AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
A Day to Remember - Homesick Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 7.75
Production 8.25
Creativity 7.25
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 82%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.57
Musicianship 7.68
Lyrics 7.13
Production 7.79
Creativity 7.01
Lasting Value 7.21
Reviewer Tilt 7.74
Average: 74%
Inside AP.net

A Day to Remember - Homesick

Reviewed by: Thomas Nassiff (01/10/10)
A Day to Remember - Homesick
Record Label: Victory Records
Release Date: February 3, 2009

Every once in a while, we music listeners get the privilege to hear a stunningly acute vocalist, or a guitarist that will stop you dead in your tracks with a phenomenal solo. Well, Jeremy McKinnon isn't the best singer/screamer you've ever heard, and (now former) guitarist Tom Denney isn't about to shred you into a coma. What you will get from these guys, who are the masterminds (along with producer Chad Gilbert of New Found Glory) of A Day to Remember's latest album, Homesick, is a record that is honest and entertaining, however dense it may be.

There are a lot of bands that are more precise and talented than A Day to Remember, but not many that have members that can feed off each other to the extent that they can perfectly pull off what they were going for. But that's when things get iffy. Homesick is not an album that will appeal widely to the masses. For existing A Day to Remember fans, this entire record is most likely welcomed with open arms. It's got heavy doses of screams, gang vocals, hardcore guitar riffs and mosh calls. But at the same time, A Day to Remember's bro-core brand of pop-punk has the capacity to turn off even the most diehard fans of the genre. First single "The Downfall of Us All" sure gets the listener psyched for the rest of the album, but unfortunately, with the exceptions of "Have Faith in Me" and "If It Means A Lot to You", the album opener is as good as it gets.

That's the unbiased, writing-for-the-readers part of me writing. Unfortunately, I've got a bit of a soft spot (it's really not that small, that's what she said) for pop-punk. While A Day to Remember's sound isn't "normal" for the genre, as they are at times poppier than most bands and at other times more heavy than most bands, I really liked this album. Yes, Blake Solomon, I actually liked it. Even though its repetitive and it should be listened to when hanging with bros and brews. I even put it in my Top 5 for 2009, which is why I went back to review it. When this album was coming out, I hadn't even actually made an account on this website and I would just read news and reviews, and after reading Blake's bash of a review, I didn't bother picking up the record. One day at Target, I saw it again, sitting there on sale for $7.99, and I picked it up and never looked back. Everything he said about the record is true. It's an exact duplicate of the sound that the band used on their previous releases For Those Who Have Heart and Their Name Was Treason. However, Homesick is where A Day to Remember pulls it all together.

As McKinnon belts out lyrics and throws down mosh calls about life on the road, the album becomes a concept one. The recurring theme is one that a lot of fans don't think much about - that what comes with the glory of being a musician is an actual tough life that involves spending months at a time away from home. McKinnon knows it best, as during the recording of Homesick, which was written on the road, the strains of touring caused the departure of Tom Denney. So, yes, the mosh calls on "I'm Made of Wax, Larry, What Are You Made of?" and "Mr. Highway's Thinking About the End" are enough to make someone nauseous and cause them to despise A Day to Remember. But that person isn't me, and I think that anyone can enjoy tracks like the aforementioned "Have Faith in Me" and "If It Means A Lot to You", along with the title track.

I guess where I'm getting with this review is that you really need to give this album a listen if you haven't. These guys have been a band for a while now, and they aren't changing what they do or how they do it. Homesick is one of my favorite albums of 2009 because it is consistent and fun to listen to, and because "Have Faith in Me" reminds me of summer and its 20 degrees out. So give it a spin, you'll like it or you'll hate it, and maybe you'll love it like I did.

Recommended If You Likepop-punk, moshing, Four Year Strong, moshing

Download These First"The Downfall of Us All", "Mr. Highway's Thinking About the End", "Have Faith in Me", "If It Really Means a Lot to You"

Bare Essentials
1. The Downfall of Us All
2. My Life for Hire
3. I'm Made of Wax, Larry, What Are You Made Of?
4. NJ Legion Iced Tea
5. Mr. Highway's Thinking About the End
6. Have Faith in Me
7. Welcome to the Family
8. Homesick
9. Holdin' It Down for the Underground
10. You Already Know What You Are
11. Another Song About the Weekend
12. If It Means A Lot to You
Producer: Chad Gilbert, Runtime: 40 minutes, 26 seconds

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 44
08:48 PM on 01/10/10
HelloxAlone
stay lucky, stay free
User Info.
I definitely agree with you on Have Faith In Me and If It Means A Lot To You, those were my two favorites. I had little care for the rest of the album.
10:17 PM on 01/10/10
BrendanRivera
User Info.
Dudes.
05:40 AM on 01/11/10
icynova
Love is easier made than kept!
User Info.
Great band. Enjoyable, fun record.. "Downfall" is a killer opening song for a set, and I'm glad they wrote it.

Your review reads like an "also - read" to Blake's review, but in a good way. Where blake's review turned people off to this record, you give it a positive push, and the readers a reason to give it a try. Thanks for taking the time.
07:15 AM on 01/11/10
(penguin)
User Info.
Excellent review man. This site need a non-Blake Solomon take on the record.

I thought it was great you put down your views from both an unbiased reviewer & a fan of music, pop-punk and A Day to Remember. Really puts into perspective what this record's about.
04:04 PM on 01/11/10
cwhit412
User Info.
If It Means A Lot To You needs a live performance. I can't find one. :/
09:09 PM on 01/11/10
cory-182
User Info.
Aoty.
09:11 PM on 01/11/10
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Great band. Enjoyable, fun record.. "Downfall" is a killer opening song for a set, and I'm glad they wrote it.

Your review reads like an "also - read" to Blake's review, but in a good way. Where blake's review turned people off to this record, you give it a positive push, and the readers a reason to give it a try. Thanks for taking the time.
yeah when i saw em live at warped that song was incredible. and yeah i remembered his review and i kinda just wanted to put my own spin on it. i love writing reviews.
09:13 PM on 01/11/10
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
Excellent review man. This site need a non-Blake Solomon take on the record.

I thought it was great you put down your views from both an unbiased reviewer & a fan of music, pop-punk and A Day to Remember. Really puts into perspective what this record's about.
thanks. yeah i try to be unbiased with bands that i really like then put in my own opinion later on, i think it makes it fair for people who want that perspective. if i just push what i like then it doesnt really help anyone but me.
09:13 PM on 01/11/10
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
If It Means A Lot To You needs a live performance. I can't find one. :/
ive never seen one either. if they played that live it would be incredible though.
09:40 PM on 01/11/10
Chris Collum
User Info.
Good review, man. You've done better but this is still solid stuff.
However, I gotta call you out on the lyrics score. I know it's just opinions, but I cannot see a 7 for this album in lyrics. They're pretty bad, imo.
I don't pile hate on this band like some do...but I can't listen to one of their records all the way through. They have some killer songs though.
My favorites from this album are basically the first 4 and the title track. Those are the songs that really work here in my opinion.
I'd prob. give it something in the mid-high 60s.
09:41 PM on 01/11/10
Chris Collum
User Info.
Come on...really?
You're entitled to your opinions, but allow me to strongly disagree.
10:20 PM on 01/11/10
Colinreturn
User Info.
good review. only thing i would disagree with is that this album is different than their 2 previous efforts. its hard to say for this genre, but its definitely more mature. the sound is noticeably different. it may just be the better production but this cd is less punk, more pop, but still the same brocore adtr i love.
10:20 PM on 01/11/10
guitarman2189
User Info.
Your thought on this album are very similar to mine. Its nothing amazing, yet its a fun record to listen to and does remind me of the good things in life.
01:47 AM on 01/12/10
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
Good review, man. You've done better but this is still solid stuff.
However, I gotta call you out on the lyrics score. I know it's just opinions, but I cannot see a 7 for this album in lyrics. They're pretty bad, imo.
I don't pile hate on this band like some do...but I can't listen to one of their records all the way through. They have some killer songs though.
My favorites from this album are basically the first 4 and the title track. Those are the songs that really work here in my opinion.
I'd prob. give it something in the mid-high 60s.
thanks man. i appreciate that you read my reviews, and i really like your feedback on them. i kinda threw together this review in an hour or so when i put it high on my list of albums for 2009. i do agree that my lyrics score is kind of high, but the real reason my rating is at a 76 is because of my user tilt i think.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums