AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Cale Parks - Illuminated Manuscript Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals N/A
Musicianship 9.25
Lyrics N/A
Production 8.25
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 86%
Member Ratings
Musicianship 9.75
Production 8.75
Creativity 9.25
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 94%

Cale Parks - Illuminated Manuscript

Reviewed by: Russ Hockenbury (08/03/06)
Cale ParksIlluminated Manuscript
Release Date: September 26, 2006
Label: Polyvinyl Records

I can already see the list of adjectives used to describe the first solo release from Aloha drummer, Cale Parks. Whimsical, enchanting, haunting. Those would all be apt if I were writing for some hipster indie trade magazine, or perhaps if I somehow morphed into the kid who runs that You Ain’t No Picasso blog. I’d bow down and kiss the ass of Parks for creating something so euphoric, so trippy. Up until now, I didn’t think I was that kind of a writer.

With his fondness for static and plethora of sound, Parks succeeds in creating nothing more than a symphony of background noise on Illuminated Manuscript…and that’s just fine. Credit Parks for not being as overwrought with ambition as a lot of those in the business of technology-savvy music. His album has more of a heart. Amongst others, the vibrating feedback and quirky percussion of “Galaxy 8180” gives the listener the feeling of actual space travel. Further, the urban jungle rhythm that is “Wet Paint” makes it a dangerously addictive head nodder.

Parks’ voice works as an afterthought on most of the album, not appearing at all on several tracks. His time behind the drum kit has given Parks an ear for sound and he uses that experience to the point of artistic license on Manuscript. His work here is more a conceptual art project of his life than anything else. Everything from the TV playing in the background to the hotel service bell, and even a meowing cat get in on Parks’ composition. At the risk of becoming one of “those” writers, Illuminated Manuscript is every bit whimsical, enchanting, and haunting. Damn, now I have to kick my own ass.

Noise-core: “Galaxy 8180”, “Wet Paint”, “Fearsome Opponent”

So Megan, I hear you like to experiment: The Method and the Result, Aloha, Multi-Panel

Displaying posts 1 - 12 of 12.
11:01 AM on 08/03/06
Grybo
True Punk Fan
User Info.
i like this cd a lottttt
11:14 AM on 08/03/06
LMB
Riding the Gravy Train.
User Info.
Originally Posted by Grybo
i like this cd a lottttt

So much, in fact, that you couldn't lift your finger from the T key.
11:16 AM on 08/03/06
KillMeTheKing26
http://twitter.com/killmetheking26
User Info.
i like it.
11:25 AM on 08/03/06
OveriseFan
is not Oversized...
User Info.
Haven't heard it, or of it.

I might check it out though, sounds neat.
12:25 PM on 08/03/06
reav
honestly, it was nothing.
User Info.
Russ, not only are you an amazing writer, but you also find words to describe music like this.
Wow.

That being said, even the newspost is effing hilarious/awesome.
12:32 PM on 08/03/06
GoWaitInTheCar
The World Won't Listen.
User Info.
Who would you compare this band to?
12:35 PM on 08/03/06
Russ Hockenbury
www.youtube.com/goodcomputerkids
User Info.
Originally Posted by GoWaitInTheCar
Who would you compare this band to?

The Method and the Result, Aloha, Multi-Panel

Experimental/electronic stuff. Take a listen here.
02:59 PM on 08/03/06
dbarker02
forever changes
User Info.
Originally Posted by Russ Hockenbury
...perhaps if I somehow morphed into the kid who runs that You Ain’t No Picasso blog...

I don't really see how this statement is applicable or appropriate. Matt is one of the least pretentious bloggers out there, as well as being highly active and reknowned in that particular medium. Cheap jabs, maybe?
03:42 PM on 08/03/06
Russ Hockenbury
www.youtube.com/goodcomputerkids
User Info.
Originally Posted by dbarker02
I don't really see how this statement is applicable or appropriate. Matt is one of the least pretentious bloggers out there, as well as being highly active and reknowned in that particular medium. Cheap jabs, maybe?

I have an ex-girlfriend that bites on every word Matt writes. That was more for her benefit. He's a respected blog. If anything, take it as a compliment.
11:42 AM on 08/10/06
ctgotmilk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Wow, can't believe I didn't see this before. Anyways, nice review. This awsome dude is my cousin. :D
12:12 PM on 08/10/06
HoldFastHope
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
You are, by far, the worst reviewer I've ever read. I read through some of your reviews and I'm just baffled at how self-involved and completely ineffectual your writing is. You spend so much time making a quirky quip that barely pertains to the music itself that you forget to actually analyze what you listened to. I don't know what the hell you're trying to accomplish other than that you're making some grand attempt to show how unique you are as a person and writer. You describe this cd like it's some sort of laser light show rather than a musical compilation. If that's your goal, congrats, otherwise you're just floudering.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests