _________, you wouldn't be in the band and doing what your doing

My fiance!

If you could change one thing about yourself what would it be?

My dogs, lola and gus, shitting in my house!

How do you feel about major labels now after being signed to one?

Again, I'm not here to say "they do this worng" or "they do that wrong". Being with major taught me everything I wanted to know about what direction to steer my band. All labels act as outlets to get your music to other people. Some may be better then others. Im happy where I'm at today.

Where do you think you see yourself at in 10 year?

Very happy... Wife , kids , dogs , BBQ's.

Do you have any advice to people wanting to be in a band and play music as a career?

Get Lucky... thats half the battle!

http://www.astaticlullaby.com
http://www.absolutepunk.net/astaticlullaby
http://www.absolutepunk.net/astaticlullaby

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13.
08:51 AM on 07/05/06
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Pretty cool interview, though a lot of it was the same stuff he says in every interview.
08:57 AM on 07/05/06
PEPSI
User Info.
i like the Hang Em High demo on purevolume. I am looking forward to this release.
09:22 AM on 07/05/06
CWeezer
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
that was a really good interview. it answered a lot of questions i had about the band and new members.
10:08 AM on 07/05/06
lightcollapse
on the edge of summer
User Info.
haha, i like this guy
10:31 AM on 07/05/06
HiddenInNJ
User Info.
Quote:
Everyone goes through shit, it's what you choose to do after everything goes wrong that makes the man or woman.

good to see that he wants to look past all the shit they went through... the artwork looks ridiculous
10:40 AM on 07/05/06
__romanceisdead
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
awesome. cant wait for the new album.
10:59 AM on 07/05/06
ARo2431
User Info.
Nice job. Im also looking forward to the new album.
11:38 AM on 07/05/06
Bury Your Head
it aint easy being brown
User Info.
hopefully the album will put ASL on the map again. it was so sad to see how bad faso was recieved, i loved it. and i love the new demos even more
12:32 PM on 07/05/06
shesmiles
User Info.
I love you Joe!!! and Dan! and all the new memebers of ASL...and pantera rocks!! hells ya!!!! RIP DIMEBAG
12:43 PM on 07/05/06
theGrue
is not Tony Brummel.
User Info.
Originally Posted by Bury Your Head
hopefully the album will put ASL on the map again. it was so sad to see how bad faso was recieved, i loved it. and i love the new demos even more
Faso took forever for me to warm up to. I didn't give it a second chance until after I saw them play Half Man; Half Shark at last year's Bamboozle and thought "Oh yeah, there were other good songs on that album than Stand Up!". I'd even love to hear some of it re-done, like a version of Radio Flyer without that 2 minutes of garbage at the end!
03:58 PM on 07/05/06
knibl
riff breakdown solo
User Info.
Originally Posted by theGrue
Faso took forever for me to warm up to. I didn't give it a second chance until after I saw them play Half Man; Half Shark at last year's Bamboozle and thought "Oh yeah, there were other good songs on that album than Stand Up!". I'd even love to hear some of it re-done, like a version of Radio Flyer without that 2 minutes of garbage at the end!

haha yea, i always change the song towards to ending of radio flyer. it's not too good.

but i really liked faso. i was also a huge fan of ADFTB. excited for the new album.

what bad press is he referring to...? i read an interview with phil on interpunk...everything seemed fine.
09:09 PM on 07/05/06
Bury Your Head
it aint easy being brown
User Info.
Originally Posted by knibl
haha yea, i always change the song towards to ending of radio flyer. it's not too good.

but i really liked faso. i was also a huge fan of ADFTB. excited for the new album.

what bad press is he referring to...? i read an interview with phil on interpunk...everything seemed fine.

yeah i always skip to the next song after the last 2 minutes in radio too hahaha
and i am referring to how critics graded it low like alt press saying they sold out
and how the fans were turning away from it cause it was all the way screamo. i think if the songs were re done and much more (i hate using this vague word) "harder" it would be a awesome album. i always thought smooth modulator and half man half shark and a coupple others were sweet like no other :trampolin
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests