AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

O.a.r. - 7.14.06

Interviewed by
O.a.r. - 7.14.06State your name and duties in O.A.R.

I'm Jerry DePizzo and I play Saxophone.

A lot of kids on absolutepunk, just write you off as a college jam band. What are your thoughts on that?

I think it's stereotypical, and doesn't describe what this band is capable of. It's weird. When I was growing up, there was college bands, and that was bands like REM. It was cool then, a badge of honor. But now, it's a negative statement. It doesn't have the same meaning, and it's unfortunate. I understand people have to label music. If you find out about a certain band in college, the play at your college, I see where people get that from. At the same time I think this bands more capable of frat music and drinking beer to it. There's alot more to the depth to the lyrics, and there's alot more substance in the music.

I know this is asked alot, but what does O.A.R. mean. Yes, Of A Revolution, but what does the name mean exactly?

Of A Revolution was originally the name of the band. But as you can tell, it's a mouthful. Of A Revolution comes from the brilliance and the innocence of youth. Mark and Chris had the opportunity to study abroad in Israel at a young age. During that time they wrote lyrics and music, and what would become O.A.R. It was a change of thinking and exposure to different atmosphere. It was a new way of life and thinking, and a new style of music for them. O.A.R. is a new beginning, it's a change, it's a movement. It's a name we try to live up to, to this day.

How does it feel to become one of the most played bands in Hollister? (User Question)

We try to expose our music to different audiences, in as many different ways as possible.This isn't the 1960's where you get your music from AM radio. There's so many different ways, even absolutepunk, that people can be exposed to music. You have to embrace that change, and if you want to be successful have to embrace it and utilize it to your advantage. We've always built ourselves on the grass roots touring campaign, thats why we're going to go out and tour the country until we're old and gray. At the same time you're gonna need radio play, you're gonna need to have your music in stores, on myspace, i tunes, and sometimes, you're going to have to have it on tv and in stores like Hollister. That's one of the ways people discover new artists these days.

What can you tell us about your next release?

I think we started writing directly after our last record. We finished our last record, right around this time last year and we started writing a couple of days after finishing on our next tour. So I think we have a pretty good jump on it. The last record was an electic blend of the many different styles and it showed what O.A.R. is. There was rock songs, reggae songs, long lasting jams, ballads, and radio songs. I think we're going to build off that. As we progress, we're getting a better idea of who O.A.R. is and what our identity is. I think it'll be a more focused record than our last, and it should be our best record to date.

What have your influences over the years been?

It's come in waves to be honest with you. Different styles of music. I grew up with hand-me-down music like Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin, to Motley Crue and Cinderella. When I was in high school I listened to bands like Pavement, Fugazi, and Arches of Loaf. When I went to college with these guys, I discovered reggae music, The Allman Brothers, The Police, and U2. It change, and evolved, just like the music does. Right now I'm influenced by Ryan Adams. The way he writes and at the pace he does so, is pretty amazing to me. But I'm also into bands like Metric right now too.

How was it playing MLB All Star Sunday?

It was interesting. We've never done anything quite like that. All these tractor trailers and being in a pit on the side of the stadium, and being set up and ready to go in 90 seconds is pretty crazy. To be playing on live tv with the Goodyear blimp above you and pyro's going off behind you, it's a little different than what we're used to. But it was a good experience. We were able to reach people we normally wouldn't be able to.I thought it went well, we played well, and we got a great response from it. We had alot of downloads off of I-Tunes, it was just really great for us.

Will there be another live album?

Yes. I can't say when, but our usual way of releasing, is studio record, live record, studio, etc. We're going to continue on that path. I'd like to make it more than just a double disc this time around. I'd like to have a full length DVD with it, we need to do something like that. We were trying to do it this summer, but couldn't get everything together in time. This being the 10th year anniversary of the band, we were really hoping to do it. But we might have to wait until the 11th year. It will probably be out before another studio record.

Are you planning on hitting the UK anytime soon?

We've talked about it. We're talking about doing a couple of shows in London, we're just waiting for the right opportunity. We still don't have records out overseas. The cool think about punk music and bands that are an off shoot of that, are accepted all over the world. People that embrace that style of music in America, are most like going to embrace it in Europe, Japan and Australia. We're trying to take a little bit from that, and hopefully follow in those guys footsteps.

Why did you choose Jack's Mannequin on this tour?

I don't think anyone thought that was an obvious choice. It's worked out fantastic, it's great. We knew Andrew from his Somthing Corporate days, we had both opened for 311 a couple of years ago. We got along great with him and those guys. We were going to take them out before this, but Andrew was diagnosed with cancer. When we found out he was cleared by the doctors to tour, we were really excited about it. It's been a great experience, those guys go out for 45 minutes every night and just kill it. They play a great, entergetic show, and they bring people to the show that's different from our audience. Their fan base is a little younger than ours, it's great to expose them to our music, and then also for us to be exposed to them. I think both bands music are accessable to each other. It's only the beginning of the tour, and I look forward to the next two months with those guys, it's going to be great.

What did your parents think of your guys lyrics when you were younger?

I don't think they payed much attention to it. They realized the gambling and the poker portion of the song, was a metaphor of dealing with life. The heard alot of our other songs, and really understood what this band is about. Realizing this band had depth when it came to lyrics and they were able to relate to our songs, in a very specific and personal way. I think Mark does a good job with that, writing about certain instances in his life or someone that he knows. It's been things either he's experienced or someone close to him as experienced before. And I think people find a connection there.

What are your plans for the rest of 2006?

This is an interesting year for us. The last five years it's always been tour for two months, then two weeks off, throw a record in there, and just continue to tour. I think this fall, through the end of the year, we're not going to tour as much. We need to take a step back, and concentrate on writing some songs and maybe pursuing an overseas kind of thing. Stuff we haven't been able to do as much, because we've been out on the road for the last five years. And of course going home and spending time with our families. I can't complain too much, I play music for a living. But I do miss alot of important things, weddings, anniversaries, birthdays, and shit, I miss cutting my grass. I just can't do it. It'd just be nice to go home and spend a little time with everyone.

Do you have any parting words for the readers at absolutepunk?

I would say don't write us off as a college, or frat band, there's alot more that we have to offer. It's something we can all relate to or connect to in one way or another. A label's just a label, and unfortunatley, people have to label music. I think when it comes down to it, it's just people listening to music. Who cares what people call it, wether it be punk, college rock, or whatever. It's all the same stuff.

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
01:49 PM on 07/23/06
allisterkid
here since blink fansite
User Info.
Great interview awesome band. Congrats on not buying into what most of the assholes here say about this wonderful band.
10:17 PM on 07/23/06
rockdoggdx
Wannabe Rock Star
User Info.
Originally Posted by Caleb Cattivera
We knew Andrew from his Somthing Corporate days

I don't like the tone of that. HIS SOMETHING CORPORATE DAYS ARE STILL THE PRESENT. THEY ARE NOT OVER!!!

at least I hope not..
09:28 AM on 07/24/06
the sob
is a byrddog
User Info.
jm/soco has a younger fan base than oar? OAR's fan are so young that they should incorporate nap time, recess, and a game of duck, duck, goose into there set. OAR are ****.
09:30 AM on 07/24/06
mrzippo3
User Info.
I used to love this band until they sold out, which is a term I hate being used, but they did plain and simple
09:32 AM on 07/24/06
rockdoggdx
Wannabe Rock Star
User Info.
Originally Posted by the sob
jm/soco has a younger fan base than oar? OAR's fan are so young that they should incorporate nap time, recess, and a game of duck, duck, goose into there set. OAR are ****.

what? O.A.R. fans are like 18+, I didnt really know them well until I went to college. I love JM, but their fan base is definitely younger just because of where they came from with SoCo and all.
10:03 AM on 07/24/06
gillygtv
__
User Info.
Originally Posted by rockdoggdx
what? O.A.R. fans are like 18+, I didnt really know them well until I went to college. I love JM, but their fan base is definitely younger just because of where they came from with SoCo and all.

O.A.R. fans have progressively gotten younger and younger over the years..i became an avid listener 5 years ago and at the time most fans were a lot older than me. things have certainly changed(my feelings towards the music and the fan base)
and frankly...its annoying cause these high school kids get drunk and pee in the middle of the floor at hammerstein one year..and the next O.A.R. plays msg and i am surrounded, not only was that the worst OAR show ive ever been to..but the worst show in general
10:33 AM on 07/24/06
mikedumapias
User Info.
Quote:
high school kids get drunk and pee in the middle of the floor

thats just great.

its surprising to hear the dudes influences and stuff.

their music i still find quite boring though. but good for him.

-miked.
11:17 AM on 07/24/06
Johnny Drama
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
it is easy to write this band off after hearing a couple songs. For whatever reason, the studio just doesnt capture the talent this band has, and i suggest to anyone that is ambivalent towards their music(read: not completely biased and prejudiced against "college bands") to pick up a live cd such as 34th and 8th, which was the 1st OAR cd i owned and enjoyed, because it really is just a fantastic cd. On studio releases I really dislike marc's voice, but live he may be one of my favorite vocalists.

that said, most people who hate this band are ugly. i'm just saying.
01:18 PM on 07/24/06
allisterkid
here since blink fansite
User Info.
I definately agree that there older music is better and that at times there live stuff is more enjoyable than there studio stuff, but some of the stuff I see here is just ridiculous. This band is getting completely written off and the genius of there music has me in awe.

Atleast do yourself a favor if you're going to write this band off and listen to a few songs by them before doing so, rather than just writing them off because all the other kids at AP wrote them off too.
01:29 PM on 07/24/06
mikedumapias
User Info.
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama
that said, most people who hate this band are ugly. i'm just saying.

thats hilarious too.

and for the record we listen to one of their live albums(if they have more than one i have no idea) and some of their studio stuff at where i work too so id like to think i have a good idea of what they sound like.

and yea i guess i am pretty ugly. but i dont hate the band.

-miked.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version