AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Fan-Tan - 03.14.10

Interviewed by
Fan-Tan - 03.14.10The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Fan-Tan

www.myspace.com/fantanmusic
http://www.facebook.com/pages/FAN-TAN/27797647447
www.twitter/fantannyc

1. How did you get your band name?
From an old Chinese gambling game that was popular with Chinese immigrant workers in the old American west. It is also the title of a posthumously published book by Marlon Brando. It also features prominently in an anecdote recited in the movie Young Guns II.

2. How did this band get started?
We all knew each other from the small but quite lush music scene of Chapel Hill, NC and we really wanted to make music that was more post-punk and new wave influenced than a lot of the indie music going on around there.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
P.I.L., New Order, Magazine, The Cure, Gang of Four

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
P.I.L.! John Lydon!

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
Definitely not a cat. I would find myself too indifferent for any kind of emotional bond and I would also be allergic to myself.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
Because I think they would find the music and lyrics most interesting and entertaining. Also hot chick bass player.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
On Your Wall, though i don't think it would be very hard. We try and keep it simple.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
My mom.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Make it actually profitable? Maybe government funding like they do in Canada (I assume, don't know that for a fact)

10. Memorable tour experience?
Forgot about our bass amp while unloading and left out on the sidewalk overnight. Upon finding it missing the next day, we were able to use security video footage from the apartment building to get it back. Couple of teenagers thought they had scored big until we showed up at their house.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
A most informative music website and online community. Its nice to have some help wading through all the new music being released these days.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
I like watching people dance when we play 'Earrings'

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Not leaving my apartment for days on end.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
I have this weird association between the "Into the Night" by Benny Mardonnes and the Friday the 13th Movies. I literally cannot hear/see one without thinking about the other. I have no idea why. Perhaps I was exposed to both at too young of an age.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
I would time-travel my ass back to Manchester around 1977ish and watch it all happen again.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
We still have jobs, so I guess that would be a no. I don't even say that to sound snarky, its just that to us, "making it" would mean being able to write, record and tour full-time. That's all we really ever wanted to do.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Mike Walters does not eat cheese. Kuki and Sandee are not related. I was born on Earth Day.

18. What's your favorite holiday?
Earth Day.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I like to think I'm pretty handy in the kitchen.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
See Above.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
06:20 AM on 03/31/10
linayijell
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Wow thats really interesting. Thnx for sharing!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos