Password

Album Review

The Dillinger Escape Plan - Option Paralysis Album Cover

The Dillinger Escape Plan - Option Paralysis

Reviewed by
Dillinger Escape Plan, The - Option Paralysis
Record Label: Party Smasher Inc./Season of Mist
Release Date: March 23, 2010

This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
It takes some bands many years to grab a hold of a strong fan base. Progressive writing behavior doesn't help either. Sometimes moving forward means picking up and dropping off fans along the way. Bands with a solid fan base will continue to test their listeners by riding a thin line of progression, while maintaining some sort of identity that those listeners have come to love them for. Few succeed at this. Many fail or ride the line so long, that when something drastic happens within their creative intellect, every listener vanishes at once.

Enter the Dillinger Escape Plan's new album, Option Paralysis. For some, it's a return to form coming off of 2007's big step forward (and most critically acclaimed work to date), Ire Works. For some of the super fans, it's a culmination of everything the band has set out to do so far. I like to think that the album is much of the latter. The band displays no signs of calming down completely, but the song writing on Option Paralysis is an even mix of spastic riffs and infectious melodies which are backed by frontman Greg Puciato's slick vocals.

The single, and first track, is a picture perfect representation of what to expect (and not expect) on the band's new endeavor. Somewhere between Patton freak-outs and Reznor choral lines, "Farewell, Mona Lisa" is a portrait of a band that has leveled out compositional intentions that were set out since Miss Machine. Instead of an uneven playlist of up's and down's, the band has blended both sides of their musical spectrum across the album, as opposed to separating them song by song. (See also: "Gold Teeth on a Bum" and "Chinese Whispers")

For the most aggressive of Dillinger fans, "Endless Endings" and "Room Full of Eyes" will suit thee nicely. Ironically, both songs are placed around "Widower," a six and a half minute structural build that will test even the most die hard of fans. Then there's the acid trip of "Parasitic Twins," it's chiming and crawling, sounding like a Nails' b-side. It's a strange bookend to a reckoning album. It fades out the intensity set by the rest of the record, instead of leaving the listener with one last blow to the gut.

Right before the album's head slipping ender though, we're left with "I Wouldn't If You Didn't," the grand marque of where the band has been and where they are stacked now. Their idols shine through, but the grit and dirt that the band has always been known for kicks the listener around before calmly sitting at a piano - then, one last swift kick to the head.

The Dillinger Escape Plan look less like the psychotic freak show they once started out to be. They are now bipolar in their writing, but are taking the right steps to channel all their sporadic creativity into well crafted architecture. Maybe I'm the wrong person to say this, but Option Paralysis has shaped itself up to be the best album by the band to date. It's sad to think that our idols die off eventually, or even worse, fade because of scrutiny. The Dillinger Escape Plan has certainly reached a peak for many, but with this album, they may have just solidified their seat amongst prog and metal kids alike.

Track List1. Farewell, Mona Lisa*
2. Good Neighbor
3. Gold Teeth on a Bum
4. Crystal Morning
5. Endless Endings
6. Widower*
7. Room Full of Eyes*
8. Chinese Whispers
9. I Wouldn't If You Didn't**
10. Parasitic Twins

*key tracks

Recommended If You LikeThe Bled's Found in the Flood; Nine Inch Nails' The Downward Spiral; Deftones' Deftones

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 59
03:43 AM on 03/11/10
Alex1410
User Info.
I've heard nothing but good things about this. Need to listen.
09:09 AM on 03/11/10
live4music
Digitally Bathing
User Info.
Glad to hear it's a bitchin' record. Lord knows I love me some DEP

Dude, Ire Works really came out three years ago? It seems just like yesterday
09:10 AM on 03/11/10
DogSizedBird
User Info.
Most anticipated right now. I'm sure this will rank up there with the Radiohead, Interpol, and Nine Inch Nails releases this year. Sooooo excited.
09:11 AM on 03/11/10
popdisaster00
Two years is a long time to pretend
User Info.
SO fucking stoked to listen to this
09:16 AM on 03/11/10
Seancore
User Info.
i dont know how dep could ever get under a perfect score on musicianship
09:23 AM on 03/11/10
dropdeadfm
my war
User Info.
this should Not. FAIL.
09:27 AM on 03/11/10
newfoundmichael
@SirDaveyBoy
User Info.
want. so want.
09:30 AM on 03/11/10
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Gahhhhh yesssssss
09:30 AM on 03/11/10
Sikbeat37
You like music too? Woah.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
So freaking excited for this.
09:45 AM on 03/11/10
EndSerenading
we were born for battle
User Info.
Album will own, along with anything else these guys have put out. They are one of the most unanimously respected metal bands around and deservedly so.
09:55 AM on 03/11/10
PlanetDahmz
User Info.
So pumped to hear this.
10:08 AM on 03/11/10
_><_
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Can't wait for this. Ire Works is one of my all time favorites. I hope this one will live up to it.
10:21 AM on 03/11/10
Supernovacaine
givin'er
User Info.
awesome! like everyone else, stoked to hear this..
10:24 AM on 03/11/10
MorningStar10
the other Kyle.
User Info.
Great reivew, got into Dillinger after Ire Works, and this album seems like it won't disappoint.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos