AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Sweet Vans - 03.02.10

Interviewed by
Sweet Vans - 03.02.10The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Sweet Vans

http://www.myspace.com/sweetvanssc
http://www.sweetvans.bandcamp.com
http://www.twitter.com/sweetvans

1. How did you get your band name?
While we were recording our first EP, a friend of ours walked into the production room and commented on Ginger Snap's shoes with the comment "Sweet Vans"

2. How did this band get started?
We both liked hip hop, but not mainstream hip hop, and had been known for making mashups and beats in high school, so we decided to try and make concentrated beats and add satirical lyrics to them back in october of 2008

3. What bands are you influenced by?
J Dilla, Phoenix, Ratatat, Justice, Cobra Starship, Patrick Stump (production), The Neptunes, Kanye West, Jay-Z, Panic! at the Disco, Kid Cudi, Gorillaz, Fueled by Ramen (circa 2004/05)

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
Aw man, We'd love to tour with N.E.R.D. We could probably be a badass opener for them. That and we would love to hang out with Pharrell. Who wouldn't?

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
I'd probably be a puppy. Does that count? I'm all about playing and very excited and spastic almost

6. Why should people listen to your band?
Listen to us because we'll give you a laugh or five, but you can also dance to us. So you can grind with yo lady while giggling.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
Our song "I'm What it Is" would be the best bet. It's got some hard riffin in it. I think it'd only be hard because of the constant repetition. That and that I rap pretty fast in that one.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Absolutepunk.net, SceneSC.com, every media outlet that's helped us out at home. Oh, and New Brookland Tavern. That venue is home to us.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I would make people spend more time on their music videos. If you're going to shoot one, I think it should be done right.

10. Memorable tour experience?
We had a show at a newer venue, Elbow Room, and spent the entire day running around the city and being loud and obnoxious with the other bands on the bill. Then we got drunk as hell and played the show.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
Loads of opportunities for loads of people.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
Currently, my favorite is "Sanford, Son!" which is about Mark Sanford's affair in Argentina. It's really high energy, and it samples the theme song of "Sanford and Son".

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Argentina.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
"Boom Shakalaka" and "Jump".

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Invincibility. I just wanna take a gunshot and shrug it off.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
I feel like we've made it a lot more than I expected us to. Everyday we seem to get more and more outrageous opportunities.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
We're both multi-instrumentalists. I play guitar, drums, bass, keys, and sing. Ginger Snap plays guitar, ukelele, keys, and harmonica.

18. What's your favorite holiday?
My birthday. It should be a holiday anyway.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Party. and Bullshit.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I can turn invisible. Promise.

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
05:00 AM on 03/03/10
gibsonw
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
bakari, you are ridiculous and i love you
05:59 AM on 03/03/10
Lil' Creeper
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Checked yo' shit out....shit sucks....worse than the millionaires....fuck
08:16 AM on 03/03/10
sceneSC
www.sceneSC.com
User Info.
Lil Creeper just doesn't get it. Maybe when she grows up, she'll understand satire.
03:05 PM on 03/03/10
koss7129
why can't you just be happy?
User Info.
lil' creeper is a dude.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT