AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Colton Saylor and She Sells Sea Shells, The - Good... Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 9.25
Production 7
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 83%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9.25
Lyrics 9
Production 7
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 9.25
Reviewer Tilt 9
Average: 86%

Colton Saylor and She Sells Sea Shells, The - Good...

Reviewed by: CatalinaCaper (02/15/10)
Colton Saylor and the She Sells Sea Shells - Good Luck With Your War
Record Label: Wylscot Records
Release Date: June 1, 2009

If the world of music were Sherwood Forest, filled with liars, frauds, and bad rappers with auto-tune, then Colton Saylor would play the defiant Robin Hood, and his rambunctious band of musicians known as the She Sells Sea Shells would be his merry men (and woman). Just like Robin Hood, the songs from Saylor’s debut release “Good Luck with Your War” can be reckless at times, but at the end of the day the twanging melodies and Oberst-esque vocals leave you with a fuzzy feeling inside time after time.

If the self described genre of “Indie Folk Beard Rock” doesn’t intrigue you enough, the first full length track on GLWYR “By Any Means Necessary” will capture your full attention. This track, along with others like “Cut That Shit Out” and “Losing Something,” showcase the raw and until now unnoticed talent that Saylor and his gang have for writing powerful, meaningful folk music. The record is flush with catchy, hooking riffs that make you want to get up and two-step, complimented by the splashy and upbeat drum beats and grooving bass notes. Considering the album was recorded in a studio that you can’t even Google, the quality to which each song is crafted makes up and then some for the occasional production flaws.

Saylor's lyrics shine in ever song, contributing a great deal to the lasting impact of the album. The subtle wittiness to songs like "By Whatever Means Necessary" (Says he loves sinners 'cause they bring all of the business in/Some people would die just to be born again) contrast flawlessly against the depressed and emotional lyrics of songs like "Stop Living" (Men aren't born evil, no/It's just something they pick up). However, the most memorable parts of Colton Saylor and the quadruple S’s album lie in the songs’ simplicity, whether it is in the simple but haunting acoustic progressions, or in the pureness to which Saylor tells his stories in every song. The artificiality to which so many artists employ in recording – often copy and pasting meaningless lyrics into a song simply just to have something to sing – makes you appreciate the authenticity with which Colton writes even more. No matter their musical tastes, every person who gives this album the chance it deserves will walk away with something to cherish – and that’s what music is all about.

Recommended If You LikeIndie Folk Beard Rock, Bob Dylan, Bright Eyes, Elliot Smith

Tracklisting1. Attrition I - 1:07
2. By Whatever Means Necessary - 3:18
3. Bottle of Piss - 3:45
4. 31209 - 4:48
5. Cut That Shit Out - 4:20
6. Your Lungs - 1:49
7. Losing Something - 3:55
8. Bouncing Boy - 4:26
9. Stop Living - 4:53
10. The World Won't Give Me Nothin' - 3:25
11. Attrition II - 12:51

myspace.com/coltonsaylormusic

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
06:54 AM on 03/07/10
nodty13
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Fuck yeah! Glad this guy is finally getting a bit of recognition. I caught a show a while ago and been a fan ever since. Some of the best lyrics I have heard in a very long time. I definitely suggest catching one of his shows whenever you can.

Long live Indie Folk Beard Rock!
08:03 PM on 03/07/10
Alex!
The Eventually Home
User Info.
They are so amazing. My band played a show with them somewhat recently and they're great. Wonderful people.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests