AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: New Enemy, The - 02.01.10

The New Enemy - 02.01.10

Interviewed by
The New Enemy - 02.01.10The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

The New Enemy [MYSPACE]

1. How did you get your band name?
The New Enemy is: Big business (aka "The Man"), small business, our own governments, foreign governments, democracy, communism, epidemics... It's a really modular name that applies to so many different things that we are exposed to at any given time on any given day... and it's always different and always changing. It's very much about a culture of fear that we are so over exposed today. We all dug it and it stuck.

2. How did this band get started?
Luke, Clint and I are all very close friends and have been since high school. Luke and Clint started the band (Then known as "Pets or Meat" - a take on a scene from the Michael Moore film "Roger and Me") as more of a party band/fun side project to do during holidays and breaks. They'd be playing in basements and parties with shitty gear and not knowing what they were playing half the time or how the songs went or what the lyrics were. It was more of a laugh more than anything else. The original bass player was too far away to jam one time, so I stepped in for one of the jams because I could play (a little) and it was a blast. I was hooked.

We ended up going to a nice rehearsal space with good gear and started getting more and more serious with writing songs and it started to take flight after that. We were proud of the material that we were writing and felt that we should record it. Luke approached Simon Head, who had worked with a number of really good punk bands that we're into and he offered to record our first EP, "Outsourced". We auditioned a few drummers and unanimously decided on Chris as The New Enemy's, new drummer. First off, he's a great guy and fit in perfectly—warped sense of humour and all. Secondly, he's a sick drummer and really made a huge difference from the first time was played with him. We weren't too sure how far we would take things, but the response to the first EP was overwhelming. We receive radio play from one of the largest rock radio stations in the world (102.1 The Edge), before we even played our first show. Here we are today, we've written two very well received EPs in a year and a half, played with amazing bands that we grew up listening to, and are working on writing our third recording -- either another EP or full-length... we haven't decided yet. It makes it all the more enjoyable when you do things yourself, as well.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
The Clash, NOFX, Rancid, Lagwagon, Pennywise, Fugazi, The Ramones, Minor Threat, Bad Brains, SNFU, Propaghandi, Kid Dynamite, Face to Face, Refused...

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
I think if we could tour with any of the above mentioned bands we would consider ourselves pretty lucky. I think going on tour with a well heeled band that has done countless tours—you can learn so much about the ins and outs of being on the road, how to improve your on-stage performances and clearly, hearing them play every night their musicianship is bound to rub off on you.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
I were a furry animal, I would be a rabbit. You would come over to pet me because I'm a soft furry animal and I look like I would be nice to pet. I would then bite you because this question sucks and you should be bitten for asking it.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
For people that like hardcore punk, there are elements of that in our music. People that like skate punk, there are elements of that there. If people like rock, there are elements of that to. Without sounding schizophrenic or unfocused, it has a mix of pretty well every style of punk with some rock elements added into the mix and is very much different from song to song, but has a very distinct and unmistakable "New Enemy" sound to it. Clint has some of the best punk rock vocals going and it really makes us as a band.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
I think the song "Thin Skull Rule" off our latest EP, "Shakedown" would be a fun song to play. Its probably little bit "riffier" then the other songs and it's got some off-time tempo changes and other cool parts in it. It would probably come in somewhere in the middle in terms of a degree of difficulty to be five-star expert on this song.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
My parents, all my brothers and sisters, especially Janet. I am so proud of her, it's incredible. I mean, I remember when we were little, I used to ask her to be Ginger Rogers, while I was Fred Astaire..... The Motown family, my teacher Berry Gordy. Diana Ross, I love you. Suzanne De Pazze. The wonderful, great Quincy Jones. Teddy Riley. My new godson Michael Gibb. My new Sony family, Akio Morita, Mickey Schulhoff, Tommy Motola, Dave Glew, Polly Anthony ...Thanks for making one of my most creative efforts, the album Shakedown, such an incredible success. I love you all so much. Sandy Gallin, Jim Morey. All the fantastic fans around the world, I love you very much.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Clearly, being able to make SOME money from records would be a nice thing. A lot of bands are breaking up just because it is too expensive to continue going on the way they are going. The industry is going through a paradigm shift at the moment and hopefully a universal format comes from all this that allows artists to make money from their recordings. Maybe all recordings will be free and shows will become more and more expensive. Maybe merch becomes more and more expensive. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out. In the mean time, as bandwidth speeds increase we can sit back and watch the movie industry go through the same things as the music industry has. It's already started.

10. Memorable tour experience?
We were coming home from a show in Montreal, Luke was driving with the cruise control on way above the speed limit, passing people on the shoulder, doing whatever he could to not touch the brakes, in order to keep the cruise control going. There were a number of phone calls made to the police about a bunch of guys running people off the road. We get pulled over, and this fat old mustached cop comes running up, hand on his gun. We're in a rental that Chris had paid for, and Luke wasn't on the insurance. So the cop says both Luke and Chris are getting five thousand dollar fines for no insurance, plus thousands more in speeding and wreckless driving charges. Everyone shits a brick. Then the cop starts searching around for drugs. Everyone shits a second brick. A couple of the guys had stuff, but he somehow doesn't find anything. So the cop says that Chris has to take over driving, but he has to do a breathalizer test first. We'd been on a bender the night before, so Chris blows .01 below the legal limit.. the day after. Just makes it. Turns out the cop has a hockey stick in the back of his cruiser, so Chris starts talking to him about hockey. The cop gets all buddy-buddy, and before long he's dropped all the charges except for a $90 fine, and we're on our way home...with the cruise control turned off.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
AP.net is probably one of the very best punk rock news sites on the net and we are happy to be interviewed by you folks. A privilege. I've been reading this site for years, as have the other guys.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
I truly enjoy playing all the songs in our set, but if I was to pick one would have to say "The Way". It's more of a midtempo song and there are lots of parts in the song that allow you to move and jump around a lot more because there are some gaps where you're not playing. Plus it's got a great groove and its nice and heavy.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
I could probably name off a few -- mostly of the tropical destinations, but I'm going to give a nod to Northern Ontario. It's really nice to be able to enjoy your own country and use that as a vacation spot. It's one of the most tranquil, peaceful and beautiful areas in the world... in the summer.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
I think we all went through some phases in high-school, but when we first got into punk rock NOFX pretty well nonstop on most of our stereos. There are lots of other bands, like the bands I named before when we were asked about our influences, but for some reason NOFX really struck a chord with all of us in high school and got us stoked on punk rock.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
I think if I could have any super power, it would have to be being able to fly. Flight is such an amazing sensation and being able to do without the aid of a plane to be pretty awesome feeling.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
While we're very proud of our achievements in such a short period of time, in our minds we have not "made it". We're hungry to write music that pushes the envelope of the genre, music that pushes our talent levels, and music that we hope people continue to like and "get".

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I invented the Slap-Chop.

18. What's your favorite holiday?
All of them. Any one where I can drink and eat too much, I like.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Knit.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Multiple orgasms. I'm so blessed. Don't be jealous.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests