Username
Password

Album Review

Vampire Weekend - Contra Album Cover

Vampire Weekend - Contra

Reviewed by
Vampire Weekend - Contra
Record Label: XL Recordings
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Release Date: January 12th, 2010

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 24
08:30 PM on 01/12/10
Argentine
When I die, rap dies; Destiny Bond.
User Info.
First!
very good descriptions of the music and good review.
10:00 PM on 01/12/10
Matt Chylak
contextblues.wordpress.co m
User Info.
hate the last paragraph. just sayin
11:22 PM on 01/12/10
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
hate the last paragraph. just sayin
sorry?
10:42 AM on 01/13/10
Matt Chylak
User Info.
everything else is great
10:44 AM on 01/13/10
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
everything else is great
haha well thanks!
12:30 PM on 01/13/10
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
Matt Chylak wrote this, so don't take his words too personally. For the love of the flying spaghetti monster, keep submitting stuff like this. I'm begging you.
07:19 AM on 01/14/10
fobmcrafi6
down with the fad
User Info.
IMHO their debut was much better, maybe it s because i do love the fast beat stuff rather than the MGMT impersonation here. Other than Cousins there s one other song that all right but I can't imagine picking the C D up. Sorry but this indie Blow up band has lost all it s air and is descending back down.
04:48 PM on 01/14/10
Matt Chylak
User Info.
Matt Chylak wrote this, so don't take his words too personally. For the love of the flying spaghetti monster, keep submitting stuff like this. I'm begging you.

And you wrote this. Get off your high horse, prick.
07:40 PM on 01/14/10
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
And you wrote this. Get off your high horse, prick.
I don't want to propagate a six-month-old argument, but I thought I expressed my point very clearly and provided support for it. Perhaps it takes someone on a high horse to expect some logic behind people's behavior, or at least to comment on it when it doesn't exist. What I didn't do is praise a record whose creation reflects contempt for the record buying public. I imagine its makers in a room chortling about how making this joke record would make them piles of cash because the populace is too stupid to know any better. And they ended up being right. Now they're laughing all the way to the bank.
07:54 PM on 01/14/10
Matt Chylak
User Info.
I don't want to propagate a six-month-old argument, but I thought I expressed my point very clearly and provided support for it. Perhaps it takes someone on a high horse to expect some logic behind people's behavior, or at least to comment on it when it doesn't exist. What I didn't do is praise a record whose creation reflects contempt for the record buying public. I imagine its makers in a room chortling about how making this joke record would make them piles of cash because the populace is too stupid to know any better. And they ended up being right. Now they're laughing all the way to the bank.
Be realistic. It's radio-friendly pop music, and the radio's current format elevates nursery rhyme melodies and bad sexual metaphors to twice-an-hour play status for three months at a time. Ke$ha's record does that better than most of her contemporaries, so she deserves the praise. You might disagree with a review I wrote up on a whim, but don't let your ridiculous dismissal of "contempt for the record-buying public" get in the way of the truth: pop music is a digital single world, regardless of the number of times AP puts Brand New, Vampire Weekend, Paramore, or fun. on the home page.
08:18 PM on 01/14/10
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
If Ke$ha deserves praise, I'd be curious to know what doesn't. And I stand by the contempt part. The record label execs and the artists themselves aren't stupid. They know what they're doing isn't legitimate. They're seizing an opportunity to hop on a trend. To say that "here's something that we can't really stand behind, don't have our hearts in, and probably will be ashamed to say we made years down the road, but we're putting it out here cause we know you'll buy it," that shows contempt.
02:20 PM on 01/15/10
keeplioving
sell my old clothes
User Info.
Be realistic. It's radio-friendly pop music, and the radio's current format elevates nursery rhyme melodies and bad sexual metaphors to twice-an-hour play status for three months at a time. Ke$ha's record does that better than most of her contemporaries, so she deserves the praise. You might disagree with a review I wrote up on a whim, but don't let your ridiculous dismissal of "contempt for the record-buying public" get in the way of the truth: pop music is a digital single world, regardless of the number of times AP puts Brand New, Vampire Weekend, Paramore, or fun. on the home page.
just because she was able to cash in on this current trend in no way makes her deserving of any praise...
07:59 PM on 01/18/10
Matt Chylak
User Info.
just because she was able to cash in on this current trend in no way makes her deserving of any praise...

I praised her because she did a better job at making radio-friendly pop music (or, as your prefer to call it, cashing in on the current trend) than most wannabe pop divas. It's a challenge to write something so catchy that people will forget they're singing the stupidest words ever put together into a sentence.

And Jeremy, what doesn't deserve praise are the thousands of MySpacers trying to cash in on the trends and failing. I'm not elevating Ke$ha to the same pedestal that some of my favorite bands, who write "honest" music, but I'm giving credit where credit is due.

Furthermore, I think there's plenty of bands on this site that get praise by cashing in on the "indie" trends or the "scene" trends (the Summer Set comes to mind quickly).
10:04 PM on 01/18/10
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.

Will do Jeremy

IMHO their debut was much better, maybe it s because i do love the fast beat stuff rather than the MGMT impersonation here. Other than Cousins there s one other song that all right but I can't imagine picking the C D up. Sorry but this indie Blow up band has lost all it s air and is descending back down.

I will respectively have to disagree with you.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos