AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

A Common Year - 02.28.10

Interviewed by
A Common Year - 02.28.10The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

A Common Year

http://acommonyear.bandcamp.com

1. How did you get your band name?
Our drummer, Jake, proposed it when he joined the band. It replaced the much dumber name we used before he played with us. He wrote "a common year" on our homemade pop filter and doodled it on a napkin when we were out to eat one night. We're weird and liked it, so we went with it.

2. How did this band get started?
One day, Coleman and I realized that we weren't good enough at sports to justify playing them all the time in high school. We started catching up on all the music we'd been missing, learned guitar, recorded a ton of horrible demos, and just kept at it. Eventually we figured we should form some sort of musical group. After a few unavoidable line-up changes, we came together as a band about 18 months ago.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
I'd like to think we draw upon a lot of different influences. A few we could all say "for sure" to are Jimmy Eat World, Brand New, blink-182, TBS, The Killers and Coldplay. If people really care about what we listen to, they can check out our last.fm libraries (Usernames: cbaksa, COLEMAN902, acommonjake, mattritter).

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
Any of the bands named above. Jimmy Eat World because they seem like down-to-earth, genuine guys who'd be easy to get along with for a few months. And then blink so we could just go nuts and act immature every night.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be?
Why that animal? A furry? Hmmm...probably a duck-billed platypus. It'd be fun to be the most absurd, weird mammal in existence.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
Because we make music that's very intentional and serious -- but it's still fun to listen to. We try to steer clear of gimmicks, and we want you to spin our album because you enjoy it, and not for any other reason. We're real people making real songs. The thing we're most proud of is that to this point, we've done absolutely everything affiliated with our music on our own. We know there are lots of true music fans out there who really value that genuine quality in bands, and we'd ask those fans to support a band set on making good music and never getting too "cool" for people who want to converse with us.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
Haha, oh man. Let me qualify my response by first saying that we don't claim to create the most mind-blowing or difficult instrumentation. Our songs are built largely around chord progressions, vocal melody and very tight, melodic lead guitar parts. Since I have to pick a song, I'd definitely pick "Keep My Secrets." Coleman has some pretty sweet lead parts in that song and a little solo.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Everyone who listened to and supported us well before we were ever popular.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
The fact that major labels sign artists based on what they've done on their own, and then try to micromanage and change their respective creative processes. What we hate even more is that the nature of the industry forces bands that aspire to be successful to think "will this song/album get us a lot of radio play?" instead of "is this truly a good song?" It's almost unavoidable. Some bands simply concede more than others. Finally, we hate that so many bands experience success because of their marketing teams and not because of the actual content.

10. Memorable tour experience?
We're looking to create a lot of tour memories in the near future.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
A lot, considering it provides us the ability to make our music available to people who make it a point to seek out and immerse themselves in quality music. Further, it allows us to interact with each and every person who digs our tunes. That's something we really appreciate and love to do. Any success we experience moving forward will rely heavily on and be attributed to users on AP.net helping spread the word.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
Some of our favorite ACY songs to play are "A Final Word," "Be Good, Be True," and "Shake it Off." I feel like we always end up goofing around with "My Own Worst Enemy," by LIT in practice.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Anywhere we can crack open a case of High Life and listen to dub step on max volume.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Definitely all the great music of the '90s -- even the one hit wonders. Anything by Third Eye Blind, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, blink or Green Day. Those bands seemed to have nonstop hits back in the day.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Besides the obvious choices (flight, laser vision, time control, super strength), the ability to make anyone pass some loud, embarrassing gas in any situation would be extremely entertaining.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
Hell no. But I do think we have what it takes. I think we're very self aware and we have quite a ways to go as far as maturing musically and learning the ins and outs of the business/logistical side of music. We'd love to "make it," and we're definitely giving it our best shot. We're very young as a band, but I think the ingredients are there.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
People who get our music from a more external source may not gather that we record everything on our own. Also, I think it's pretty cool that we all have graduated or will be graduating college in the near future. I think it's cool that we were able to manage balancing music with getting degrees -- not that we're necessarily dead-set on using them.

18. What's your favorite holiday?
Easy -- 4th of July. Loud noises. Fire. Beer. Hicks. Nationalism. What more could you ask for?

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I watch hockey. Coleman makes R&B songs. Matt watches futbol. Jake paints things.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I can draw urban-looking cartoon characters with disproportionately big heads. Coleman can beatbox with his hands. Matt is a kick-ass graphic designer. Jake does all things art.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 18
10:07 AM on 03/01/10
eriatarka24
User Info.
Awesome! Love this band.
10:53 AM on 03/01/10
cryslmyers
User Info.
Casey Baksa.
too funny, too opinionated, too talented.
much love.
10:39 PM on 03/01/10
klawansie7
do you believe in magic?
User Info.
great band.
so glad i found them.
11:49 PM on 03/01/10
Jason_Merch
User Info.
Such a great band and very cool guys. I've talked with a couple of them. I wish these guys the best.
12:54 AM on 03/02/10
cbaksa
www.acommonyear.com
User Info.
Such a great band and very cool guys. I've talked with a couple of them. I wish these guys the best.
The fact that your avatar is the "Futures" album art makes you permanently legit.
02:10 AM on 03/02/10
Sarcasm
lostinthesound.com
User Info.
Great band. Great interview.
04:51 AM on 03/02/10
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
I love these guys; probably working on a review of Between Cities sometime shortly.
08:09 AM on 03/02/10
andresr200
let's put that to rest
User Info.
I just heard about this band maybe two weeks ago, when I added Coleman on Lastfm.
11:15 AM on 03/02/10
black clouds
User Info.
Thanks for the kind words everyone!
11:33 AM on 03/02/10
cbaksa
www.acommonyear.com
User Info.
Awesome! Love this band.

Casey Baksa.
too funny, too opinionated, too talented.
much love.

great band.
so glad i found them.

Great band. Great interview.

I love these guys; probably working on a review of Between Cities sometime shortly.

I just heard about this band maybe two weeks ago, when I added Coleman on Lastfm.

Thanks to everyone who checked this out. We appreciate it. We hope you enjoyed reading a few random things about us.
01:13 PM on 03/02/10
Jason_Merch
User Info.
The fact that your avatar is the "Futures" album art makes you permanently legit.
Haha, thanks! Definitely one of my top 10 favorite albums.
02:21 PM on 03/02/10
COLEMAN902
I thought you said forever...
User Info.
thanks to everyone for taking interest.
02:22 PM on 03/02/10
COLEMAN902
I thought you said forever...
User Info.
If anyone has any other random questions, feel free to ask.
11:01 PM on 03/07/10
cbaksa
www.acommonyear.com
User Info.
I think that would be totally awesome. We'd love to hear your thoughts. And if it got posted, that would help us out so much.

Doooo it.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version