AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Such Gold - Stand Tall EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.25
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 7
Production 7.5
Creativity 6.5
Lasting Value 6.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 72%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 7.75
Production 7.75
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 8.88
Average: 86%
Inside AP.net

Such Gold - Stand Tall EP

Reviewed by: Thomas Nassiff (01/10/10)
Such Gold - Stand Tall EP
Record Label: Mightier Than Sword Records
Release Date: September 22, 2009

It's hard sometimes to predict whether a band will make it big or not. Every once in a while, you'll have a gut feeling about a band and you'll go to all their local shows, then when they make it big it's awesome because you were there from the start. But more often what happens is that bands don't quite get there, or when they do, they sell out for big bucks and major record labels. I'm going to go ahead and bet on Such Gold to strike, um, gold, after hearing their Stand Tall EP. The five-piece pop-punk band from Rochester, New York shows promise with their EP released on Mightier Than Sword Records last September. Stand Tall only has five songs on it, and its total run time clocks in at just over 12 minutes, but the band shows characteristics that point to a successful career ahead.

Opener "Four Superbowls, No Rings" is an accurate taste of the band's sound. Their focus lies in upbeat drums, fast-paced guitar parts, and sing-along/gang vocals, with a pop sensibility that has seemingly come naturally to Such Gold. While some might describe the EP as repetitive, it's hard to get a lot of variety in your first five songs. "What's Left of You" is the best song on Stand Tall, as it shows the band's ability to incorporate catchy guitar hooks with their fist-pumping gang vocals. The last song on the EP, "Stand Tall", is much longer than the others, coming in at over 4 minutes in length, and it guitar-heavy at first before continuing into their now-familiar pop-punk onslaught.

So I'm backing Such Gold now; I bought a physical copy of the EP to support these guys because bands that have a chance shouldn't have it shut down because of lack of funds. If anyone else hears the tracks on their Myspace and likes them, I encourage them to do the same and pick up the physical EP.

Recommended If You Likepop-punk, Set Your Goals, New Found Glory, Four Year Strong

Bare Essentials
1. Four Superbowls, No Rings
2. You Always Know What's Best
3. What's Left of You
4. The Greatest Comeback of All Time
5. Stand Tall
myspace.com/suchgold

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 26
12:14 AM on 01/11/10
SKYSCRAPERS
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I back this band so hard and I hope they explode. It looks to me like they're on their way.

I don't agree that some people might describe the album as repetitive, though. All of the songs have their own identity. Is it because all of the songs are played on a guitar?

Either way, more people need to listen to Such Gold.
Legit, super nice, hardworking dudes.
05:30 AM on 01/11/10
*Ro'
www.playitloudfuckers.com
User Info.
'What's left of you' is a hit!
06:43 AM on 01/11/10
Jacktheskipper
Coffeebreath & Heartache
User Info.
Awesome EP ... enough said!
06:38 PM on 01/11/10
more heart
Get Hurt
User Info.
Love these dudes so much. They deserve any success they get.
09:10 PM on 01/11/10
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
I back this band so hard and I hope they explode. It looks to me like they're on their way.

I don't agree that some people might describe the album as repetitive, though. All of the songs have their own identity. Is it because all of the songs are played on a guitar?

Either way, more people need to listen to Such Gold.
Legit, super nice, hardworking dudes.
well i mean most songs are on guitars these days lol. their style is repetitive to me. i think they'll find their way eventually.
10:02 PM on 01/11/10
Battle Hymns
Get up! Get up!
User Info.
I just found this yesterday at the record store for $5. Popped it in and loved it instantly.
01:49 AM on 01/12/10
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
I just found this yesterday at the record store for $5. Popped it in and loved it instantly.
haha good stuff. theyre a great pop-punk band, im hoping to hear more from them soon.
06:16 AM on 01/12/10
-ben
Finally here.
User Info.
great EP
07:49 AM on 01/12/10
John Collins
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
got on vinyl.+ played with them, loveddd it
04:48 PM on 01/12/10
matty315
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
band rules, all of their Watertown shows are a blast. They also cover both Saves The Day- You Vandal and Snapcase- Energy Dome
05:26 PM on 01/12/10
CountMeOut923
Registered Member
User Info.
Saw them live and they were awesome.This is a great EP, can't wait for an actual full length.
09:17 PM on 01/12/10
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
I wouldn't RIYL Four Year Strong. This band's actually good.
09:26 PM on 01/12/10
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
I wouldn't RIYL Four Year Strong. This band's actually good.
blasphemy. four year strong is good too. who would you RIYL? i had trouble with it.
09:27 PM on 01/12/10
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
Saw them live and they were awesome.This is a great EP, can't wait for an actual full length.
i wanted to see them live. they passed right by gainesville without doing a show. they even had an off day -_-
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums