500 Miles To Memphis - 03.15.10
|The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:|
500 Miles To Memphis
1. How did you get your band name?
While on a road trip to Dallas...saw a road marker that said 20 or so miles to Memphis... I thought that “...something...miles to memphis” would be a cool band name...made a note of that and when I got home decided to call the band “500 Miles To Memphis”.
2. How did this band get started?
Started in 2002...took my love of country and punk...took Kevin from MOTH...Noah Sugarman from Noah Sugarman...met Elaina and loved her singing...met Jeff at a club and had same music tastes...500 MTM was playing a Hank Williams Tribute show...David showed up to the show with a lap steel and played the show and I offered to have David play a show or 2 and David offered to join the band..and has been playing with us ever since.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
Green Day, Social Distortion, Beatles, Ben Folds, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash, Jerry Reed, Slayer, and a splash of various bluegrass.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
Beatles...because it would be badass to see them live and to open in front of millions of people; G’n R (in their prime) because growing up they were our epitome of a real rock band that made it; NOFX / Operation Ivy because both bands toured and worked their butts off without any money...just believed in who they are and the kind of music they write...to get where they are and 500 Miles To Memphis believes they would all get along great just on that alone...because that is how they feel... We aren’t in it for the money or fame... We’re doing it because they believe in what we’re doing...
5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
A Zak Galifanakis...because he rules!
6.Why should people listen to your band?
Because we work so hard to bring it to peoples ears...we live for playing live...we believe in it and hope everyone will relate to it and enjoy it.
7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
All My Friends Are Crazy (from Sunshine In A Shotglass” Deep Elm DER-464) is already on Rock Band and it is difficult...we’ve already seen it!
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Everyone who has helped us along the way...our friends..our family...Deep Elm... Erwin Musper...Geoff Eaton...Rob Walkerow...everyone that has let us crash on their floor...
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
The way the industry treats bands as sellable commodities instead of artists and human beings...(Jeff); We have been DIY for the past 7 years..so we’re really not currently part of the “giant or major” music industry yet...mainly because we haven’t been invited or considered...(Ryan)...somebody shouted “Ask PINK...she could probably tell you...
10. Memorable tour experience?
The landscape in New Mexico...getting to see the entire country and getting to see how truly beautiful it is...Playing our 1st sold out House of Blues show in Dallas,TX a couple years ago...Our sold out cd release show, this past February 26th at The Southgate House in Newport,KY. Sleeping in a house that smelled like dog piss and tomatoe soup (Kevin vomited twice). Getting to taste all the awesome regional food in various parts of the country. Once on the road, David was sleeping in someone’s bedroom and had to use the bathroom and the door was jammed and he kept yelling everyone’s name..in the middle of the night. Opening for Link Wray about 3 weeks before he passed away.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
It’s great to see a group of people coming together and keeping punk music alive and supporting the little bands like us... THANK YOU AP!!!
12. What is your favorite song to play?
Everybody Needs An Enemy
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Jerry Reed, Johnny Cash, The Cars, Tom Petty, Beatles, KISS, Beach Boys, Iron Maiden, Creedence Clearwater Revival, New Kids On The Block
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Irresistability to women (Ryan)...Flying (Noah & Jeff)...Invisibility (Kevin)...
16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Great sense of humor...constantly laughing 24/7...when we’re on the road.
18. What's your favorite holiday?
Halloween (Kevin); Noah says Hannakah; Jeff says Cinco de Mayo; Ryan says New Years
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Write songs...book shows/promote; we all teach music lessons
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Kevin...making funny voices
07:28 PM on 03/21/10
These guys are awesome. I saw the singer play at show at a bar here in okc. The entire crowd focused in on him. Pretty surreal moment.