Password

Album Review

La Guillotine - Throat Album Cover

La Guillotine - Throat

Reviewed by
La GuillotineThroat
Release Date: December 27, 2005
Record Label: Kill Normal Records

There are some things in life that are so repugnant that it actually becomes part of their charm. Robin Williams as a talk show guest is one such example. Every time he manages to find screen time on someone else’s couch or chair or stool or etc., it never ends in less than an exhausting combination of muggings befitting a stroke victim and impersonations only the deaf, dumb, and blind would deem accurate. Still, like countless others, I can’t turn away from the ensuing train wreck.

Indie rock has found its Robin Williams in the form of La Guillotine vocalist, Trevor Johnson. The schizophrenic frontman evokes the caterwauling of Daryl Palumbo, the chant of Zack de la Rocha, and the warble of Conor Oberst on his band’s debut full-length, aptly titled Throat. As impressive as those three very unique personalities are on their own, forced to all exit out from Johnson’s larynx at the same time the result is almost ear-bleeding. Still, like I’m predicting a number of you won’t be able to, I can’t turn Johnson off.

Credit the rest of the politically charged, La Guillotine for making Johnson grotesquely attractive. If it weren’t for the spastic post-punk soundtrack playing in the background, Throat would easily find it’s way into the “Unlistenable” pile I, and all critics, have in the bottom right corner of their cd tower. As it is though, the danceable rhythms, frantic drumming, and occasional handclap moment fit seamlessly with their enigmatic frontman. Making you have the epiphany, “Oh, I get it! These guys are spazzes.”

Now, if I could just have the same breakthrough moment watching RV.

I saw a man who wasn’t there: “Raccoon”, “Quiet Sick”, “Sleep Marks”

Angry Nerd Rock: At The Drive In, Q and Not U, Rage Against The Machine
This review is a user submitted review from Russ Hockenbury. You can see all of Russ Hockenbury's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 20
07:05 PM on 07/22/06
Rich Duncan
Album Reviewer
User Info.
I always like reading your reviews, and this one was no exception.
10:46 PM on 07/22/06
ianoneil
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
well hey im in this band, what a big suprise!
10:21 AM on 07/23/06
HoldFastHope
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
So what were the actual elements of the CD like?
10:27 AM on 07/23/06
Russ Hockenbury
with special guest
User Info.
Originally Posted by HoldFastHope
So what were the actual elements of the CD like?

1."spastic post-punk soundtrack"
2. "politically charged"
3. "danceable rhythms, frantic drumming, and occasional handclap moment"
4. Any of the references I made to Johnson's vocals.
5. The comparisons at the end.

Isn't that enough?
11:56 AM on 07/23/06
whitedsepulchre
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I really like how you use two paragraphs and an immaterial comparison to Robin Williams instead of the appropriate word for what you're trying to say: "abject." It was really innovative the way you didn't actually describe the record, but just referenced it to something in the popular zeitgeist. Chuck Klosterman would be really impressed.

P.S. I really appreciated the sentence fragment there at the end. The thud of grammatical ineptitude really helps send your message home.
01:01 PM on 07/23/06
GoWaitInTheCar
The World Won't Listen.
User Info.
Originally Posted by SMERICH
I always like reading your reviews, and this one was no exception.

Ditto.
01:47 PM on 07/23/06
Russ Hockenbury
with special guest
User Info.
Originally Posted by whitedsepulchre
I really like how you use two paragraphs and an immaterial comparison to Robin Williams instead of the appropriate word for what you're trying to say: "abject." It was really innovative the way you didn't actually describe the record, but just referenced it to something in the popular zeitgeist. Chuck Klosterman would be really impressed.

P.S. I really appreciated the sentence fragment there at the end. The thud of grammatical ineptitude really helps send your message home.

Ha, very well written response! I'll address it with the following:

If I learned anything from English 101 and 102 in college, it's that writing by the rules is essentially the most restrictive form of expression. Masturbatory, even.

P.S. I am flattered that you would register as a user on this site for the sole purpose of commenting on one of my reviews.
08:17 AM on 07/24/06
perrone
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this review sucks

i'm not sure how a three paragraph review in which one paragraph is a crappy anecdote and the only thing of substance are a few bare-bones phrases on the genre is acceptable
09:52 AM on 07/24/06
Russ Hockenbury
with special guest
User Info.
Originally Posted by perrone
this review sucks

i'm not sure how a three paragraph review in which one paragraph is a crappy anecdote and the only thing of substance are a few bare-bones phrases on the genre is acceptable

I've never read of any of your stuff (nor do I have any desire), but I'm sure you're writing in the same generic style as everybody else. You're probably comfortable with that, too. That's ok, I guess. It's just not what I do.
02:16 PM on 07/24/06
HoldFastHope
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
So I'm glad someone has the integrity to just delete my comment instead of just addressing it.
08:18 PM on 07/24/06
SockMonkeyRiot
johnnymainstream.bandcamp .com
User Info.
One of the best albums I've heard in awhile, Great live show too.
06:03 AM on 07/25/06
perrone
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Originally Posted by Russ Hockenbury
I've never read of any of your stuff (nor do I have any desire), but I'm sure you're writing in the same generic style as everybody else. You're probably comfortable with that, too. That's ok, I guess. It's just not what I do.

that's the lamest assumption i've ever read

it's okay to not be formulaic and still keep your review RELEVANT

and since when is "not formulaic" equal to writing a crappy two paragraph robin williams anecdote?
06:07 AM on 07/25/06
Russ Hockenbury
with special guest
User Info.
Originally Posted by perrone
that's the lamest assumption i've ever read

it's okay to not be formulaic and still keep your review RELEVANT

and since when is "not formulaic" equal to writing a crappy two paragraph robin williams anecdote?

Obviously, there's a synapse problem with you because you don't comprehend the connection I offered. In the future, I'll explain things to you like I do my Kindergarteners.
09:30 AM on 07/25/06
perrone
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
who said anything about comprehension? that robin williams shit was lame, dude

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT