AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

05:50 PM on 01/30/10 
User Info.
fieldbelow
chicago and portland
Female - 24 Years Old
I'm currently an undergrad at a four year college, woohoo English majors, and I've recently thought about attending culinary school for the past year (patisserie and baking) but I don't know much about it. I've done a little research online for some schools (CIA, Le Cordon Bleu programs) but I still don't really have a feel for it. I've still got some time to think about it, but I was just wondering if anyone out there has attended, is attending, or is planning to attend culinary school. Any words of advice? Stories? Thanks!
06:21 PM on 01/30/10 
User Info.
Hannah_
No Avatar Selected
Dublin, Ireland.
Female - 23 Years Old
My college in Dublin, Ireland is the culinary arts school, as well as tourism and events. They have Patisserie courses I'm pretty sure.
Only one in Ireland.
www.dit.ie
02:58 PM on 02/01/10 
User Info.
fieldbelow
chicago and portland
Female - 24 Years Old
It looks really nice. What are you studying there? I never thought of going out of the country for me, but that's sounding like a really cool idea.
10:18 PM on 02/01/10 
User Info.
RJet
Salt Lake City
Male - 25 Years Old
If you've got the heart for culinary then do it! though I don't think there is a lot of money in the field itself.
04:04 AM on 02/02/10 
User Info.
KidRobot
Redemption.
NEW JERSEY
Male - 24 Years Old
If you've got the heart for culinary then do it! though I don't think there is a lot of money in the field itself.

Uh.

Pretty sure people need to eat.
07:05 AM on 02/02/10 
User Info.
Michifoxx
And when it hits you, be ready
Florida.
Female - 21 Years Old
Ive been kinda thinking aboit this as well...not sure if id actually go through with it though.
04:40 PM on 02/03/10 
User Info.
fieldbelow
chicago and portland
Female - 24 Years Old
Ive been kinda thinking aboit this as well...not sure if id actually go through with it though.

Really? Yeah, it kind of is a leap of faith for me...I don't know many, if any actually, who have gone through culinary school.

Uh.

Pretty sure people need to eat.

Haha, this is my argument to most people. I think if it all works out, the goal for me is to be able to open my own place. But that's years down the road assuming culinary school becomes a reality.
04:43 PM on 02/03/10 
User Info.
Michifoxx
And when it hits you, be ready
Florida.
Female - 21 Years Old
Really? Yeah, it kind of is a leap of faith for me...I don't know many, if any actually, who have gone through culinary school.

Haha, this is my argument to most people. I think if it all works out, the goal for me is to be able to open my own place. But that's years down the road assuming culinary school becomes a reality.

Yea its kinda like you cook a really good meal and you think hey, maybe i can do this. I'll be a chef. But then you actually think about it..and its like nahhh.
05:09 PM on 02/03/10 
User Info.
KidRobot
Redemption.
NEW JERSEY
Male - 24 Years Old

Not quite culinary school but my brother in law has been a chef at Friday's since he was 18 and went to school for hotel and restaurant management. Now he is now the executive chef and owns 60% of a pretty upscale place in Jersey City and makes quite a bit. It seems like he went a much less risky, but similar path to what you're suggesting.
05:00 PM on 02/09/10 
User Info.
mike25
APWP Transitional Champ!
center barnstead, nh
Male - 25 Years Old
I started at Le Cordon Bleu in Boston at the beggining of January. Its kind of hectic at the moment due to them changing the way they're doing the schedule but i hear good things about the other ones. So far its been pretty easy, the one i go to has a block system where you have a class or two for three weeks straight, from 7- 12, 5 day a week, for 12 months straight then a 3 month externship. I wouldn't reccomend it if you heart isn't fully in it. I breezed through the first Culinary class but some people have taken it 2-3 times, but they're clearly there for the wrong reason. Also it is quite expensive, I'm paying $38,000 but that includes all you books, your knives, and your uniform. The people i go to school with are quite diverse, Ranges from ages and ethnicitys, people who have worked in the industry for 20+ to people who wanted to change jobs. It's what I'm truely passionate about so i think the money and intense schedule will be worth it.
09:01 PM on 02/10/10 
User Info.
bstthngunvrhd7
I trip over everything you say....
Crook County, IL
Female - 28 Years Old
A friend of mine started out at C.H.I.C. in Chicago (before I met him) and he decided it wasn't for him part of the way through and because he had to pay the entire year up front, he was not able to get his money back. So if you are unsure of if you want to be there the entire year, make sure that you know what the refund policy is because he is paying for an education he never got.

p.s. and yes I do realize that it is something he should have looked into before doing it....
01:40 PM on 02/11/10 
User Info.
suchatragedyx
Mischief Managed.
West Hollywood, CA
Female
I love to cook and bake, and I'd love to be a pastry chef, only thing is I'm a super dedicated vegan, and I feel like the only way I could get a proper education in the field would be to sacrifice my ethics. Would there be any way to avoid that while attending a cooking school?
05:38 PM on 02/13/10 
User Info.
fieldbelow
chicago and portland
Female - 24 Years Old
I started at Le Cordon Bleu in Boston at the beggining of January. Its kind of hectic at the moment due to them changing the way they're doing the schedule but i hear good things about the other ones. So far its been pretty easy, the one i go to has a block system where you have a class or two for three weeks straight, from 7- 12, 5 day a week, for 12 months straight then a 3 month externship. I wouldn't reccomend it if you heart isn't fully in it. I breezed through the first Culinary class but some people have taken it 2-3 times, but they're clearly there for the wrong reason. Also it is quite expensive, I'm paying $38,000 but that includes all you books, your knives, and your uniform. The people i go to school with are quite diverse, Ranges from ages and ethnicitys, people who have worked in the industry for 20+ to people who wanted to change jobs. It's what I'm truely passionate about so i think the money and intense schedule will be worth it.

This was really helpful. Thanks! And you're liking it so far? You're not doing baking though, right?
04:33 PM on 02/14/10 
User Info.
mike25
APWP Transitional Champ!
center barnstead, nh
Male - 25 Years Old
This was really helpful. Thanks! And you're liking it so far? You're not doing baking though, right?

I'm going for an AOS in Culinary arts but I'm required to take Intro to Baking and Adv Baking, which im happy about. I start my second cooking class tomorrow!
06:09 PM on 02/22/10 
User Info.
anon4321
No Avatar Selected
Male - 24 Years Old
Culinary is a great way to go if you can cope with all the stress.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos