AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Twin Atlantic - Vivarium Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 8
Production 9
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Final Verdict: 87%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.38
Lyrics 8.25
Production 8.5
Creativity 7.25
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Average: 81%
Inside AP.net

Twin Atlantic - Vivarium

Reviewed by: CatalinaCaper (02/09/10)
Twin Atlantic - Vivarium
Record Label: Red Bull Records
Release Date: August 14, 2009

Scotland has given the world of entertainment many fine moments in the past decade, such as the addictive indie rockers The Fratellis and epic masculine throwdowns in Braveheart. Now imagine if Mel Gibson went on a drunken rampage and smashed the two together. The result would be the terribly catchy and aggressive Scottish band Twin Atlantic. The band's debut release, Vivarium, is as much a testament to the scope and prowess of the Scottish music scene as it is a sign that the oversaturated post-punk/alternative genre is not yet lost completely.

The most defining aspect of this 8-track album is undoubtably Sam McTrusty's quirky vocals, which at first seem seriously out of place for the pounding drums and poppy, cascading guitar riffs. Yet, as the first song of the album and their debut single "Light Speed" progresses to the chorus, his voice becomes instantaneously addictive. Not surprisingly, one of the band's first major performances was as a support for Circa Survive, as you can definitely feel the flowing, catchy groove to each track that inherently makes you want to dance, even when you know you look like a fool. Each song offers a different dynamic, like the subtle piano melody in "Carribean War Syndrome" and the pulsing bass beat in "Light Speed", almost as if the band is proving to the world that they have that special something to redefine the genre. Moreover, the lads use an impressive variety of slow, fast, and building songs that breeze the album almost flawlessly from beginning to end. With the band landing an admirable guest spot on The Fall of Troy's tour this spring, it will be no surprise to this reviewer when Twin Atlantic strikes it big.

Tracklisting1. Light Speed - 3:24
2. Old Grey Face - 2:50
3. You're Turning Into John Wayne - 4:19
4. Caribbean War Syndrome - 6:13
5. What is Light? Where is Laughter? - 3:40
6. Human After All - 4:21
7. Audience and Audio - 3:56
8. Better Weather - 4:23

Recommended If You LikeCirca Survive, mewithoutYou, Mel Gibson Bar Fights, Kilts/Man Skirts, Scottish music minus the bagpipes.

myspace.com/twinatlantic

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11.
12:34 PM on 02/20/10
CatalinaCaper
Stay Classy, San Diego
User Info.
Short, I know, but please appreciate that I wrote this on a whim at 2 AM.
03:49 PM on 02/20/10
Rynaldo
Dr. Octagon
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
since i am scottish and proud, and love seeing new talent come through, but i do not like this band. i thought there songs were a bit too dry and generic. since they were personally chosen by the smashing pumpkins to support them in a concert and have been compared to biffy clyro, i gave these guys a try. they have the potential but these just doesnt seperate them from a million other power pop/pop punk/pop rock bands. good review though
08:27 AM on 02/21/10
CatalinaCaper
Stay Classy, San Diego
User Info.
since i am scottish and proud, and love seeing new talent come through, but i do not like this band. i thought there songs were a bit too dry and generic. since they were personally chosen by the smashing pumpkins to support them in a concert and have been compared to biffy clyro, i gave these guys a try. they have the potential but these just doesnt seperate them from a million other power pop/pop punk/pop rock bands. good review though
I really appreciate the honest opinion but I would have to disagree on one thing.

You say that they aren't original enough - and honestly at first I sat down and thought myself about the same thing, but when it comes down I really haven't seen a band effectively mix fast, poppy choruses with slower verses anywhere close to as well as they do on this album since, well probably Blink 182.

Side Note - I would also argue they have much more instrumental range than most in the gnere, and definitely more than old school Blink
05:55 AM on 02/22/10
Rynaldo
Dr. Octagon
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I really appreciate the honest opinion but I would have to disagree on one thing.

You say that they aren't original enough - and honestly at first I sat down and thought myself about the same thing, but when it comes down I really haven't seen a band effectively mix fast, poppy choruses with slower verses anywhere close to as well as they do on this album since, well probably Blink 182.

Side Note - I would also argue they have much more instrumental range than most in the gnere, and definitely more than old school Blink

and also disagree with the part of the fratellis being the definite entertaining band from scotland. there are at least 10 bands which are much better than them
06:13 AM on 02/22/10
CatalinaCaper
Stay Classy, San Diego
User Info.
and also disagree with the part of the fratellis being the definite entertaining band from scotland. there are at least 10 bands which are much better than them
I apologize for coming off that way, but I wasn't claiming that they were the defining band from Scotland, just a well known, generally well regarded band from Scotland.
02:05 PM on 02/24/10
BozzBlonde
Adieux.
User Info.
I loved this album.
01:34 PM on 03/21/10
artdavidson
Swim against the current.
User Info.
Loved. Hope the guys can stick together for a great time & produce great music.
06:20 AM on 05/24/10
TylerRul3zD00d
User Info.
These guys were for the least, "Amazing." I had the opprotunity to first hear them I went to see The Fall Of Troy, and Envy on The Coast in St. Petersburg. I will never forget, When Envy On The Coast was wrapping up there set list, The lead singer for Twin Atlantic, in a drunken stooper (lol) decided to jump up the side of the stage, well the chair he jumped on, broke from under him. and he went falling, grabbing me in the process (after i finally pushed my way to the front of the stage on the left next to the speakers. haha) and knocking my face in the speaker. haha. I told him "buddy i probably saved your life, you owe me big time."
03:58 PM on 06/09/10
Hidden In NJ
Cilvia Demo
User Info.
I saw them live this year... they played with The Fall Of Troy, and Envy On The Coast. I originally came for TFOT (R.I.P.) but I came out with a new favorite band. Everyone there said they sucked... but Twin Atlantic has real talent.
10:20 PM on 07/14/10
AgainstTheCurrent
Paranoid Humanoid.
User Info.
Man, are these guys awesome. This review pretty much summed up my thoughts on them, I'd give the album a 90 at least though.

I can listen to every track, I dont know who the hell thinks their music is dry, I think they're the perfect mix of indie (i.e. Bloc Party & Fratellis) and emo (Taking Back Sunday & Say Anything).

THey are also very talented instrumentalists which I FUCKING love seeing in this genre, all of the members are talented, that NEVER happens in this genre of music.

I'm just so astounded by these guys<3
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums