AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
I Can Make a Mess Like Nobody's Business - The World... Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 9.5
Lyrics 10
Production 9
Creativity 9.5
Lasting Value 9.5
Reviewer Tilt 10
Final Verdict: 96%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.33
Musicianship 9.38
Lyrics 9.13
Production 9.42
Creativity 9.29
Lasting Value 9.17
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Average: 93%

I Can Make a Mess Like Nobody's Business - The World...

Reviewed by: jordalsh (03/24/10)
I Can Make a Mess Like Nobody's Business - The World We Know
Record Label: None
Release Date: March 23, 2010

Ace Enders is one musician who has remained consistently enjoyable and admirable in today's iffy music industry. But that's not to say that he hasn't evolved with each record. With three projects under his belt, he decided to turn around and continue work under the moniker I Can Make a Mess Like Nobody's Business. Six years after the self-titled release, not only has Enders been able to return to the simple, mostly acoustic background, he's been able to improve upon it greatly. The self-titled album was a force to reckoned with, but I had faith in Enders, and he sure came through.

The World We Know is meant to be one single big track split up into eleven parts. With that being said, the flow of this album is impeccable. From peppy and electric to slow and acoustic, the songs bounce and play off each other with ease. Enders is even able to throw in two previously heard songs ("Baby Steps" and "Rosary") and make them flow perfectly. The album has a way of commanding the listener's full attention through all of it's ups and downs, engulfing them, and filling their brain with its message.

Let the music engulf you.

Kicking off with television fuzz that brings back memories of the background noises from the self-titled, "Sleep Means Sleeping" begins slow and ominous before Enders' raw vocals explode over the somber music. The song changes a lot, gradually speeding up as it does. By throwing in some synth and an array of other instruments not commonly used by Enders, he creates a song that is unlike anything else he's ever done. The vocals are more rawly produced than ever, as highlighted in "My Hands Hurt," which gives an almost Manchester Orchestra feel, slow and lonely.

"Old Man.........." shows off some brilliantly matured lyricism backed by instrumentation that makes the song hit home. This six minute epic is possibly the best song Ace has ever penned, conveying every emotion over beautiful, swirling guitars. The song reminds us all of the reason that we listen to music: to be moved, to be so affected by the sound that we hear that we can't stand to not hit the repeat button, and to see an artist stretch their boundaries and create something new.

From some different, more experimental sounds to the original stripped-down acoustic tunes, Enders has created an album that will not only please old fans, but hopefully bring in many new ones. With the trials and tribulations of fatherhood that lay before him, he has shown his growing maturity with both fun and seriousness, somehow making the two intertwine and play off each other in a way that may leave the listener awestruck. There is so much I could say about this album, but I believe that none of it would do this work of art justice. Do you want to know if it's good? Well, its better than that, its fantastic. Should you buy it? Absolutely, it has my full recommendation. Listen and understand for yourself. The World We Know is a classic, and will go down as one of the musician's best to date.

Recommended If You LikeJimmy Eat World's Clarity; The Early November's The Rooms Too Cold; I Can Make a Mess Like Nobody's Business- Self-Titled, Ace Enders

myspace.com/icanmakeamesslikenobodysbusiness
Buy it.

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13
02:53 PM on 04/09/10
WoodenSoldier
take your time coming home
User Info.
I love this album so much.
06:27 AM on 04/10/10
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
I was hoping someone would review this.
Good review, I still need to check this record out.
12:57 PM on 04/10/10
gr33ndayfr3ak
www.nickferran.com
User Info.
This album is fantastic. Arguably my favorite material from Ace since The Room's Too Cold.
02:05 PM on 04/10/10
J(ason)
User Info.
great review, great album. honestly, im never let down by ace's work but this album surpassed already high expectations. all around amazing, catchy, meaningful, artistic music.

:)
02:30 PM on 04/11/10
Chris Collum
User Info.
I guess I should check this band out one of these days....
08:09 PM on 04/11/10
Loveless Lover
Fist fight in the park!
User Info.
I think I'm going to check this bad boy out.
04:03 PM on 04/15/10
jordalsh
twitter.com/Jordalsh
User Info.
I guess I should check this band out one of these days....

I think I'm going to check this bad boy out.

Do it. You will not regret it.
10:28 PM on 04/22/10
IndieKid!
The Registered User
User Info.
Good album, not amazing but enjoyable :]
10:59 AM on 05/02/10
dsmbrluv
I don't subscribe to labels...
User Info.
Great album! I picked it up when they played with Copeland in Atlanta for Copeland's farewell tour. I dare say I might have enjoyed the live show better if so many people had not been packed into that one room because you could barely hear them.
03:36 PM on 05/23/10
eatbabiesyum
Registered Infant Consumer
User Info.
im from ace's town (i just moved), and a bunch of friends of mine are recording their ep with him :)
05:25 AM on 09/15/11
tommyhaych
Mayor West
User Info.
Bit a latecomer to this album. Been urged to listen to this because of his newest cd. Sounds good so far, and it's just perfect to bask in during the cold winter months :-D
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests