AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.

Gary Reynolds and The Brides of Obscurity - 02.10.10

Interviewed by: Linda Ferreira (02/23/10)
Interview by Jenny Tate:

As far as New Year’s resolutions go, Seattle-based
Gary Reynolds and The Brides of Obscurity made a unique one, vowing to release a song a week and a full-length album a month for the entirety of 2010. Front man Gary Reynolds, owner of Electrokitty Studios, released the album “Instant Happiness” with The Brides of Obscurity in 2006, followed by the EP "Extended Play" and the full-length "Santiago's Vest," both in 2007. Reynolds had a vast collection of songs he had recorded in years past that he had never done anything with. Revisiting these older recordings inspired this year-long project. "Originally, my only intention was to transfer the songs to digital, strictly for my own enjoyment," Reynolds said. "However, upon listening to the tracks I realized that they were actually much better than I had remembered them being. So I got this idea to release a song a week for a year as a good way to get all these tracks out. I'm clearing the slate and finally getting my entire catalogue out where it belongs." The music ranges from psychedelic indie-rock to folksier numbers to powerpop. Gary answered some question for Absolutepunk.net recently.

1) Just to clarify, the songs and albums you are releasing are largely things that you had already recorded and you are now just making them digital. Are you re-recording them?

A lot of them were transferred from analog tape. I've put them into Protools and I'm now in the process of cleaning them up and mixing/mastering them.

2) How are you releasing the songs and albums? For download on your website? iTunes? In stores?

For now I'm just releasing everything as downloadable MP3's. They are available off my site, iTunes and CD Baby. I will probably press some actual CDs later in the year. But the downloads are going very well right now.

3) Do you have any upcoming tours?

No tours planned at the moment. I'm releasing 12 albums this year so there's not a lot of time for touring. But when I get ahead of the curve then I'll start planning some dates.

4) How has the experience been looking back on your work from previous years? Can you see a progression or change in your work? If so, in what way?

I've jumped around and done a lot of experimentation with direction and sound. Overall, there is a common thread to the songwriting and approach to the way I make music. Actually, working with the very early stuff has been an inspiration to get back to basics and take more chances.

5) How long have you been a band? How many members are there and how did you get together?

The Brides of Obscurity were formed in 2005. Over the years it's become more of a solo project than a band effort. I formed the band to play the album "Instant Happiness", things clicked and we've gone on from there.

6) Is there a story behind the name "Brides of Obscurity"?

I was going to call it "the male order brides" but that was a bit too campy. I think brides of obscurity arose from some sort of inside joke or something.

7) What are your musical influences?

There's a lot of great music out there. I'm heavily influenced by '60's bands. I wanted to write like them so instead of copying what they did, I sought out the bands that influenced them and listened to that.

8) What are your musical aspirations for the future?

Right now it's one day at a time. I've got an enormous amount of work to do this year to fulfill my promise. I'm teaching myself flash at the moment so I can do some videos to the songs.

9) Anything else that you would like to add?

Since I started this project the response has been great! I've been writing a lot of songs. I have 4 more albums worth of stuff ready to record past the initial 12. Who knows, maybe I'll see if I can continue this into 2011.

Albums available for download at http://www.garyreynolds.com, iTunes and CD Baby

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2.
02:31 AM on 02/23/10
hurley182guy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
impressive effort.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives