AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Lostprophets - The Betrayed Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 7.5
Production 9.5
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 84%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.19
Musicianship 7.83
Lyrics 7.56
Production 7.67
Creativity 7.53
Lasting Value 7.81
Reviewer Tilt 8.03
Average: 78%
Inside AP.net

Lostprophets - The Betrayed

Reviewed by: Jared George (01/15/10)
Lostprophets - The Betrayed
Record Label: Visible Noise
Release Date: January 13, 2009

Any Lostprophet fan can agree with me, we've had to wait a long time for our next fix from this Welsh band. While many people have been hoping for the best but expecting the worst from Lostprophets latest LP, The Betrayed, after listening to it I can confirm one thing. The Betrayed is a great CD, but if you're stuck on what Lostprophets used to be, you may not enjoy it.

While songs like "Dstryr and Dstryr" and "Next Stop Atro City" feel like throwbacks to Start Something, songs such as "A Better Nothing", "Streets of Nowhere", and "Darkest Blue" feel like a progression from Liberation Transmission. The songs are very catchy, enough to make some of the Fake Sound of Progress and Start Something fans sick to their stomachs most likely. What did you expect after hearing "Where We Belong"?

With that being said, I love all of it. The opener "If It Wasn't for Hate We'd Be Dead by Now" shows us what to expect from most of the CD: amazing drums, and solid vocals. As mentioned in the outset, "Dstryr and Dstryr" and "Next Stop Atro City" are heavy songs, reminiscent of Start Something. Recognizable in these songs is a large amount of gang vocals, which seem to be favored by Lostprophets. Parts of the songs feature sections that will undoubtedly be a hit at any Lostprophets concert because they would be truly great for moshing. For proof of the great drumming, listen to "Next Stop Atro City". That should convince you.

Next is the two singles of the album, "It's Not the End of the World but I Can See It From Here" and "Where We Belong". While initially I disliked the first single ("It's Not the End of the World...") it's grown on me, and although there are only slight differences between the radio edit and the album version, I appreciate the album version much more. "Where We Belong" is undeniably catchy, and will no doubt get a lot of radio play.

The highlight of the album for me is "A Better Nothing" and "The Light That Burns Twice As Bright". "A Better Nothing" sounds incredibly unique, and I have trouble comparing it to anything Lostprophets have done before. "The Light That Burns Twice As Bright" feels like a collection of Lostprophets interludes mixed with vocals. It has some huge moments and it made me want to sit back and just listen.

While I like "Darkest Blue", I can still realize that it sounds like a filler track. It doesn't take away from the album, but it doesn't add too much either.

"For He's a Jolly Good Felon" sounds familiar, and is almost comparable to "A Town Called Hypocricy" from Liberation Transmission. That in itself brings up what could be considered a flaw of The Betrayed. Many of the songs sound like Lostprophets older work, just slightly revitalized. For example, "Dstryr and Dstryr" sounds very similar to "Burn Burn" from Start Something. Again, all these songs sound great, but don't be surprised if you listen to the songs and say "Hey, that sounds familiar." Along those lines, Lostprophets have added interludes back into their songs which, for the most part, I enjoyed.

As mentioned in the outset, if you're stuck on one CD of Lostprophets such as FSOP or SS, and you wanted them to do something almost exactly the same, then you might not be too pleased. That being said, there will still be some songs that you'll enjoy from The Betrayed. It's a varied CD, and none of the songs on the CD can really be compared to each other. If you've enjoyed Lostprophets body of work as a whole, then you'll most likely love this CD like I do.

Recommended If You LikeAlternative Rock; The Blackout; Story of the Year; Lostprophets - Liberation Transmission, Start Something

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 19
12:44 PM on 01/21/10
J.Hearne
Is This It
User Info.
RIYL: Linkin Park, really? good review but you didnt say anything about the last track which is probably the best. in my opinion this is thier best album and is officially now my favourite record.
02:22 PM on 01/21/10
Dystroxia
We found love in a hopeless place
User Info.
I agree with Linkin Park, but nevertheless a well-written review.

Good job
08:52 PM on 01/21/10
NateFoundGlory
Why do you stay till you see blood?
User Info.
I want this so hard, and as one who actually (really) liked Libteration Transmition, I'm even more stoked.
08:06 AM on 01/22/10
Full Effect Ed
Nonstop Disco Powerpack
User Info.
This album sounds nothing like Start Something, otherwise I dug the review itself
08:09 AM on 01/22/10
Memphis
Eight miles high and falling fast
User Info.
good review, I agree with what's been said, except I'm a little bit more excited about it, "Where We Belong" is their best song since "Last Train Home", but somehow, I seem to enjoy the second half little more, "Sunshine" is definitely the highlight. It's great that they accomplished to sound like on the older albums and evolve at the same time, this album is NOT a step back, it's the real sound of progress... (okay, I used a citation here :-D)
09:15 AM on 01/22/10
gr33ndayfr3ak
www.nickferran.com
User Info.
good review, I agree with what's been said, except I'm a little bit more excited about it, "Where We Belong" is their best song since "Last Train Home", but somehow, I seem to enjoy the second half little more, "Sunshine" is definitely the highlight. It's great that they accomplished to sound like on the older albums and evolve at the same time, this album is NOT a step back, it's the real sound of progress... (okay, I used a citation here :-D)

I agree with all of this, especially the bolded part.
12:27 PM on 01/22/10
makeasound
start appreciating yourself
User Info.
If you've enjoyed Lostprophets body of work as a whole, then you'll most likely love this CD like I do.
I agree with this completely. And as someone who loves their entire catalog, I think The Betrayed is a phenomenal album.

Not sure I agree with the RIYL of Linkin Park, I don't hear any of their albums in The Betrayed.
02:13 PM on 01/22/10
HelloxAlone
stay lucky, stay free
User Info.
I actually really liked this album, I'm glad that the actual album had better songs than "It's Not The End of the World..".
Good review!
10:13 AM on 01/25/10
Shinobi1791
HAPPY HOLIDAYS, YOU BASTARDS!
User Info.
Love the album. Listened to it loads already. Ian's lyric writing has really improved loads in my opinion. First track kicks off with thumping drums and sets the tone for the album. Dstryr is one of my highlights of the album, awesome riffage going on, the heaviest song to be heard by Lostprophets since Start Something until Track 5...The 2 singles sound better to me on record, which gives me the impression this is more of a traditional album than a bunch of tracks thrown a CD and called an album, the re-introduction of interludes may have also given me that impression by linking the songs together. Bit disappointed with Atro City (mainly because I hyped it too much after hearing it live back in 08) but it's still a brilliant track, vocals aren't that great (sorry Ian) but the instrumentation makes up for it. Such a range of musical styles on the album, which is something I like as a lover of all styles of music and not just a Punk or Metal fan. Felon has got an amazing riff, also..."Mikey, where'd you get the nikes?" haha, love it. A Better Nothing is another good track, really good lyrics. Streets of Nowhere should definitely be the next single as it's easily the catchiest song on the record and won't have to be heavily butchered for radio like Where We Belong as it's quite a short track anyway. Dirty Litte Heart...now i'm not a big fan of love songs/ballads (whatever you want to call it) but I really like this track. Darkest Blue, awesome intro riff, really catch chorus, another potential single especially as many fans have called for it to be a single. The Light...is probably the best song they've ever written, even if you don't like the band i'd recommend downloading this as it's a really good track.
02:59 PM on 01/29/10
Jared George
User Info.
Obviously I made a mistake with the RIYL Linkin Park :P Changed it to the Blackout who I just discovered and Story of the Year. Makes more sense to me.
11:01 AM on 02/20/10
Betrayal Five
Betrayal Five
User Info.
Love the album. Listened to it loads already. Ian's lyric writing has really improved loads in my opinion. First track kicks off with thumping drums and sets the tone for the album. Dstryr is one of my highlights of the album, awesome riffage going on, the heaviest song to be heard by Lostprophets since Start Something until Track 5...The 2 singles sound better to me on record, which gives me the impression this is more of a traditional album than a bunch of tracks thrown a CD and called an album, the re-introduction of interludes may have also given me that impression by linking the songs together. Bit disappointed with Atro City (mainly because I hyped it too much after hearing it live back in 08) but it's still a brilliant track, vocals aren't that great (sorry Ian) but the instrumentation makes up for it. Such a range of musical styles on the album, which is something I like as a lover of all styles of music and not just a Punk or Metal fan. Felon has got an amazing riff, also..."Mikey, where'd you get the nikes?" haha, love it. A Better Nothing is another good track, really good lyrics. Streets of Nowhere should definitely be the next single as it's easily the catchiest song on the record and won't have to be heavily butchered for radio like Where We Belong as it's quite a short track anyway. Dirty Litte Heart...now i'm not a big fan of love songs/ballads (whatever you want to call it) but I really like this track. Darkest Blue, awesome intro riff, really catch chorus, another potential single especially as many fans have called for it to be a single. The Light...is probably the best song they've ever written, even if you don't like the band i'd recommend downloading this as it's a really good track.
I agree with your review. I'm upset that they're not getting any play in the U.S. though. I really think "Where We Belong" could be a potential hit for them but they're getting no love in the U.S. The guitars and drums are so badass on this record, they work very well together.
04:54 AM on 02/21/10
Shinobi1791
HAPPY HOLIDAYS, YOU BASTARDS!
User Info.
They have no record label in the US at the moment hence the lack of airplay. They're still working on something to get stuff released over there.
06:19 PM on 02/27/10
VeryWittyName
User Info.
It's honestly ridiculous how much I love this album, it's been a month and a half and I'm still constantly listening to it. They were great at the Brixton Academy too =)
12:57 PM on 03/19/10
SteezyDeezy
Steezy Deezy >:D
User Info.
It's funny you mention how dedicated Lostprophets fans will relate some songs from this album to songs from older albums. That's EXACTLY what I did when I first heard it. Nevertheless, this album is STILL amazing. Lostprophets never ceases to amaze me. I loved this album just like I loved all their others. They're my favorite band, and I'm glad they're not going in the shithole like most good bands are nowadays (like Green Day and Rise Against). This was a great review.
Options
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests