Username
Password

Album Review

Alkaline Trio - This Addiction Album Cover

Alkaline Trio - This Addiction

Reviewed by
Alkaline TrioThis Addiction
Release Date: February 23, 2010
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Record Label: Epitaph

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 145
01:42 AM on 01/27/10
Paulb-182
opentofire.bandcamp.com
User Info.
It always disappoints me when I see bands going back to old sounds after a while to try and get their old fans back. There are so many of my old favourites who I can't stand to listen to now. Alkaline Trio are one of them. I will eventually check this out, but I'm not holding my breath for greatness.
01:47 AM on 01/27/10
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
I enjoy this album. It's very simple and effective. "Fine" is one of the best songs they have ever written and "The American Scream" seems to be stuck in my head more than any other song lately.
05:17 AM on 01/27/10
ilovesofie
was I good to you, wife of my youth
User Info.
I'm gonna check the album tonight. Out of all the albums they've released, I love Crimson & Good Mourning the most, so i'm curious. Anyway, well written review man!
06:17 AM on 01/27/10
HogarthHughes
Paint the Streets in White
User Info.
Great review, though I personally would have rated it higher. You make many fair points though, especially about a couple of Skiba's songs being a bit weak. That said, Skiba at his weakest is better than most bands at their best.
06:33 AM on 01/27/10
adumb
User Info.
As a long time Trio fan, I'm really pleased with this record. I don't really see it as a cheap harkening back to the old days as some have mentioned (this review not included). It seems that so many bands often create a rawer follow-up to a glossier album (MxPx instantly comes to mind with Panic after Before Everything & After).

Either way, with the possible exception of Agony & Irony, these guys have had songs on every record that sounded like their earlier stuff. They just seemed to try new things in between those older sounding songs. Crimson is a good example of this. There were classic Trio sounding songs like "Dethbed," "Back to Hell," and "The Poison" with other songs like "Burn" and "Smoke" going for something a bit different. "Sadie" was more of a blending of the old with the new.

On This Addiction, one of the only songs I'm not thrilled about is "Fine." I'm not sure I've ever heard such a delicate and studio glossed track by this band.
06:35 AM on 01/27/10
EchoPark
promesas son sombras
User Info.
Why didn't Fallon write the review for this one? This is rated criminally low.

My Dinosaur Life higher than this? You've gotta be kidding pal
06:35 AM on 01/27/10
adumb
User Info.
By the way, I'm looking forward to hearing the two bonus tracks ("Kick Rocks" and "Those Lungs") from the deluxe edition of the album. Hopefully at least one of those tracks will be a Dan song.
06:43 AM on 01/27/10
adumb
User Info.

Agreed. I used to LOVE Motion City Soundtrack but I just can't get into My Dinosaur Life no matter how hard I try. The only tracks that stick for mer are "Worker Bee" and "Her Words Destroyed My Planet."

I'm going to give it a few more spins. Perhaps when the weather gets a bit warmer.
06:43 AM on 01/27/10
circasurviver
Sammy Davis Jesus
User Info.
"Sometimes the problem with “throwback” albums is the listeners’ tendency to just listen to earlier work. I mean, what’s going to stop you from turning this off and putting on From Here To Infirmary? Personally, the growth in musicianship from that album to This Addiction is staggering and should keep listeners interested. And while some of Skiba’s weakest material shows up here, Andriano really shines and picks up some of the slack. "

Ha Ha That's what I did, I listened to this 3 or 4 times but now I've gone back have been listening too Infirmary and Remains all week. I love all AT albums, but I was really enjoying the progression on Crimson & Agony, this just seem like a step backwards. I agree that Dan has really out shined Matt on this album and their last one. Oh well I still enjoy it, any Alkaline Trio album is better than no Alkaline Trio album. Oh, and I can't freaking wait to see them and Cursive in a few short weeks.
06:47 AM on 01/27/10
McIrish
Liver Alone
User Info.
I enjoy this album. It's very simple and effective. "Fine" is one of the best songs they have ever written and "The American Scream" seems to be stuck in my head more than any other song lately.
I was expecting a review from you, since this is more your area.

No offense, Drew. Good Review.
06:48 AM on 01/27/10
circasurviver
Sammy Davis Jesus
User Info.

Well I like My Dinosaur Life better, and this is coming from a huge Alkaline Trio fan who doesn't really care for MCS.
06:50 AM on 01/27/10
Jamais_vu
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Goddamnit! is the best Alk3 record hands down. This doesn't sound like that. I wish Skiba could get his voice back from that time. It's too messed up from the shit he's done.
07:02 AM on 01/27/10
Kill_the_radio
Don't wait too long to come home
User Info.
I think that Dan has surpassed Matt's writing skills for these last trio albums...
07:06 AM on 01/27/10
live4music
Digitally Bathing
User Info.
Makes me sad to see such a low score. It's been so long since I've been excited about something they've done.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos