AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

The Wiley One - 02.02.10

Interviewed by
The Wiley One - 02.02.10The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

The Wiley One

1. How did you get your band name? The actual meaning of WILEY comes from the word “Wile” which is defined as stratagem, trickery, and cunning, to beguile or to entice. I like to think of it as being a Wiley Person through the use of Art and Music. Hence, The WILEY One.

2. How did this band get started?
I (The No. 7 Kid - Lead Singer/Guiarist) first met Jay of the Funk (Basist/Vocalist) at an open mic hot spot in our early college years and we had an instant musical connection. I knew right then and there we would be creating and performing music together for a long time. After we started receiving praise and recognition we added CTX from the Hip-Hop group "Identity Crisis" as our drummer/percussionist. We also included our good friend and vocal percussionist/beat boxer "MC Criterion" to perform with us live and on the new record. From then on we were off running and riffing!

3. What bands are you influenced by?
There are so many to name but our music would fall in the same genres as Sublime, G Love & Special Sauce, Jack Johnson, Jason Mraz, Bob Marley, Beastie Boys, an assorted amount of hip-hop, funk, jazz and blues.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
Wow! For the past I think we would tour with Bob Marley, who I feel is one of the greatest songwriters of all time. In the present day I personally would love to tour with the Beastie Boys because they have been through it all, pushing 40 and still rolling! I think we could learn a lot from them. We would also love to tour with The Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Roots, The Wailers or James Brown.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal
No. 7 Kid - I would be GISMO from the Gremlins! That furry little guy is awesome!

Jay of the Funk - A racoon because they are resourceful, always in disguise and the have thumbs so I could still slap the bass!

6. Why should people listen to your band?
No 7. Kid - The Wiley One mixes up influences with originality and pure energy. People will listen to us because we are lyrical in nature and our songs have meaning and purpose behind them. You will definitely be able to understand every word at our live shows, which is something I think many bands are lacking. Musically I think we are combining acoustic music with hip-hop in way that is unlike anyone else in the industry. Our next album "Kill it with Love" set to be released in early 2010 is going to turn a lot of heads.

Jay of the Funk - We are all about spreading a positive message while having fun.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
No 7. Kid - From the first album, I think "The Beer Song" would be perfect. For the new album, our single "Shallow Water" would be awesome on Guitar Hero and Rock Band. It changes from reggae to a driving anthem rock beat that would challenge any Guitar Hero expert!

Jay of the Funk - UFO Man. Not too hard too play on expert but I bet there would be an alien singing or the mother ship would beam us up at the end.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
No. 7 Kid - First and foremost I would thank my family. I would thank my Mom and Pops who allowed me and helped me to follow my passion. I would thank my brother Michael and sisters Marta and Cristiana who served as my music teachers growing up and taught me everything I know. I would thank all of my friends (band mates included) for their incredible love and support. I would send a special thanks to all of Sundawg Records, Manager Matty, Producer and brother Gardner Cole, Casey Wade, and everyone involved in our music career over the many years. I would thank anything and everything that inspired me to make music. I would then thank the universe and of course I would thank the millions of music fans around the world.

Jay of the Funk - My mom for helping me realize I can do anything I put my mind to, Jah for me blessin's, Matty for working for free and Sammy for selling his soul to the devil.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

No. 7 Kid - Ooooh where do I start? I would get rid of the Execs who push the Cookie cutter blue print artists as the best artists in the world. I would make it so only artists who write their own music would be at the top. Ohh yeah, and they have freaking really sing live, no more of this "Lip Singing" crap.

Jay of the Funk - I would change how focused it is on appearance and materialism and change the focus to quality of music and message.

10. Memorable tour experience?
No. 7 Kid - Has to be our entire tour and performance at Seattle Hempfest. We headlined the main stage at 4:20 for over 80,000 people! It was insane! Just hanging with all of the different bands from around the world and the grassroots organizers who have been fighting for a cause for so long, some of them over 50 years. It was just an overall intense and awesome experience I think none of us will ever forget.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
AbsolutePunk.Net of course!! We are big fans of the site and are regular visitors.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
No. 7 Kid - Right now my favorite song to play is "Never bored on a board", which is a new song I wrote dedicated to Skateboarding, Snowboarding, Surfing, and Wakeboarding. We plan on taking the 'Boarding" world by storm with this one and it's just so freaking awesome to play. Chill, fast, with a killer melody.

- Jay of the Funk - What it is by the Chili Peppers.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
No. 7 Kid - We like to get the whole label together, bands and all and head to my pad on the beach in Rocky Point, Mexico. It's in a chill location so we can relax or head out and party if we choose. We bring crazy amounts of acoustic guitars, bongos, kongas, shakers, etc and jam on the patio while sippin upon a Dos-Equis with a lime or a chilled tequila. The day is filled with fresh food and fun in the sun!

Jay of the Funk - New York City

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
No. 7 Kid - Pink Floyd, The Pixies, The Cure, The Misfits, Beastie Boys, Cat Stevens, Tribe Called Qwest, The Pharcyde, Michael Jackson .... alright, alright, this would take all day!

Jay of the Funk - 70's R&B and 80's Hair Metal

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
No. 7 Kid - To fly of course!

Jay of the Funk - Mind control so I could end the wars in the middle east and get everyone to give a damn about the environment (and convince Flea to give me Bass lessons)

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
No. 7 Kid- My Philosophy has always been to just "Do it for the Music"! I think if you keep that vision you will always be successful. True success is not measured by how much money you have, but on how happy you really are. The happier you are the more likely you are to quote "Make it". I never expected us to get this far, but all I can tell you is that we are not stopping anytime soon. So I guess the answer is "YES" I think we have made it - "you gotta be the river, here and there at the same time"!

Jay of the Funk - We have had a lot of success recently, but we will always strive for more recognition to spread our message of positivity and creativity.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
No. 7 Kid - We once performed at a nudist colony once! Don't ask!

Jay of the Funk - I'm addicted to Zombie movies.

18. What's your favorite holiday?
No. 7 Kid - Holloween, no question!

Jay of the Funk - Anyone I don't have to work on.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
No. 7 Kid - Enjoy life, have fun, play golf, surf, skate, snowboard, travel, relax, draw, read, make love, cook, hike, travel exotic places .... of course most of the time we are too busy with music to do any of this stuff!

Jay of the Funk - Make music, love my lady.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
No 7 Kid - I can cook like a crazy man!

Jay of the Funk - Ask my lady

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
04:33 PM on 02/09/10
Sundawgrecords
User Info.
The Wiley One also to release "Planet Challenge" with Disney in April 2010

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music