AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.
Inside AP.net

Bank The Band - 02.27.10

Interviewed by: Keagan Ilvonen (02/27/10)
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Bank The Band

www.myspace.com/banktheband
www.facebook.com/banktheband
www.twitter.com/banktheband

1. How did you get your band name?
First of all, hi, this is Dan the lead singer of Bank answering the q's! All band names start out as a competition. Bank was no different. There was arguing and near fights along the way but I really think we were exhausted by trying to come to a consensus. During one of our early rehearsals when we would catch a cigarette outside the front entrance of The Venue in Boise I looked up at the tallest building on the skyline not four blocks from where we were standing and saw it... US Bank. We were so tired of fighting that I won the competition. It became Bank The Band over time but we don't get upset if you just call us bank.

2. How did this band get started?
There was really a lot of jealousy among all of the bands we grew up with. I am sure it is the same with many local scenes across the country. Andrew, my brother, had just graduated from high school and we felt like this would be a great way to expand our talents. We recruited some of the other players from our hometown of Caldwell that were rivals because we thought the best way beat em was to have em join us.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
Weezer, J.E.W, The Beatles?

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
Abandon Kansas, Man Without Wax, Paper Mache... We have toured with them already and those are some of the best memories I have ever made.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
A Koala. Wanna hug me?

6. Why should people listen to your band?
I think there is something very embracing about the music we create and that most everyone can relate to the lyrics. If you like a finely tuned pop song we can't be beat. :)

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
We have a new song on our e.p. called "Better Judgement" and it is kinda lick heavy with a moving bass line. It would be entertaining to play I think but it would be an easy song to accomplish! Not too many of our songs are technically that difficult. We aren't trying to be The Fall of Troy or anything! (sidenote: I was sad to see they called it quits.)

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
All of the people that we have grown up with playing shows and shlepping gear. Mom and Dad. Whoever produced that awesome record/song/video!

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
The difficulty for bands from small markets to make it! I would say that being from Boise has been very difficult for us although it is very cool when we break out from our perceived "hole" and get respect from big time players in L.A. and NYC.

10. Memorable tour experience?
Anytime that we drive in the snow is pretty memorable. EESH! One of my favorite experiences was spending some time in L.A. with some friends that lived in a downtown apartment on a tour with Man Without Wax. We had three or four shows in the area so we set up camp on the floor with sleeping bags. I have said it before that tour is the best kind of homeless. Haha. It was crazy being at the center of so much! I remember one night after we had been staying with our friends the Danger Radio guys rolled in just before they signed to a label. While we were at a show in Orange County they came in and took over the living room. Did I mention that the apartment was really small? Too make things worse, one of them was sleeping in my bag! Luckily Nico noticed my frustration and helped me out with a strong drink. I think I slept in the van that night.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
It is the place to come for information on bands of all genres.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
I really love the new material from our new E.P. It is so fresh. I really like playing "Catch It" because it is a powerful song to sing and play.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Seattle. Love my friends up there!

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Michael W. Smith. No rock and roll when I was a kid. It was the "devils" music. Funny how my parents run a club now with bands that would make Thrice or Brand New look like kids playtime music.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Flying. Duh. Anyone that says different is lying.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
One of the worst things bands deal with. No band will ever tell you that they have made it so I am going to be the one that says yes. Anything that we accomplish after today is just icing.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I am a redhead. I didn't even know until a few years ago.

18. What's your favorite holiday?
Thanksgiving. Gotta love family time.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Hang out with my girlfriend. Boat, fish, ride bikes, write music.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I build bikes in the winter. It is fun and I make some money when spring hits!

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6.
07:47 PM on 02/28/10
uglystar03
User Info.
You learn something new every day...
09:35 PM on 02/28/10
manwithoutwax
User Info.
Much love! Everyone listen to this band. -Bateson
09:51 PM on 02/28/10
remoteCONTROL
We're a band.
User Info.
LOVE LOVE LOVE. Always doing what they can to help other bands out that take the time to visit Boise. I wish they would take more black volkswagon trips to seattle tho to hang out.
02:03 PM on 03/01/10
BornUnderPunches
I am not a dirty god
User Info.
"Funny how my parents run a club now with bands that would make Thrice or Brand New look like kids playtime music. "
what would be the name of this club and where?
06:29 PM on 03/01/10
julyof79
User Info.
what would be the name of this club and where?

The Venue in Boise, Idaho. www.boisevenue.com
Sorry if that sounded like a reach for a comparison. The club has made a name for hosting a lot of hardcore shows and tough guys like to come from SLC and Eastern Idaho to come throw down in the "pit". I still say it is a departure from sunday school lessons to hear Every Time I Die playing there.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests