Password

Album Review

Boxer and Clover - What Happens Here Album Cover

Boxer and Clover - What Happens Here

Reviewed by
Boxer and Clover - What Happens Here
Record Label: None
Release Date: July 18, 2009
When I first started reviewing, I never thought I'd review more than a few Florida-based bands. By now I've reviewed two Florida bands and both have been pleasant surprises, as I've never heard of them before their albums showed up in my mailbox. Boxer and Clover are no exception, and they're definitely the most promising I've heard from around these parts.

As the first verse starts in the opening track "Adding to 100 Years of Silence" and the acoustic guitar blends with the fast-paced crunchy guitars, the feeling of something special hits. It's the feeling I first had when listening to Jimmy Eat World's "A Praise Chorus" for the first time. The song showcases perfectly what the rest of What Happens Here holds.

I figure I should talk about this sound that I keep boasting about, shouldn't I? Well, remember back in 2005 when bands like Acceptance and Mae were taking over headphones with their soft vocals and distorted guitars? Boxer and Clover take that sound and completely make it their own. This isn't the typical power-pop band that runs around venues these days.

The following two songs share a similar tone, but "Blue" is the real stand out. It could easily be considered the ballad in these handful of songs, but it doesn't stray far from the sound they conquer. The chorus hits with "So friends let’s keep this dream alive / For one more night we’ll scream and cry", a lyric of desperation to keep things together. The following songs are a bit harder than the previous ones but, again, still give off the sound they've decided to pull off. The instrumental bridge in "The Good Life" is especially powerful, especially coming from a small band.

Throughout the EP, Boxer and Clover show listeners what they're capable of. They take a sound that was capitalized by bands such as Acceptance and Jimmy Eat World circa 2003 and are able to make it their own. As a big fan of that sound back then, it's good to hear that this music continues to be played anew.

Track Listing01. Adding to 100 Years of Silence
02. The Sound of Your Lullaby
03. Blue
04. The Good Life
05. Story of an Adventurer and a Dreamer

Recommended If You LikeAcceptance; Jimmy Eat World - Bleed American; Mae

myspace.com/boxerandclover
This review is a user submitted review from Mirrorsandfevers. You can see all of Mirrorsandfevers's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
07:36 PM on 03/31/10
HiddenInNJ
User Info.
great review...i didn't really get into the album the first two times through...i guess i should give it another listen
08:07 PM on 03/31/10
Hagysaurus Rex
We yell like hell to the heavens.
User Info.
I only spun it a couple times at first, but now that it's warming up this is a great "windows down and sing along" EP

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos